Volvo V40 Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
May I ask those guys with this mirror problem...
It seems that soon or later will happen to every car. What can be done as pre-"treatment" to prevent this to happen?
To apply some glue around, or some sticky tape or something else?...
What are your suggestions?

·
Registered
556 Posts
May I ask those guys with this mirror problem...
It seems that soon or later will happen to every car. What can be done as pre-"treatment" to prevent this to happen?
To apply some glue around, or some sticky tape or something else?...
What are your suggestions?
Just leave it. Glue or sticky tape will just ruin the aesthetic of the rimless mirror. If/When it falls off clean both parts with alcohol wipes to remove any dirt/grease/remains of old glue... then use some heavy duty 3M pads to stick it back in place.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
546 Posts
Ive been thinking about the primer delaminating from the glass, might be worth asking a friendly "autoglass" type chappie for a quick spread, or buy a 30ml pot from a source including a well known action site before the new adhesive is applied. The same delamination fault is prevalent on many range rover front screens, un-noticed it can cause upwards of 10k's worth of damage, makes our mirror issue fairly trivial!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Does anyone know if it also performs any optical or protective function. Just wondering before I apply any adhesive to the now-exposed back of the glass?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spotted discolouration/dark spots (almost like peeled away foil) around the edge of the rimless mirror in my 2013 D4 around a year after I bought the car in 2015. I made a Volvo dealer aware of it when the car was in for warranty work (door seal replacement). They replaced the mirror as part of the work - but the replacement mirror has a rim around it. When I asked about the difference, I was told that it was a design change to address problems with the mirror glass dis-bonding from the mirror. Pics of new mirror below.

Same problem on 18 plate V40 T2 Rdesign with 24k miles.
Spoke with local dealer and replaced complete mirror under 100% Goodwill from Volvo. No charge.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts