Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else had problems refuelling with the capless filling system?
I have tried, without success, to fill my car with diesel at an Asda filling station without any fuel going into the tank. I have been to an independent garage and also Tescos and had no trouble filling at all. Has anybody else experienced this problem with Asda pumps?

·
Registered
718 Posts
lederhosen said:
Has anybody else had problems refuelling with the capless filling system?
I have tried, without success, to fill my car with diesel at an Asda filling station without any fuel going into the tank. I have been to an independent garage and also Tescos and had no trouble filling at all. Has anybody else experienced this problem with Asda pumps?
Simple answer is no. I haven't had a problem anywhere. I presume the nozzle fitted OK.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cannot say I have neither. I can only suggest that it is the angle the nozzle is trying to enter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ordered: V40 D3 R-Design Lux. Rebel Blue, Auto Dim Mirror, Memory seats/mirrors, Lux winter pack, DAB radio, Rear Camera, Privacy Glass, Floor divider.

Reactions: Yellowbelly

·
Registered
50 Posts
On my first fill up at a Tesco station I had the same trouble, kept clicking off. When I looked at the flow rate of the pump it was kicking out fuel at one heck of a rate. I lessened the flow and all was good. The exact same pump a week later and the flow rate was normal. Not sure what causes the fluctuation but try easing off on the pump trigger :) No problems since if the flow rate is average.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, I've had the exact same problem at an Asda filling station, it's only happened once though. Usual story of long queue of cars waiting for drivers side pumps no cars on the other side, I was in a hurry so I pulled up close to the pump and stretched the hose over the car. It only just reached, inserted the nozzle, when I pulled the trigger I think most of the fuel came back out of the breather hole just under the cap and spilt down the side of the car, no amount of soft squeeze seemed to make a difference. I thought it was something to do with the angle of the hose or the nozzle in the cap, even easing the nozzle out of the cap a centimetre or two didn't work, makes me think it could be just the pressure of their pumps at certain times.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The Owners Manual points out that there are two opening covers in the filler neck, and that the pump nozzle must be inserted far enough to open both covers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have had exactly the same issue here with Asda Filling stations - everywhere else has been ok.

I imagine the flowrate to be slightly higher on their pumps for some reason. Sliding the nozzle back about an inch did the trick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had exactly this problem at a Sainsburys petrol station. The dealer I bought the car from said she had had that problem on two of her recent cars. She recommended inserting the nozzle as far as possible and then pushing down on the handle so that the nozzle angles up inside the tank. So far, I've only tried to fill up once but will see if this method works any better on future occasions

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have had exactly the same issue here with Asda Filling stations - everywhere else has been ok.

I imagine the flowrate to be slightly higher on their pumps for some reason. Sliding the nozzle back about an inch did the trick.
Same on my wife's Mini Cooper D. Pulling out slightly works on hers too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also had the problem at Asda. I had to keep pressing the button but it kept clicking off. I'm pretty sure I had to alter the angle to get the nozzle in a bit further. I assumed it was my fault but after reading this, it must be an Asda thing. Funnily enough I have only used supermarket pumps a few times.

On another (non car) forum I use, one of the members has a senior job at Shell. She said that all fuel is fine but she said Shell is tested to make an engine last for 100k miles. She said the same is true of other big brands. She said she admits she is happy to use Esso, Texaco etc. but avoids supermarket fuel - she says it won't do any harm though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just filled my second tank as ASDA. The pipe was a struggle to fit in. My first tank was at Shell, it went in smoothly. Seems the ASDA pipes are ever-so-slightly fatter than the rest.

On the plus side, you are never getting that diesel pipe into an unleaded hole.:thumbup:

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have only had this issue wih one perticular pumps as a shell station (I only ever use Vpower)It did work a little better if I held it just right (straight in and holding the weight of the pump)

The worse issue is that you have to have it pointing down to the filler before it goes in and so if there is some fuel left in the neck (as the previous twonk hasn't shook it and wiped it down after withdrawing, no pun intended) it runs out hits the closed flap and runs down the side of my car, I do not see the need for this stupid bit for ford tech, give me a filler cap any day of the week

·
Registered
1 Posts
Filling issues at BP

I am glad to read that other V40 drivers have experienced this issue. I have had diesel thrown back but luckily I did not get covered. I have had the auto lock off happen in 2 other BP garages (I collect nectar points!) too. BP are my most convenient garages. I have tried with different angles, flow rates and ensured the nozzle is fully inserted. Not impressed.
Keys fell out the dash on Friday whilst driving. I found them under my feet at 70 mph and put them back in!
Not sure if I will keep this company car.......a pity as its a lovely drive but just a bit too small for my needs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When the car is running the 'Key' can be removed from the dash. I do this all the time and it causes no issues. As yours fell-out I suspect that, like most, you have loads of keys and bits attached to the key ring and the weight caused the extraction. I also have work keys and house keys attached but years ago I bought two little clips, similar to the ones on dog leads making them easy to detach as I didn't really want to walk with a limp when just out on the town (for example)!

If you do drive with the fob out and open the door there will be a warning but the cancel button soon removes it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I too drive with the key out, and then the start/stop is annoying, drive up to the garage-select neutral -engine stops- get out open garage door and get back in and car won't start as key isn't in slot. ok insert key car starts -remove key.
Drive in garage, select neutral engine stops- in cold weather I'm just about to get out- opening door and car starts again! :dodgy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re-fuelling

I had this problem last night. Pulled into the garage, put the diesel nozzle in and it kept cutting out. However gentle I was or whatever angle I put the nozzle in, fuel flew back out of the tank over me and the car. I eventually got about a fiver's worth in before giving up. I moved on to another garage - same problem. This time I put the nozzle in a bit further - this solved the cut-out problem. But I couldn't get the nozzle out when I finished!! Eventually the cover / valve top broke .:frown2:

·
Registered
99 Posts
This has just this second happened to me, went to Tesco to fill up as I had 8p off a litre to use and it kept cutting out. I have put fuel in at the shell before no problems, but this is the first time I attempted to tank it. Being that it was a new car l wasn't too sure how much would fill it, as it kept cutting off also. So I put 50 litres in to be on the safe side.
I think il stick to the shell from now on next time I wanna fill it.
On the plus side it says I got 610 miles range and 8 bars of fuel.

·
Registered
771 Posts
This has just this second happened to me, went to Tesco to fill up as I had 8p off a litre to use and it kept cutting out. I have put fuel in at the shell before no problems, but this is the first time I attempted to tank it. Being that it was a new car l wasn't too sure how much would fill it, as it kept cutting off also. So I put 50 litres in to be on the safe side.
I think il stick to the shell from now on next time I wanna fill it.
On the plus side it says I got 610 miles range and 8 bars of fuel.
I wonder if this is a new problem rearing its head on the new models and have Volvo changed the filler system as ive never had this on either of our v40 my14 and my15 cars. I know you have to make sure the filler is right in past 2 flaps and locked down in the recess at the bottom, which can only be done by keeping the
filler upright as you feed it in, Oh for just an ordinary inlet,:frown2: I would not take to much notice of the 610 range, tomorrow it will be down to 460 or the like then on a drive it will start building back up, if its any thing like ours, never used Tesco as I only once tried asda derv on our first v40 d2 which caused a really lumpy feeling engine, so have just stuck to shell. :blush:

·
Registered
314 Posts
No problems with our MY16 V40 CC filled it up quite a few times now as well,normally tesco diesel once with bp quite often filled from two bars on the gauge twice with the fuel light on and filled fine, most we have put in was 56 litres (new 62 litre tank size).
It's now done 7k miles in three months.

Also agree that a normal cap would be better but at least our outer fuel cap/flap locks with the central locking unlike fords that are unlocked all the time ( always worried that something could be poured into the tank when we had the ford)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts