Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a V40 D2 2014 cross country auto.
on 3 occasions in the past month whilst driving I’m getting a warning on screen reduced transmission performance which when it happens the car slows down and comes to a halt.
when I try to move even tho it’s in gear and running it won’t move , it will rev but the car doesn’t move.
when I switch off and back on all is fine again sometimes for weeks until the next time.
I did plug in my basic OBD scanner last time this happened before I switched it off and it came up with a transmission code P284E any ideas please ?
there is still a Volvo selekt warranty on the car but I’m just trying to get a heads up on the possible problem before they try to fob me off .
look forward to any advise.

· Registered
634 Posts
Getrag/Ford Powershift gearbox? The box has two clutches, and alternates between them as it shifts up or down between gears. The fault code means that one of the clutches was not in the expected position when a gearchange was attempted.

To determine exactly where the problem lies will require further investigation I'm afraid, but there are known issues with the gearbox in a range of vehicles. At best, it may just need a fluid and filter change, at worst it could be very expensive, although as you have a warranty and assuming that the car has been serviced to Volvo requirements, a fault may be covered, but you would need to read the T&Cs of the warranty carefully to be certain.

This link summarises a common issue with the powershift boxes:

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getrag/Ford Powershift gearbox? The box has two clutches, and alternates between them as it shifts up or down between gears. The fault code means that one of the clutches was not in the expected position when a gearchange was attempted.

To determine exactly where the problem lies will require further investigation I'm afraid, but there are known issues with the gearbox in a range of vehicles. At best, it may just need a fluid and filter change, at worst it could be very expensive, although as you have a warranty and assuming that the car has been serviced to Volvo requirements, a fault may be covered, but you would need to read the T&Cs of the warranty carefully to be certain.

This link summarises a common issue with the powershift boxes:

The transmission oil and filter were done as part of the deal buying the car 6 months ago , so as long as it was done and not just on paper that shouldn’t be the problem . It does say in the T and Cs that the warranty covers any factory fitted mechanical or electrical component from failure .
It’s going into Volvo this afternoon to get plugged in so I’ll update when I know .
Thanks

· Super Moderator
767 Posts
As it is under warranty I would take it back.
I did a quick google and one suggestion is that in cold weather the transmission oil gets thicker and causes the shift timings to go slightly out of sync. (how true this is I don't know)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As it is under warranty I would take it back.
I did a quick google and one suggestion is that in cold weather the transmission oil gets thicker and causes the shift timings to go slightly out of sync. (how true this is I don't know)
That does fit tbh because on the three occasions this has happened the outside temperature was in the minus .
update! It was ran through a diagnostic at Volvo today the receptionist said there is a fault recorded she mentioned either a selector fork in the box or a valve ? Or something hydraulic when I asked was this covered by the selekt warranty the reply was an engineer from the warranty company will need to look at the vehicle because of the potential cost involved. Sounds like a gearbox out whatever happens, let’s hope it is covered 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update !
warranty engineer looked at the car today and authorised a warranty claim for a brand new gearbox, I was trying to see the total on the bottom and I’m almost certain it said £8100 I thought wow.
anyway another question as I don’t really know how auto boxes work.
Are the clutches built into the gearbox , reason I’m asking is I thought about getting a clutch put in while the gearbox is out like you would with a manual but they probably work in a different way ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts