Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my V40 for three weeks now, am very pleased with it, getting 54mpg at the mo having done some 760 miles. However, the only thing I'm not happy about is the rear view mirror - when I was ordering the car, I was told it was auto-dimming and when I collected it I was told oh, sorry it's not. Does anyone know whether I can have this replaced retrospectively? Had I known it wasn't auto-dimming, I would have upgraded this.

·
Registered
389 Posts
No you cant. I had the exact same issue with my car. The salesman had since left and it took over 8months of emailing volvo sweden directly to come to a compromise. Still have the standard mirror.

·
Registered
389 Posts
They fitted a dimming mirror to mine but couldnt get it to work, even fitted the one without homelink. Something to do with the software of the car. They couldnt get a software patch to make it work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
They fitted a dimming mirror to mine but couldnt get it to work, even fitted the one without homelink. Something to do with the software of the car. They couldnt get a software patch to make it work.
Unless the software needs to be updated to provide a continuous current which i doubt, the dim function itself is not controlled by the software, all that is needed is power.

Like i said though i'm not sure if there is continuous power fed to the lead, or even if there is a lead there to plug the mirror in.
In theory it should just plug in and work.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thsts what it thought. But i had it all agreed, they fitted the mirror plugged the supply cable in but still couldnt get it to work, i have even asked companies outside of volvo who say it csnt be done (not yet anyways).

But if he can get it sorted good luck coz its the one thing that i couldnt do, but want the most. Espically since the dark nights have set in.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Take a look at the accessories site! When it comes to auto dimming mirror, there is a brown box at the end of the page, stating "Not suitable for cars with manual mirror". This statement makes me believe that Pchende is right.
But I still wonder : If the auto dimming mirror is not suitable fr cars with manual mirror, then what the ..... is it suitable for ?

This is the link to the accessory site for Greece:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gr/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-471781/2013/D2/Manual

·
Registered
382 Posts
Take a look at the accessories site! When it comes to auto dimming mirror, there is a brown box at the end of the page, stating "Not suitable for cars with manual mirror". This statement makes me believe that Pchende is right.
But I still wonder : If the auto dimming mirror is not suitable fr cars with manual mirror, then what the ..... is it suitable for ?

This is the link to the accessory site for Greece:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gr/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-471781/2013/D2/Manual
That is the auto dim with home link! I have in my V40 just a simple frameless autodim mirror with no home link function or compass like is available in other markets. I can understand because of software issues that this mirror is probably not be compatible unless factory fitted.

But a standard auto dim only needs power, the only way this could not be a simple plug in, is if the plug is not there or has no power (which I doubt).

·
Registered
729 Posts
maybe its just me, but I> specifically asked for a normal mirror. Hate those auto-dim things..... (may be my age though, to new for me. Tbh I even specced the D4 I ordered full option, but without satnav. I just like my TomTom too much ;) )

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
maybe its just me, but I> specifically asked for a normal mirror. Hate those auto-dim things..... (may be my age though, to new for me. Tbh I even specced the D4 I ordered full option, but without satnav. I just like my TomTom too much ;) )
Each to their own. :) if you prefer the "normal" mirror then that is all that matters.

Mind you, I have found the V40 sat Nav to be far superior to my older Tomtom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I miss my TomTom so much I've draped a coily cable around the dash and stuck a suction pad right in front of my line of sight (sorry, one of my pet hates is that my car can fail an MOT because of a small chip at the edge of the windsreen but it's okay to stick an iPad smack in the middle of the screen :mad: ). Hooray for built-in SatNav :)
P.S. Don't get me started on those drivers that require SatNav between home and work every day in case someone relocates overnight.

Reactions: anixie

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't miss the cables or clutter but the TomTom's functionality eclipses the inbuilt system.

Missing...
Lane Assist
IQ routes
Touch Screen
Latt & Long input
TomTom routing is far better

I do like traffic info on V40 (although my TT has same) and I do like the fuel pop up, just a shame it doesn't update every few miles

·
Registered
729 Posts
agreed on above comments....

aesthetically, built-in is a million times better
however I happily look at snaking cables when I know the satnav will get me there on time with crystal clear instructions...

I did try the built-in system, and was not impressed...

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well guys I don't see why an auto dimming interior mirror is such a big deal. To the best of my recollection I have not needed to dim an interior mirror in the last 40+ years of driving. Maybe I have been lucky. But hey how difficult would it be to reach up and click over manually? But I too am so chuffed with my V40 CC I can't believe it!

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
That is the auto dim with home link! I have in my V40 just a simple frameless autodim mirror with no home link function or compass like is available in other markets. I can understand because of software issues that this mirror is probably not be compatible unless factory fitted.

But a standard auto dim only needs power, the only way this could not be a simple plug in, is if the plug is not there or has no power (which I doubt).
Dear Arb, I repeat, take a look at the accessories site. Statement is valid for both versions (with or without home link and compass) of the mirror. Anywa, I agree with foxtrotyankee, that an auto dimming mirror is not something to die for ! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well guys I don't see why an auto dimming interior mirror is such a big deal. To the best of my recollection I have not needed to dim an interior mirror in the last 40+ years of driving. Maybe I have been lucky. But hey how difficult would it be to reach up and click over manually? But I too am so chuffed with my V40 CC I can't believe it!
Hi there, main reason I want(ed) the auto dim is that I have fibromyalgia and my eyes are extremely sensitive to light ... my last two cars (Laguna and then Astra) have had the auto dim and it is what you get used to.

Will be contacting my dealer about this soon.

Nina

·
Registered
382 Posts
Dear Arb, I repeat, take a look at the accessories site. Statement is valid for both versions (with or without home link and compass) of the mirror. Anywa, I agree with foxtrotyankee, that an auto dimming mirror is not something to die for ! :)
Mr Ray, I do see it, and have heard it repeated many times, and as I have repeated a few times I have no idea what I am talking about, but surely for the sake of humanity and world peace this surely should be a simple plug and use option? I think I will write and indignant letter to volvo and highlight this thread to emphasis their massive oversight with this issue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.