Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SE LUX NAV D2
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am getting 'Reduced Engine Performance' error on dash on my V40 D2 2013. It has happened twice this week, and it was as I was accelerating, but as soon as I stop and re-start the car it's gone.

I have checked for fault codes but not getting anything. I am only using a cheap Bluetooth OBD and not VIDA so I expected as much.
I am going to have the dealers take a look, but just wondering if anyone knows what this could be? Since the error disappears after restarting the car.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the same problem just yesterday, took it to Volvo service. They called me back with this: water in fuel tank and filter due to refuelling in a supermarket station. Anyway, take it to a proper mechanic.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It's a good thing I avoid using supermarket fuel/pumps unless i am out of options and haven't got the range left in the tank. Even that I would put maybe a couple of liters to get me to a proper fuel station

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's a good thing I avoid using supermarket fuel/pumps unless i am out of options and haven't got the range left in the tank. Even that I would put maybe a couple of liters to get me to a proper fuel station
As I came to understand that's a good strategy. I was even thinking about it in the previous few days and my father just told me that he avoids those supermarket pumps and that he fill the tank with premium fuel once or twice a year. Truth is, I will pay a lot of money for being a cheap basssstard :D

·
Registered
SE LUX NAV D2
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using a different app that had the volvo v40 D2 vehicle profile (Car Scanner OBD Elm 2), I got a low fuel pressure error code, I then remembered that my fuel filter was missed on the last service and was over due by about 5k miles. I changed the fuel filter and this fixed the issue. The limp mode has gone and the code has gone after a re-scan.

So it seems like it was likely a similar issue to @winstonsmith, since changing the fuel filter fixed it. I also added some diesel cleaner to my fuel tank after and filled up with some good quality fuel. I think I will start filling up with premium fuel every few fills from now on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yay! another fault to look forward to... good luck, keep us posted on the outcome :)
Well, problem fixed with a tank cleaning, fuel filter replacement and 400€.
I'm writing a refund letter with the receipt from fuel station and service and see if I get lucky... I don't have much hope here.
Cheers

@RichN well...I had a full tank of bad fuel and the car was still under warranty, so I had to take it to an official service and get robbed. 🤷‍♂️
I will surely put only branded fuel from now on... anyway, surfing the web I stumbled upon some compliants against premium fuel companies as well, so, even in that case it's more a matter of luck imho...

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
20 Posts
But as yet, I have seen no real tangible evidence supermarket fuel is any different to branded fuel.
Supermarkets can afford to sell it for less because it's not their only income. Petrol stations (apart from the rubbish shop), don't really have any other revenue generators.

It's well known that food manufacturers use the same factories, although some products have different recipes.

I've nearly always used supermarket fuel in my old Focus and never had a problem - had that for 10 years plus!

·
Registered
SE LUX NAV D2
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's true, my issue could have simply been caused by missing my fuel filter on last service, but I don't think the supermarket fuel helped. Doesn't premium fuel have more additives that help keep injectors clean and the engine clean? Like adding a bottle of redex to the tank.

I've also heard that premium fuel improves efficiency, which makes sense, although I doubt the savings of this would be more than the premium you pay for that fuel in the first case, so I wouldn't put it in for this reason.

I've only started putting it in once every 4 fills due to the so-called cleaning benefits that I've found online, it only cost me an extra couple of quid every 4 fills so it seems worth it if the info online about premium diesel is correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
But as yet, I have seen no real tangible evidence supermarket fuel is any different to branded fuel.
Supermarkets can afford to sell it for less because it's not their only income. Petrol stations (apart from the rubbish shop), don't really have any other revenue generators.

It's well known that food manufacturers use the same factories, although some products have different recipes.

I've nearly always used supermarket fuel in my old Focus and never had a problem - had that for 10 years plus!
It's true, my issue could have simply been caused by missing my fuel filter on last service, but I don't think the supermarket fuel helped. Doesn't premium fuel have more additives that help keep injectors clean and the engine clean? Like adding a bottle of redex to the tank.

I've also heard that premium fuel improves efficiency, which makes sense, although I doubt the savings of this would be more than the premium you pay for that fuel in the first case, so I wouldn't put it in for this reason.

I've only started putting it in once every 4 fills due to the so-called cleaning benefits that I've found online, it only cost me an extra couple of quid every 4 fills so it seems worth it if the info online about premium diesel is correct.
Well guys, I've been told that supermarket fuels are sold with no prior "decanting" so they might come with too much water. I don't know if that's true or a myth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts