Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have V40 Kinetic originally produced for Italian market.
As the original Volvo rear view camera was way too expensive and I have retrofitted cheap chienese rear view cameras successfully to most of my vechicles, I ordered a "rear view camera preparation" option for my brand new V40 without having any idea what exactly this option includes.
Actually I was hoping that once I have the car I can somehow retrofit a cheap camera and I also hoped that I will find some guidance from Internet.
Does anyone know what this option includes and if my 5" screen has a Video input? Any idea where to find it out?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Accroding to wiring digramm, analogue video signal move from camera to ICM unit directly, so I think you can add chinese camera and apply software upgrade from Volvo dealer (this is cheap) for opening camera option in ICM.
If you want I can send whole wiring diagram PDF (only russian, sorry). PM me

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you want a cheap but efficient way to install a camera, there is a firm in the nethelands, known by the famous volvo swedespeed forum. He can do anything with the electrical part in volvo's. Just google volvotech en you will find Bob, who always helps everyone around the world with volvo's! Good luck!

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow that guide is super thorough. Not sure how brave I will be when I collect my car in two months to run all that though.
Any know cost ideas on what volvo charge for the software upgrade ?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am determined that somehow this must be able to be achieved. With a £15 camera from eBay and some expert elec engineering. It's only a screen in the dash, I will have a word with a few mates but really can't see this being so in depth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I have a V40 Business MY2014 with the 5inch screen.
Nobody has been able to install the camera after buying the car?
My dealer told me that you can't upgrade with camera because the car has to be prepared at the origin.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
The 5" screen is a bit small for a decent camera view. Also the camera/display is connected to a number of other parts of the car, the steering moves the guidance lines and the 'cam' button alters to a closer view. I am not sure where these extra inputs effect the displayed picture i.e. Before or after the feed gets to the camera input for the physical display but this may cause you issues

·
Registered
389 Posts
I tried to have volvo install the rear camera on my 2014 v40 rdesign but after checking the spec of my car they say it couldnt be done. Not a happy bunny as i was told this could all be done without issue before i bought the car.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I tried to have volvo install the rear camera on my 2014 v40 rdesign but after checking the spec of my car they say it couldnt be done. Not a happy bunny as i was told this could all be done without issue before i bought the car.
I hope you kicked off and got something out of them, the v40 rear camera is one of the best and useful due to the high rear stance (big gap between wheel and arch) and the high boot lid

·
Registered
729 Posts
All a question of getting a good feel for the size of the car...
And exercising parking against cardboard boxes (don't laugh, I did). That gives you a very good idea of size. Still need to watch out for hidden dangers (low poles) before reversing though :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I hope you kicked off and got something out of them, the v40 rear camera is one of the best and useful due to the high rear stance (big gap between wheel and arch) and the high boot lid
I managed to wangle something off them as compensation as my car was also supposed to come with an auto dimming mirror but it didnt. It took a while to get our the anger and frustration but am nearly there hahaha

·
Registered
4 Posts
simple answer to this is a WiFi reversing camera and an app for your smart phone or an additional 5" screen or reversing mirror that fit's over the Volvo one. there's even one that looks just like the factory fitted Volvo and almost the same thickness, to hardwire the screen/mirror you run the cable around the window screen down the door pillar and either use a 12v socket as the device comes with the plug or cut that off and hard wire.
I think I'm going for the smart phone app as you drill the blank whole on the lifting lip on the rear hatch then run the cables/WiFi sender through the rubber hose and down to the reversing light. The reversing cameras all have the reversing guide lines.

Check Google/Amazon as all the options are available and at a fraction of the ridiculous Volvo prices.

Volvo V40 D4 Rdesign Gear Tronic Sensus Connect Nav

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So it looks like the "rear view camera preparation" option means that the ICM (screen) has a coaxial connector on the back side for video input.
In other words, if this option is not ordered from factory there is no video input connector and the only way to get video signal into display is via some kind of Video Break in Box:
http://car-solutions.com/en/video-interface-for-volvo-from-2014-my.php?currency=19
or
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...Camera-Video-Interface/425934_2033783216.html

So I have the the option ordered and I have the coaxial Video connector behind the 5" screen.
Now the next step is how to enable the Video input at reverse gear.
I hoped that the last step in this instruction "Order and download software according to: 31330702" would do the trick.
http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...wDocument/ShowIiDocument/VCC-453934-1/NOTHING

I was at dealer today trying to load the software and the attempt was not successful. Software loading failed because of missing PAC module.

So I am still looking for a trick how to enable the video input at reverse gear. Might be that I just need to issue a corresponding CAN/LIN bus command. Similar cheaper devices for enabling "Video in motion" are available.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
As far as hardware goes, when the 'PAC Prep' option is selected all the factory fit is the tailgate loom that has the additional wiring for the camera that terminates at the left hand C-pillar. However, the option also means the factory will load the PAC software module into the Central Electronic Module. If your car was built without the 'PAC prep' option, then this is why when the dealer tried to apply the 'PAC enable' download it said the module wasn't present (the VIDA accessory software downloads are normally only small config files that enable software modules that are already present in the CEM).

This is way Volvo's software has worked for a long time - you can fit the extra hardware for any available option, but if the car was not originally built with that option, or the 'prep' option to fit and enable it in the future, the download to enable it won't be accepted.

VIDA can be used to enable or update software modules that are already loaded in the CEM, or to program a blank replacement CEM, ECU or other module with the software modules and config the car was built with (or has since been officially updated to - VIDA retrieves the current build state and configs from Volvo's server via the VIN). However, Volvo does not allow extra software modules that were not part of the original build spec to be downloaded to the CEM.

There are some companies that have managed to reverse engineer the reprogramming of some modules for some Volvo models (XeMODex, for example) so that used modules can be 'blanked' and reprogrammed for your car (though you still need your existing module for them to retrieve the contents from) , but there's nothing like that available for the current V40 as of yet. The V40 also uses different CAN dialect to other Volvos (more like Ford's, from what I have read), so the suppliers of CAN function extenders like Volvotech have not got anything available for it yet either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.