Volvo V40 Forums banner

Recall

9K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Nick Finch 
#1 ·
A few months ago Volvo said about a recall on certain models due to ” a piece of plastic fitted to the engine can melt and cause a fire “in the most extreme cases” but I received a letter yesterday telling me to call and arrange a visit. But in the letter they stated it will get a software update to fix the issue, has anyone had this done yet? I’m a bit confused from the initial report how a software update could fix this issue, will it effect performance?

Thanks

#3 ·
I had the same letter. Sent it in for a ECU update. Then was told there was a fault code relating to inlet manifold blockage. Was told they will replace that out of good will gesture. So took it in and left it with them. After delays and finding further faults with temperature sensors, crank shaft seal which I would had to pay for with minimal labour charge as they had the car open. Then came the big one. Catalytic converter had a leak was told it will cost all in all just over £800. Told them to just get it done. Received a call yesterday informing me the car was ready to be collected. Only to leave voice message 5 mins later telling me apparently the had made a mistake and the catalytic converter price is actually double of what they had quoted me. So I was looking at a bill of over £1200. I actually almost went with it trusting them. But as I needed a ride from a colleague to collect my car so naturally explained everything and how they had my car for more than 2 weeks. He actually told me off for acting like a Mugg. And took charge and called them on my behalf. Raised a complaint to head office. And told Volvo sentinel based in North London where my car was to put everything back how it was and to return my car. To my surprise they agreed. But then I received a call today, apparently Volvo will reimburse them so I will only have to pay just over £600. I just accepted the offer as I just wanted my car back. So picked it up today. Car feels the same, so don't really know if they actually did anything or not. The didn't give me an invoice but rather told me they will email it. I must say I don't think I have ever had such a bad experience. Was without my car for more than 2 weeks. Non of these faults were picked up during anyone of my Volvo service. I don't know much about cars, I normally tend to buy a new car at the first sign of trouble. Anyways thought I would share my experience and hope it is able to help others who have a Volvo V40 d4 2015 r-design or similar.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes we had a similar letter, we booked it dropped the car off the like you had a call to say this a that was also need replacing at ex amount, my wife hit the roof, I called a told them , OK you call the car in for a recal, so why am I being asked to pay, had YOU not call me I would have continued to drive the car, now you want me to pay for something VOLVO has told you to look for, as they are aware of a possible problem, but let see if we can get the customer to cough up the cash to fix it. So my wife call Volvo gave them a very large piece of her mind, next thing another call from the garage we have checked another item an as this is faulty, and its all part of the same system Volvo will now pay for the lot!!!! it beggars belief

basically if you are called to take you car in for a Recall, every car dealer will tell you the same thing " You don,t pay for a Recall", as it to fix a manufactures problem they have noted after the car was made, and call back to fix.

then the rear door lock stopped working and Volvo only coughed up 50%, not a happy bunny
you put your trust in company and buy a car as they have a reputation for well built safe vehicles, yes so safe you can't get in never mind out, and they say it not a safety issue

#5 ·
Sorry to hear about you and your wife's experience. I think these franchise Volvo garages are taking full advantage of the recalls set by Volvo. I could be wrong but what they tend to do is maximise the re imbursement they receive from Volvo, all the while trying to maximise the payout from customers as well. Anyone who has any such experience should get in touch with Volvo customer relations and make them aware of what is going on. I genuinely believe Volvo always try to do the right thing but they need to keep a closer eye on the garages using their name, maybe have a more strict franchise policy.

#6 ·
I take it you work for Volvo, we bought the car because of the reputation for well built safe vehicles and with less then 31,000 on the clock it was a we thought a good investment, talk about a reality check, its not just our dream of a good genuine car, its Volvo reputation at risk , an I know reputation, are hard won and easily lost !!!!

#7 ·
Haha but no. I don't work for Volvo, was just sharing my experience, I actually work for a Primary School, in fact this is probably my first post on anything online. My case with Volvo is still ongoing, although I have got my car back yesterday paying just over £600 for the works done I just wanted my car back and yes I do love my car. I am still waiting on Volvo customer relations team to get back to me and also waiting on my actual invoice receipt from Volvo Sentinel based in North London. I am hoping others would come here and share their experience on this particular recall. Also I might add I have not noticed anything different driving my car yesterday evening and this morning to work. One would think with sensors, inlet manifold blockage, catalytic converter issues you would notice some difference from what I read online but then again I honestly don't know much about cars. I did contemplate whether to play along as a Volvo employee just for fun but it may have ended up with it sticking haha. "Speak the truth, and the truth shall free you".

#8 · (Edited)
Honest John has detailed info on the recall, see link, scroll to 13/07/2019, I have copied an excerpt.

"Given the current Safety Recall notification from Volvo about Inlet Manifolds melting and potentially causing engine fire. How are they getting away with not admitting the apparently unfixable fatal design flaw in the pre AdBlue D4 engine fitted to many models? The “advanced” watercooled EGR cooler with serpentine passages inside amounts to a self-destruct system for the engine. Massive numbers of posts on Volvo Forums from 2015 indicate the scale of the issue. Initially, EGR valves failed. Then, in 2016, a “permanent fix” with a new re-piped EGR cooler initially appeared to solve the problem but did not. It keeps the EGR clearer but lets it affect everything else: The black gunge is now deposited throughout the engine system and, according to a typical dealer from cases he has dealt with, causes massive problems up to and including replacement engines costing £8k.

#9 ·
Thanks Hullu, was an interesting read. It has left me wondering if I should sell my car and leave some other poor soul to deal with it. My v40 d4 2015 has done almost 80k miles. EGR was replaced by Volvo some years ago as part of a recall. However they did the ECU update as per the recall, also replaced the Inlet Manifold and valve as a good will gesture, also had the Catalytic converter replaced but I had to pay 40 percent of the cost. Temperature sensor also replaced but had to pay 100 percent of the cost. Car seems to be running fine but wondering if the Catalytic converter leak was due to the recall issue, and also wondering if the Engine will go down on me at some point. If anyone has any opinion on this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

#13 ·
Resurrecting an older thread...

I had a letter from Volvo dated 22 June 2020 informing me of the risk of fire in the engine bay caused by the plastic inlet manifold melting issue mentioned above. Took the car into Volvo Stockport yesterday and received the nice video showing my tyres were legal and that I was ok on brake discs etc.

Went in to collect the car at 4pm as no one had phoned to tell me if the car was ready or not. You know what's coming next...

Was told the EGR cooler was blocked and needed replacing. I went along with it nodding and saying ok etc. The customer service guy explained that since the hoses were being replaced under the recall and the engine would be prepared for that to happen they could do the EGR cooler for only half hour of labour cost. Total including parts is £550.

I asked him how the EGR cooler got clogged to which he didn't answer, so I proposed it was likely the hoses or some other defective part of the system. They are going back to Volvo to see if they agree with me.

Needless to say, I was up until 2am last night researching cars. I've had it with this one. Petrol next as the diesels I have had over past 7 years have been nothing but problems. Would go hybrid but priced out of that.

#14 ·
I bought my V40 2015 a week before lockdown from an independent Volvo dealer. 3 days before the 3 month warranty was up, it flashed on the dash with reduced engine performance and went into limp mode. I quickly got a mercanic friend to plug it into a code reader and it came up with 5 inlet manifold faults. The dealer couldn’t have been any better. They had to send a recovery truck. And then it went off to Volvo. It was all to do with the recall, but not sure exactly what was done as the they liaised with the garage I bought it from. I just collected it from Volvo and she’s now like new again. It’s only done 32000 miles so it can happen to anyone. My advice is get it in if you have had a recall notice.

#15 ·
Just had this recall done on my V40 D4. Drives really bad now. It’s as if they have softened the throttle response. For example when in 3rd gear full throttle around 2500-3000rpm and you lift straight of the throttle it surges forward and does not shut down straight away. It’s completely ruined the drive for me. Anyone experiencing this? It’s back at Volvo and they can’t seam to notice it.

#16 ·
Check the coolant hose when it comes out as mine has just been recalled again to put a bleed valve put in to let the air out of the coolant system. I would think that they have had a couple of heads go pop if water hasn’t been circulating properly.

#23 ·
I'll just bet Chris is loving having his mobile number posted freely on the internet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.