Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello all, so I replaced the rear view mirror yesterday. Honestly, loads of fun

So the mirror itself pops off the stalk which was fairly easy, then putting the new mirror onto the stalk was a pain. I pushed a little to hard without supporting the back enough and pulled the stalk/mount off. Refitting the stalk/mount was awful but after removing the plastic trim it was easy. It goes on 90 deg facing the passenger side and then twist it back central. There is a earth cable that needs to go back into the stalk/mount if removed. Then re-add the plastic trim and finally attempt again with the mirror.

Also I noticed the stalk/mount I got with the new mirror was different in size and shape to the old so I kept the old.

This is the connection point that the rear view mirror stalk/mount connects to.

Left =old mount vs right new mount, Volvo part numbers on show I case anyone needs one. Shouldn’t though as they look like casts.

Left old, right new.

Same connection.

This is the connection point with everything removed. Trim was really easy to remove, start at top right, then reassemble start at top left after it has been fed over mount.

New mirror in place.

Any questions give me a shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, so I replaced the rear view mirror yesterday. Honestly, loads of fun

So the mirror itself pops off the stalk which was fairly easy, then putting the new mirror onto the stalk was a pain. I pushed a little to hard without supporting the back enough and pulled the stalk/mount off. Refitting the stalk/mount was awful but after removing the plastic trim it was easy. It goes on 90 deg facing the passenger side and then twist it back central. There is a earth cable that needs to go back into the stalk/mount if removed. Then re-add the plastic trim and finally attempt again with the mirror.

Also I noticed the stalk/mount I got with the new mirror was different in size and shape to the old so I kept the old.

This is the connection point that the rear view mirror stalk/mount connects to.

Left =old mount vs right new mount, Volvo part numbers on show I case anyone needs one. Shouldn’t though as they look like casts.

Left old, right new.

Same connection.

This is the connection point with everything removed. Trim was really easy to remove, start at top right, then reassemble start at top left after it has been fed over mount.

New mirror in place.

Any questions give me a shout.

Hi Steven.
I am trying to get the stalk back on to the hex. But I can't. I have followed every instruction from you so far but it won't go on. Please help me.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Steven.
I am trying to get the stalk back on to the hex. But I can't. I have followed every instruction from you so far but it won't go on. Please help me.
Hello Carprods
Okay so the bottom of the stalk has three clips, these are shown in the picture of the two stalks (pic 4 from the top). These are what attach to the off shaped hexagon (pic 5 from the top). put the stalk to the hex so it slots over, it will be at an angle slightly towards passenger side if i remember correctly. Then twist whilst pushing towards the window, it will be a sudden jump and its on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello Carprods
Okay so the bottom of the stalk has three clips, these are shown in the picture of the two stalks (pic 4 from the top). These are what attach to the off shaped hexagon (pic 5 from the top). put the stalk to the hex so it slots over, it will be at an angle slightly towards passenger side if i remember correctly. Then twist whilst pushing towards the window, it will be a sudden jump and its on.
If you put it on at the correct angle initially it wont feel like it is on, when you twist it, it is quite unnerving as it doesn't feel right. Also i was very concious of the force applied towards the window (incase i slipped and scratched it).

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you put it on at the correct angle initially it wont feel like it is on, when you twist it, it is quite unnerving as it doesn't feel right. Also i was very concious of the force applied towards the window (incase i slipped and scratched it).
It is this bit you are attaching it to: - 1591189556323.png

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Steven.
Its also best to remove the wire, just makes it easier. I also found it easier without the mirror itself on and attached that after.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi

I have a 2013 V40 D2 SE which I have had since it was almost new.

Yesterday the rimless rear view mirror glass fell off. It didn't break so
I am wondering if this is something that gets stuck back on or do i need a new unit.

I would be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else.

jc
There have been numerous complaints on line about this, unless your car is under warranty Volvo dealers say you have to have a complete new mirror system..........£94 fitted!!!!!!!
I have temporarily put the mirror back fixed with double sided carpet tape, BUT, it still tendsto slide down a little in very hot weather and need pushing back. (I fixed that by putting a strip of transparent Celotape at end round the mirror and to the back of it.) COST: about 10p.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My rear view mirror started slipping off the other day. I took it to Volvo, thy said they had never seen this happen before. I fixed it back on with some double sided tape but it looks damaged around the edges of the mirror. I think I will just put up with it as I can't imagine the price of a new one, plus the price of getting it fitted. Does anyone know how much it would be out of interest?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My rear view mirror started slipping off the other day. I took it to Volvo, thy said they had never seen this happen before. I fixed it back on with some double sided tape but it looks damaged around the edges of the mirror. I think I will just put up with it as I can't imagine the price of a new one, plus the price of getting it fitted. Does anyone know how much it would be out of interest?
I bought the mirror of eBay new from an approved Volvo OEM supplier for £60.00 fitted myself guide in this thread. It’s was a bit of a pain. I to tried to live with one I had glued together but the edges were all damaged and for some reason it was really annoying me. So took the plunge.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts