Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Volvo v40 t4 66.000km
Last year I had problems with rear right door. It wouldn't open from the in or outside. I don't know how, but I fixed it myself by spraying some contact spray in/on it. The reparation would have cost me 400 euros.
Now after a year, I have had the same problems with front right, 2 days later rear left and another week later was my rear right again broken.
How come Volvo doesn't think this a failure from their side? This is not normal...
Any help? Claims? Fixing?
Thx in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All

Re V40 CROSS COUNTRY REAR DOOR LOCK 2013 failure / door stuck shut after using key fob and handle together

I have just sorted out one nearside us rear door lock and opened the door

I posted the explaination under " engine and technical " Sorry I thought "TECHNICAL " I'm new to forum ,

Its possible to open door with out major damage to the inner door card but its very difficult job
JC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi my mirror fell off yesterday, luck did not break, so used the old double sided tap to fix back in place, but at also back door drivers side wont open now , has the car has only done less than 32,0000, I contacted Volvo to see if they can do anything, apparently Volvo have a policy, not a recall on this book in for a Tec to say yes the door wont open!!, in the hope Volvo pay for the repair wall keep you all posted
thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like we have a Volvo V40 etc Rear Door stay's locked club, which I appear to have joined. Miraculously today it unlocked, I was considering removing the inner panel and 'sprying the lock with some stuff', but reading the posts this would seem futile. Volvo e-mail time it seems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
4 months ago I had same problem, on just one door to start with.
My son said it happened when he was trying to use the key fob to open the car at the same time as someone lifted the rear door handle .
DON'T TRY THIS. What a fool I was.
We DID and " no surprise" we had two locked doors.
I was able to sort it out, but it is an awfully difficult job, I listed the process in engine and technical.
I am ex H craft technician and have a good tool kit but It is a struggle.
In short (IN MINE) the electric actuator bar in the lock rotates and operates the child lock. Due to corrosion / wear a tension spring slips off the bar so it stays in

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry slipped on the pad keys
In mine the bar could not return or rotate, so the child lock was permanently on. Volvo have modified the door card to ease its removal.
But from other posts it looks like new lock is £300 job, I repaired both of mine as my car is outof warrenty
If your door is OK now that's good news. Hope this info helps the decide your next actions Regards JC

·
Registered
16 Posts
HI welcome to the None Opening Door club, we had it on our 15 plate car only 30,000 on the clock, our bill was reduced bu 50%, and I did quote this forum a lot during negotiations with my local Volvo dealer, as well as facebook, twitter you name it every social site I could think of

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've recently bought a used V40 which at the start had door problems, but I was promised by the store that they will take care of it (they are Volvo partner). They have replaced the locks at both front doors which had the problem and now it doesn't happen anymore that doors don't unlock from inside. But if you exit the the car and want to open any other door from outside they remain locked until I press the unlock button (on drivers side or from the remote). Is this normal behaviour or I need to go back to service?

Also the option which unlocks the car by having the key nearby only works for the trunk door.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
In lock settings there is an option to open drivers door first only, and then other doors with second push of the remote button. So could be lock settings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My driver side rear door is locked and won’t unlock. All other doors are working fine but the rear door is locked and won’t open from the inside or outside. It doesn’t sound as if the mechanism inside is ‘catching’ when the other doors are locked/unlocked.

Has anybody else encountered this problem or has anyone got any advice please?
Same problem with my V40 - cannot understand why there has not been a vehicle recall. Have filed a report via the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency - straightforward thing to do - and they have indicated that they will investigate. Suggest that all those affected file similar reports, the more that the DVSA receive the more likely that they will require a recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 V40 Cross Country with the same issue. Scoured these forums and some great advice on here, also took mine to a local mechanic who was also an auto-electrician. He gave me some advice to try before bringing the car back if I was still stuck, combined with the info here I got it to work.

Situation:
Previously occurred and rectified itself but stuck for weeks now. Both rear doors would not open. I know one had the child lock on as well. Pressing the fob/door release you can hear/feel the solenoids trying to work in both doors so I knew power was getting there.

Fix:
Tried pushing/pulling door previously whilst pressing key fob. Did not work. Final method that did work was (This I think was the key factor) having the engine running when trying so more voltage could go to the solenoids. Back windows down, me intermittently pushing/pulling whilst trying the handles both inside and out and the same time. Also had my wife pressing the unlock button from the drivers door. As I said I tried if before but the only difference was having the engine running. Managed to get both doors open, but the one with the child lock seemed harder (Turned off the childlock after that).

I've squirted a lot of WD40 in there now and I'm bordeline on if I should replace at this point when they are working or not But I will let you know how long it lasts. Just putting this on there to say there is hope of fixing without paying or at least getting a temporary resolution/cheaper repair job without the damage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK so if you have the doors open, take the locks out and give them a good clean an lub, use penetrating oil not WD, when mine went I was told it was because water gets in Volvo now install new ones with a bigger rubber cover to prevent this so fit a plastic/rubber cover

21 - 33 of 33 Posts