Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side rear door is locked and won’t unlock. All other doors are working fine but the rear door is locked and won’t open from the inside or outside. It doesn’t sound as if the mechanism inside is ‘catching’ when the other doors are locked/unlocked.

Has anybody else encountered this problem or has anyone got any advice please?

·
Registered
770 Posts
My driver side rear door is locked and won’t unlock. All other doors are working fine but the rear door is locked and won’t open from the inside or outside. It doesn’t sound as if the mechanism inside is ‘catching’ when the other doors are locked/unlocked.

Has anybody else encountered this problem or has anyone got any advice please?
well known problem can be replaced under Volvo warrantee for up to 4 years, check link for full details ok

http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/7-volvo-v40-general-discussion/794-door-locking.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks EGB, my car is a 2012 model so unfortunately I am out of warranty. 👎

I have read somewhere online that it might be an electrical relay that could be causing the fault which is something that I could correct myself. If it is an internal fault within the door I am unable to get the door panel off as the door is locked shut?

·
Registered
328 Posts

I have read somewhere online that it might be an electrical relay that could be causing the fault which is something that I could correct myself. If it is an internal fault within the door I am unable to get the door panel off as the door is locked shut?
Usually need a replacement panel after a door lock change, after cutting it up to get to the problem lock.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

It's not a fault with a relay (the locks aren't driven by a relay, they are opened and closed by messages sent from the Central Electronic Module to the Door Modules, which then activate the lock motors). As egb said, it's a well-known fault due to a faulty batch of lock motor units that affected some MY12-13 cars. Unfortunately getting the door open requires manually winding the lock motor back, which usually involves cutting holes into the door card and moulded plastic door subframe to gain access.

·
Registered
613 Posts
This is something Volvo should do as a safety recall in my opinion. Known acknowledged issue that Volvo are aware and admit to.

Imagine is someone was trapped in the rear of the car after an accident and the quick response team could not access very well.

Can't rospa force a recall?

·
Registered
770 Posts
This is something Volvo should do as a safety recall in my opinion. Known acknowledged issue that Volvo are aware and admit to.

Imagine is someone was trapped in the rear of the car after an accident and the quick response team could not access very well.

Can't rospa force a recall?
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

perhaps a letter to Volvo head office might bring some offer even if it is over 4 years with regard to safety worth a try.
our first v40 cc used to lock us out and returned after 8 months, fault was later said to be conflict between tpm using same setting as door locks in the main computer, but could never feel confident in the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.
The very sam has happened to me. Had two incidences in Nov & Dec that seemed to rectify themselves. Now a third time - it really will not open. The ridiculous thing is my dealer wants to charge me £50 to investigate a problem they, and Volvo already know about. It is a safety as well as inconvenience issue & has stopped me from part exchanging my V40 for an XC60. Will have to get it sorted next pay day to be able to sell a car I have lost confidence in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have just started having this issue with my V40 D2 cc. Have it going in for a warranty check with the car people whom I bought it from and purchased a 3yr extended warranty from. Hopefully it is covered.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Harrats of Wakefield changed both my rear door locks with the car 3 months out of warranty. its a safety issue, get onto head office and put your case strongley but politely to them.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Can you please explain how does one go about rewinding the door lock motor and how to remove the door panel trim on a locked door? Ann.
Nobody outside of Volvo's dealer network knows, unfortunately. I can just about see how it might be possible to remove the door cars, but underneath that is a large moulded plastic subframe that all the mechanical and electronic components (including the lock mechanism) are attached to, and removing that requires access to the wiring connector at the front end of the door and the lock mechanism retaining screws in the rear end of the door.

My guess is that they use a hole saw drill in a specific location on the plastic subframe to get access to the lock mechanism and somehow cycle it manually to allow the door to be opened so it can be removed and replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have joined the club. The electronics is operating but the driver side rear door does not open. Oddly, the door has failed just after the 80 000 kms service and the end of warranty. The workshop checked the error messages today for 69 € and reported that the door lock needs to be changed due to a mechanical failure. The replacement will cost additional 500 €. What a price for a crappy part! I am starting to lose confidence in the otherwise solid-looking car : ( Mine is V40 T4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Volvo v40 (63 plate) rear driver side door has door the very same thing. Locked shut and refuses to open from both inside and outside.

It’s out of warranty. But got it going into a local garage we use to see if they can do anything if not then is there anyway to manually get the door card off and rewind it manually?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My guess is that they use a hole saw drill in a specific location on the plastic subframe to get access to the lock mechanism and somehow cycle it manually to allow the door to be opened so it can be removed and replaced.
Just adding to this what information I have should be helpful to anyone.

I’ve put mine in a local garage where an ex Volvo guy is working on it. I’ve been told they have to move the back seats to get access to a ‘metal’ subframe where they have to drill the rivits out. But the angle which they need to get access to doesn’t make it easy.

They are currently spraying some ‘stuff’ to see if it will come off without having to drill.

Sorry it’s not much information but that’s all I have. Hopefully someone more experienced here might have an idea based on this?

·
Registered
200 Posts
There's a link posted above by egb a couple of years ago post 7, perhaps report your problem to the uk gov vehicle safety recall dept.

Volvo should do a safety recall on this, the problem is being posted on here constantly ,

I bet mechanics are saying ' they all do that ' by now.

Volvo pride themselves on safety yet this inherent fault could be catastrophic after a serious accident.

·
Registered
200 Posts
But the service advisers or customer managers (whatever theyre called this week) will still pull that fat lip expression while saying no, haven't heard of that before!
You're right ! That's the problem with main dealers, you rarely get to interact with the staff who actually work on your vehicle. All those swish customer waiting areas and coffee machines. The parts people can be helpful as they know which parts are in demand and sometimes don't seem to have that dreadful fire-wall culture that you find elsewhere in a dealership.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts