Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the rear door locks. It started with the right-hand side rear door last Saturday. The handle outside did nothing, but I was able to open the door from the inside. Today the left-hand rear door lock jammed too. I couldn't open it no matter what, not even from the inside. Right-hand rear door can still be opened from the inside. I find this very strange.

The weather outside is currently from 0 to 5 °C. At the moment it can't be a icing problem, moisture at most or some electrical problem.

Dear forum members, do you have any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tip. Guess I have to discuss the issue with my dealer. Not surprisingly the warranty has just expired 9 months ago.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sandy - this has to be a safety issue and should have, in my view, been subject to a recall by Volvo. I would ask the dealers to fix, regardless of the warrranty. As Buby says it is a known issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Huh, had a Audi A3 with constant lock troubles (freezing). I hope I don't have to visit dealer ever with my Volvo's locks, "knocks on the wood".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer solved the issues with the locks. Locks on both of the rear doors had to be changed i.e. put in new parts and the dealer (ultimately manufacturer) picked up the bill. That's what I call service. They even kept the car in the carage for the night to keep it warm and dry. It's currently –28 °C here - talk about winter. At the end of the day I'm one happy Volvo customer once again. Looking forward to enjoying carefree driving :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
So this very day, the dealer is replacing the LAST of the four door locks as I have had a succession of lock-ins over the few months I had the car. All under extended warranty. I would thi8nk that judging by the number of issues this seems to raise, Volvo may regret not having a recall at the start when they realised there was a problem. I hope this sees me finished with dodgy door locks now ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been told that pressing the open button twice in your car keys will unlock the doors. It has worked for me, though the dealer also found an issue with one of the door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also had a problem with a jammed door today. The back left. I can't open it in any way. The problem with the faulty locks was only the V40 from the first years of production or MY'2015 too? I think there's a fate hanging over my Volvo. First he stopped heating my seat and now this door :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had one rear door lock jam a month ago, after a little nudging the dealer checked and said that Volvo have a plan in place to cover half the cost of replacement in 4th year (possibly longer?), the total was just over £300, so my contribution £150 plus VAT. But now the other rear lock has jammed, so I'm starting to think I will have to go through this a few more times, surely the manufacturer has responsibility to fix this properly rather than piecemeal.

Has anyone had any luck getting all locks replaced by Volvo at their cost?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had one rear door lock jam a month ago, after a little nudging the dealer checked and said that Volvo have a plan in place to cover half the cost of replacement in 4th year (possibly longer?), the total was just over £300, so my contribution £150 plus VAT. But now the other rear lock has jammed, so I'm starting to think I will have to go through this a few more times, surely the manufacturer has responsibility to fix this properly rather than piecemeal.

Has anyone had any luck getting all locks replaced by Volvo at their cost?
My rear locks have stopped working - I am advised that Volvo will make a goodwill contribution, leaving the lock replacement cost at €288 for both doors, including VAT.

Volvo customer service has made an admission via email that it is a known issue but they do not accept that it is a safety issue. In my view - or that of any reasonable person - it is a primarily a safety issue and the cars affected should be recalled. If the child locks were engaged and the car involved in an accident, the rear doors would not be openable. In fact, if the child locks are engaged when the lock fails, I have no idea how a mechanic can get the door open to replace the lock. Currently, mine open by pulling the interior handle and have to be relocked manually, via a key slot in the side of the door. So, I am not accepting Volvo's response or their "goodwill" gesture. I am getting an engineers report and on the basis of this will take appropriate legal action against Volvo Cars. It is not acceptable that any manufacturer ignores a safety issue or leaves a customer to bear the cost of parts that are known to be faulty.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My rear locks have stopped working - I am advised that Volvo will make a goodwill contribution, leaving the lock replacement cost at €288 for both doors, including VAT.

Volvo customer service has made an admission via email that it is a known issue but they do not accept that it is a safety issue. In my view - or that of any reasonable person - it is a primarily a safety issue and the cars affected should be recalled. If the child locks were engaged and the car involved in an accident, the rear doors would not be openable. In fact, if the child locks are engaged when the lock fails, I have no idea how a mechanic can get the door open to replace the lock. Currently, mine open by pulling the interior handle and have to be relocked manually, via a key slot in the side of the door. So, I am not accepting Volvo's response or their "goodwill" gesture. I am getting an engineers report and on the basis of this will take appropriate legal action against Volvo Cars. It is not acceptable that any manufacturer ignores a safety issue or leaves a customer to bear the cost of parts that are known to be faulty.
Ford have a recall for door-locks for a latch-spring problem, same age vehicles, including the Focus Volvo was part of Ford for our Focus based V40s, there may be no connection but interesting how different countries react to similar problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts