Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, Any advice please on the following incident that happened to me this week in my 64 plate Cross Country Lux D2 Automatic (purchased 3 weeks ago from local garage)!
Driving to work on Wednesday morning when I could smell a fuel chemical type smell from inside the car and my red brake light started to flash on and off a couple of times along the road then about 4/5 miles along the red BRAKE warning light flashed on and off a couple more times and then just a short bit along the red Brake light came on again but this time the back end of the car swerved back and fore and I struggled to control it and lost control slamming me into the central barrier of the dual carriageway the car bounced back from the barrier and I put my foot on the brake but it kept driving and shot The car back across the carriageway up the embankment and came to a halt against a fence post : the red Brake light still on and fluid along the dual carriageway where I had been and leakage straight up to my car.
My poor 3 week ownership of my dream car in shatters as it is a total right off! mileage only 29,900.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I hit spilt diesel on a wet road a few years ago. It was as if I had no brakes at all. You would smell that too
Maybe the flashing light was the traction control operating..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I hit spilt diesel on a wet road a few years ago. It was as if I had no brakes at all. You would smell that too
Maybe the flashing light was the traction control operating..
Hi thank you, road conditions dry and no it definitely was the red brake light at the top right hand corner. There was also fluid Leakage of some sort coming from my vehicle from quite a way back as Police were getting people to deal with the spill on the road and it was all the way to my car. The red brake flashed on and off a couple of times about 4-5 miles before it happened and again just minutes before the red brake light came on and my car fishtailed : it remained on then and was still on when at a stop. Also when I hit barrier and bounced back the brakes didn't work as I was pressing them and as the car is an automatic it drove me back across the carriageway and eventually stopped when I hit a fence at the top of the embankment. It was also rush hour traffic so a busy road just luckily I missed the other cars.

·
Registered
200 Posts
With front wheel drive it should have steered in the direction you pointed it. Very odd, a good look underneath should reveal what leaked and where.
A belt failing would result in loss of servo assist, if something leaked on the belt it may slip, but you wouldn't lose the rear end a result.
I think the steering is electric so that should have been ok. There are wiser souls on here who may have more idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With front wheel drive it should have steered in the direction you pointed it. Very odd, a good look underneath should reveal what leaked and where.
A belt failing would result in loss of servo assist, if something leaked on the belt it may slip, but you wouldn't lose the rear end a result.
I think the steering is electric so that should have been ok. There are wiser souls on here who may have more idea.
Thank you, whatever it was it felt like the car was possessed as I had no control (lucky for me the latter part of this nightmare was on a straight part of the dual carriageway) : hopefully the investigation requested by my insurance company who have agreed to get it checked out will find the cause.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whiplash (which is not very pleasant at all) but lucky It wasn't a lot worse. Yes all tyres were still inflated after the crash.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have had fuel lines go on a couple of my Taxis over the years, the engine keeps running ok when the return pipe goes, they can spew fuel all over the place . The good thing about diesel is it doesn't ignite like petrol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, another interesting point in this dilemma is when I went to the recovery garage that picked my car up from the dual carriageway after the crash, to collect my belongings. The items especially paperwork I had tucked down the side of front passenger seat (middle console part) was soaked in fuel and the recovery garage had to put everything into a thick plastic bag for the smell and stated it was stinking of fuel (their words)! I have relayed this additional fact to my insurers and also contacted Volvo Uk to see if they can shed some light on this as something had gone seriously wrong with the car, and in such a short space of time : and at the scene while I was in the ambulance speaking to the police I recall saying it seemed like the car was possessed as I had no control of it - very very scary!
Also just to answer Richard.hann the garage I purchased the Volvo from (very large reputable one) absolutely terrible customer support from the general manager : he doesn't want to know and stated it's not their problem! And IF a fault is found he would want it re-checked on his premises! Absolutely shocking behaviour.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sounds grim, good luck!
the end of this video shows where the fuel filter is on the D2, Fiddly job so maybe if that wasn't done properly when serviced and changed the fuel could leak from the fuel lines , the position at the back of the engine bay is about right to maybe dump fuel where you said . This could also get sucked into the heater fan and thus also into the cabin. Take the engine cover off , start the engine, you'll see if/where the fuel is leaking. If the leak is on the pressurised pump/common rail/ injector side it could be under extremely high pressure so don't lean over too close.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you hullu, just had a conversation with my insurance company and it has now been escalated to Volvo uk so the car is being investigated by them along with the insurance engineer (At Volvo) so hopefully I will find out soon what was so wrong with it.
Another nightmare is I'm in limbo until then : because the car is a write of I am not eligible for a courtesy car from my insurance and my insurance can't go any further until the investigation has been done on it : so I'm car less (not good when I live in the country and there's no public transport).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
5 weeks and at last im in personal contact with Volvo in Edinburgh, and I must say from the minute they heard of my issue with my Volvo they have been outstanding in their customer service although I didn't purchase my Volvo from them. The garage I did purchase my Volvo from, don't want to know!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts