Volvo V40 Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have joined the club...
My 2013 V40 D2 had the rear door lock (passenger side) not working. I brought the car at Volvo Watford and because the MoT was due in 2 days and defective door locks would be an MoT failure, I was in a "ransom" situation where I couldn't get out. The bill was a staggering £501. Later I discovered that the part costs only £18 on eBay (used). If I had time I could have done it myself.... The annoying thing is that -as soon as I arrived home- the other rear door lock (driver side) stopped working! Now Volvo is saying that "this could happen" and it's probably another £500. To me it's a strange coincidence...I am not going to pay another bill like that one. I wonder if this is an electrical problem, maybe a fuse or relay....?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think it’s mechanical with the deadlock.

Apparently,particularly in cold weather, the deadlock part can jam locked.

£500 a door is a crazy price for a design fault. Volvo should be replacing them all for free or coming up with a fix.

Luckily my drivers door lock was covered by warranty but any of the other doors could still go in the future.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Can I say, only on early cars, newer ones dont have the screw! its worth removing the screw behind a blanking cap on the door card, its only accessible with the door open, and so you risk destroying the panel if you need to remove to get at the lock...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My driver side rear door is locked and won’t unlock. All other doors are working fine but the rear door is locked and won’t open from the inside or outside. It doesn’t sound as if the mechanism inside is ‘catching’ when the other doors are locked/unlocked.

Has anybody else encountered this problem or has anyone got any advice please?
Yes I have the exact same issue. From read up on it on this site and all over the next seems like a manufacturer known fault.

·
Registered
2017, D2, SUM, CW, PAP, LED, NAV, R+F CAM
19 Posts
Hi, guys! It seems to be a construction mismatch that the rear doors don't open/close in winter. I usually use WD40 to prevent locks icening. In addition, we have to lubricate the opposite site of the levers to let the sensors work properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My driver side rear door is locked and won’t unlock. All other doors are working fine but the rear door is locked and won’t open from the inside or outside. It doesn’t sound as if the mechanism inside is ‘catching’ when the other doors are locked/unlocked.

Has anybody else encountered this problem or has anyone got any advice please?

I had the same problem with my rear driver side door. Warranty had ended 3/4 month before the issue appeared and tried emailing head office but they said i have to pay the full price. I left it for 1+ year until I came across this video a few days ago on how to release the dead lock and it worked. Takes about an hour and some patience but could save you some money.
Might be a bit late, but in case anyone else cones across this issue

41 - 47 of 47 Posts