Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have a 2014 volvo v40 1.6d r design.
Generally drives very well but for some reason when driving up hill at a decent speed (I.e in motorways) it goes into reduced performance mode. It's a bit hairy as it just gets slower and slower while everyone is doing 70 and I'm forced to pull over to a hard shoulder. I turn the engine off and restart and all is ok?
Doesn't happen all the time but last night was particularly bad, in the dark and heavy rain, limped all the way home and was even jumping (kangaroo hopping) going through town. Got in the car this morning and drove to work no problems? Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts
You need to get it read for any fault codes. That should give an indication of the problem.

Torque app or Car Scanner app for android plus a cheap ELM bluetooth OBD dongle will allow you to check for fault codes without handing over £100 or so to a dealer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Check your fluid levels, coolant and oil, it might be getting hot.
If it's the soot filter blocked you'd get the light on the dash.
It might be fuel contamination or If you were low on fuel it could be crud from the tank.
Try putting some premium fuel in, the additives with clean the system a bit.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Could be dirt (soot) in turbo or EGR. Have it checked, it can have many reasons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to get it read for any fault codes. That should give an indication of the problem.

Torque app or Car Scanner app for android plus a cheap ELM bluetooth OBD dongle will allow you to check for fault codes without handing over £100 or so to a dealer.
Hi RS, that sounds like a plan, is that something I can google easily or do you have any example links? Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, levels are fine, temperature shows as fine all the time and I use premium fuel probably every 3 or 4 fill ups, never let it get to empty so wondered if it would be a filter sensor being blocked or even a spark plug with all the jumping ect. Weird that it can be ok for a week or so then feel like its dying then ok again next day

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is a sensor on the air intake,a lot of moisture can throw that sometimes as it measures airflow by monitoring the rate a small warmed wire gets cooled. When it gets dirty or damp it can send false data to the engine management. That would probably show the orange engine light though. Did you get any lights showing?
you say it's a 1.6d so if that's a diesel it doesn't have spark plugs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello I have a 2014 petrol hade the same problem when climbing hills in a cold weather. The dealer cant find anything. After a regulal service it didn’t hapen again. I think that the sensors are good and they felt a unusual demand. Dont know why

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got mine back from the Garage yesterday, diagnostics showed no errors, had a little too much oil in the engine from last service so a little was drained. Other than that the mechanic didnt have any other ideas, strange one

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I am new to forum, but not a newby in Volvos. V40 MY2017 is a 2nd Volvo after S60 MY 2002.
Yesterday, while cruising the turtle of doom appeared on dash, but not any noticable problems to the car - acceleration was intact. After browsing this particular post, noticed that antifreeze could be a culprit, so toped it up and error message disappeared.

Noticed the message reading that turtle of doom appeared while going uphill in cold weather - had this on my S60 and it appeared to be the diesel filter. It was full of water (condensed water from tank) and pump could not get the amount of fuel it needed. Changed that and car went great after!

Edit: Once again it appeared, now when cruising in cruise control (manual transmission). Should take to the OBD test as nothing visual impaired noticed (no cracks in inlet, no diesel smell under the hood, etc.).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts