Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon. Just rang local Volvo dealer to enquire about a new replacement for our current V40 to be informed that this model has been discontinued. Why? It’s a great car. No direct replacement is being planned. Was offered XC40 or S60. Sad day!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unfortunately, every man and his dog seems to want an "SUV". The C30 and V40 were both relatively easy for Volvo because they could just add their own bits on to the existing Ford Focus platform. As there are no ties between Ford and Volvo anymore, I guess it'd be a lot more work for them to make a small hatchback car (though I'm not sure what Geely, the new owners, could offer in all honesty). Probably not cost effective, sadly. Hopefully I am proved wrong in the future.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Production finished in Feb last year. There may still be some new ones or pre reg avaialble from stock if you ask around.

Model discontinued as the last non Geely Volvo left, old tech etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good afternoon. Just rang local Volvo dealer to enquire about a new replacement for our current V40 to be informed that this model has been discontinued. Why? It’s a great car. No direct replacement is being planned. Was offered XC40 or S60. Sad day!
It had been on the cards for at least a year.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Our V40 is from the days of Volvo and Ford. That's why it drives so nicely and unlike my two previous Volvos. V40 has the ford running gear, suspension , brakes , chassis etc. It was inevitable that these old Ford platform based Volvos would at some point be discontinued.
I may well look at a Focus if I ever change mine.
Ford even do recalls for things like door locks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would go for the S60. Great looks and powerfull engines with Geartronic.
I don't like SUV's, but a lot of woman also want them!
I would agree about the new S60. I have one. Inscription Plus and it is a superb car. Plenty of power across the whole range, smoothly available when required. Seats are the most comfortable Volvo seats to date I think. It is very comfortable at speeds above 40mph but can be a bit fidgety at lower speed. The cabin oozes style and prestige.

Only issue is that they are a tad more expensive than the V40 ever was. A decent spec will take you north of £40K (ouch). I see they are now on 0% finance in the UK so that might make it less painful?

·
Registered
108 Posts
All ready had the e mail from Volvo offering £2400 towards V60,as I have D3 5 cylinder,loads of go 60 mpg on a run 40 + round town £30 road tax,I will have to think about it,and I am drinking beer 🍻

·
Registered
200 Posts
The one thing putting me off a new car just now is the new UK road tax regime, was looking at a couple of used V90s and V60s and some of them were about £450 a year to tax.... I prefer my zero rated V40

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah, Volvo says that most of the customers who bought V40 will move to XC40. Well, not me. SUV? No, thank you very much. I hate sitting high, it feels so disconnected from driving. Like driving a van. I really still don't know what my future car will be. Maybe that new S60 but my favourite cars are hatchbacks (especially when they are powerful) so probably I will go with some offer from Germany.

·
Registered
17 Posts
SAD to say, i own a V40 D3 M2018, S60 M2004 2.0T AT, and a V40, T5 M2104 2.5 5CYL..... i will NEVER get rid of my V40 M2014 as i owned a Volvo480 in the UK. I am back in RSA and i will retain my V40 T5, 2.5, 5 CYL as an absolute collector.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Volvo discontinued V40 as it had insufficient line capacity to manufacture the better selling XC40.
Something had to go

·
Registered
200 Posts
Volvo discontinued V40 as it had insufficient line capacity to manufacture the better selling XC40.
Something had to go
That isn't true, Volvo announced the discontinuation of the V40 before the XC40 went on sale and into full production.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The two statements aren't in conflict though. Production planning in car factories isn't an overnight decision (usually).

I think it was always clear that the V40, being a Ford platform, wouldn't last that long. The main unknown was whether it would be replaced with something similar (a small hatchback) or just the XC40 would be the range entry model.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It will be interesting to see how they differentiate between that and the XC40 given the constraints of hybrid power etc.
To be honest I'd resigned myself to an XC40 next, it's no bigger on the road apart from height and has much more boot and cabin space than a V40. We chose a CC because it was slightly higher so easier for ingress/egress and the XC40 is a bit higher again but not excessively so. Not like a BMW X5 where you need a ladder.....

·
Registered
200 Posts
If there is going to be an electric model it has to be better priced that the XC40. The XC40 electric is probably missing out on many customers because the list price is more than £50k which means it doesn't qualify for the UK subsidy of £3000.

When you also consider the government will give you a 0% loan over 6 years on £35k to buy an electric car that costs £50k or less things like the Tesla Model 3 become more financially attractive.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It still looks like an SUV wannabe. I'll pass.
I suspect that this sort of look is inevitable as all Volvos move to some degree of electrification - a higher car means more space underneath for the batteries.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts