Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've a 2012 plate(62) V40 - I had a 3 year warranty from Volvo when I bought it as a used car and I added another year's warranty- that all came to an end at the end of October /early November this year 2019. Just before Christmas 2019 the off side rear door wouldn't unlock, and then a week later the same happened to the other rear door. I read on this forum that it's a common problem but it seems Volvo isn't consistent in their approach to dealing with it. I took it in to Marshalls in Cambridge today. They charged me £74 to confirm that both rear door locks needed replacing (something I'd already told them!) and it would cost £538.80. They said they had approached 'Volvo' to see if they would cover the cost under 'good will' but were told they couldn't as my car hadn't been 'within the network'. I challenged this, stating the warranty had only ended a few weeks before the fault and that I had always had the car serviced with Volvo parts. I also said I had heard the customer in front of me be given a 60% discount on exactly the same problem as a good will gesture. The guy dealing with me (manager?) said it was because the other volvo 'came in and out' of their dealership regularly. I suggested that as a known safety issue (which he acknowledged) then perhaps Volvo should have recalled it- he said it would only be dealt with under warranty (which mine is now not covered by) or out of warranty cars that are 'in the network'. I went to my local independent garage and they said that being in a 'network' is rubbish and that as long as it has always had volvo parts then volvo should hpnour the 'good will'. Can anyone advise me?

I

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi,
I've a 2012 plate(62) V40 - I had a 3 year warranty from Volvo when I bought it as a used car and I added another year's warranty- that all came to an end at the end of October /early November this year 2019. Just before Christmas 2019 the off side rear door wouldn't unlock, and then a week later the same happened to the other rear door. I read on this forum that it's a common problem but it seems Volvo isn't consistent in their approach to dealing with it. I took it in to Marshalls in Cambridge today. They charged me £74 to confirm that both rear door locks needed replacing (something I'd already told them!) and it would cost £538.80. They said they had approached 'Volvo' to see if they would cover the cost under 'good will' but were told they couldn't as my car hadn't been 'within the network'. I challenged this, stating the warranty had only ended a few weeks before the fault and that I had always had the car serviced with Volvo parts. I also said I had heard the customer in front of me be given a 60% discount on exactly the same problem as a good will gesture. The guy dealing with me (manager?) said it was because the other volvo 'came in and out' of their dealership regularly. I suggested that as a known safety issue (which he acknowledged) then perhaps Volvo should have recalled it- he said it would only be dealt with under warranty (which mine is now not covered by) or out of warranty cars that are 'in the network'. I went to my local independent garage and they said that being in a 'network' is rubbish and that as long as it has always had volvo parts then volvo should hpnour the 'good will'. Can anyone advise me?

I
I myself also have fault back lock passangers side.. My car is a 65 plate and it is 2 weeks full cost being paid so they'll cover upto 50 percent.. I have friends that work at Volvo in different dealerships across the UK and was told the car needed to be serviced at Volvo every year or had repairs done for them to offer you 50 percent or some sort of discount due to your loyalty taking it to them to be serviced. I understand what they mean by that as if you've maintained the car with them and parts go wrong then they feel we've done our part by taking it to them to be fixed instead of going elsewhere that could of caused the issue (even though its fully known as a common issue).

If you're handy with stuff on your car there is a thread on a Facebook page if you're on there and one of the members does a step by step on how to fix it if the car is out of warranty and you don't want to pay any cash out and fix it yourself

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I have repaired both of my rear door locks and refitted them ( About a week ago )
I have posted an over view of the job on engine and technical .
Its a difficult job but can be done at no cost if your lucky enough to have the same fault as I .
Regards JC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I
I had the same problem with my rear driver side door. Warranty had ended 3/4 month before the issue appeared and tried emailing head office but they said i have to pay the full price. I left it for a 1+ until I came across this video on how to release the dead lock and it worked. Takes about an hour and some patience but could save you some money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts