Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum.

I bought my V40 D3 as an ex-Volvo car and I did ask the $tealer to check the wiper blades specifically, as on the day of the test drive, the car was a bit dirty and the blades took a few attempts to get the windscreens clean, especially the rear one. Sadly, he didn't bother :dodgy:

Anyway, after doing a bit of research, I decided to go for Bosch ones as they came out half the price (from Eurocarparts, they have a sale of some sort going on) of the genuine Volvo ones , and also I remember reading about at least one owner not being impressed by 2/3 wiper blades he had replaced.

Managed to get the Bosch catalog as a PDF file from the website, and searched in there and eventually narrowed down the specific blades for the V40 2013 onwards model.

The driver side is 26", the passenger side is 19" and the rear windscreen one is 11" (all are based on a UK spec RHD vehicle, but I'm sure they would be the same on LHD, just the other way around for front wipers)

The Bosch part numbers are :

AM26U - Bosch Aerotwin Multi clip - Driver's side
AM19U - " " " " - Passenger's side
A281H - Bosch wiper blade - Rear

The rear one was the hardest to match, but I got it in the end.

All 3 wipers have a sort of clip-on/off cap where the clips attach to the wiper arm - the cap will pop off and then you can easily attach to the wiper arm.

Took me about 3 minutes to swap them over, and I must say, the difference is huge on the rear, and fairly noticeable for the fronts as well.

Hope this info will be useful to fellow V40 owners who might want to save a little money and use it elsewhere :thumbup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks, am planning to replace mine shortly, so will give these a try.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am the guy who went through loads, the Bosch ones have been the best but there again the arm was changed half way through the expected 3month life of the blades so that may have something to do with it.

Because I think so much of the v40 collective, I will buy some more genuine wipers and retest them to see if the new wiper arm is the cure to the smeary screen

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just last week bought the Bosch blades for windscreen. Looks pretty much the same as the originals, just doesn't have Volvo stamp on them. For half the price.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The Bosch ones I have are nothing like the oe ones (well they are both aero style but that is a close as it gets)

The Volvo ones are shaped so as to create a spoiler with the highest point towards the back of the wiper so have different ones for LHD & RHD, the bosh ones have the point in the middle.

The Bosch ones have a bit in the middle below where it fits to the wiper arm that says hooch on them

They do not look as nice as the oe ones (but at least they work)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Still on the first set of Volvo wipers after 1.75 years and 34,000 miles. Still in great condition.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We still have ongoing issues with the wipers on our V40 - the dealer supplied some Bosch ones recently but they're no better, perhaps worse than the previous Volvo branded ones.

I feel the issue is that the wiper arm spring is too strong - it pulls the centre of the blade too hard onto the screen - my evidence for this is down to our use of rain repellent - it wears off very quickly just along the centre of the blade contact point on the screen in the full arc, whereas the rest of the windscreen retains the coating for much longer.

I use GTechniq C5 on my own car and the V40 and it normally last 3-6 months between coats, on the V40 you're lucky to get 4 weeks on the centre of the drivers blade, whereas the passenger side is fine.

It really is downright dangerous but I'm stuck as to where to go next to try and get it fixed!?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yes mine was changed, the dealer told me Volvo are aware but will do nothing about it.

I am not sure what the issue is, I also use gtechnic on my screen and when I swap to new wipers the problem is solved mediately no need to re-apply the gtechnic .

Also my g technic has lasted much better but I use g1 after a clean with g4

C5 is for sealing wheels

·
Registered
273 Posts
@OldCroc...had the same issue 6 months into the car and was disgruntled with the "thump" the blade made on every sweep...I got the usual "vinegar" lecture from the dealer, but as I've never done that, they agreed with me that the original blades were faulty...they should be "silent". Anyway, the current blades have just been changed after circa 14 months a the "thump" was returning and that to me is the trigger to replace the blades, they being Volvo ones.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am seriously considering a new screen, after 5 set of wipers at £35 a set I have nearly paid for one already....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry, it is the G5 on the screen...

I put a Halfords blade on a fortnight ago and so far things are much improved - they don't list one to fit the V40 however the S60 has the same fitting on a Bosch blade so I did some detective work and the FW15 blade fits the V40 fine.

Looking at the two side by side, the Bosch blade has a 2" wide section where the centre of the blade mounts to the arm - the rubber cannot bend in this section, whereas the Halfords blade has ~1/2" wide section. Maybe the Halfords blade can conform to the screen better, I don't know, however it works and for now that is going to be good enough!

Major shame this has not been addressed by Volvo, it is downright dangerous, I struggled to drive a 35 mile journey with the Bosch blade fitted in heavy rain at night, visibility was horrendous!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Major shame this has not been addressed by Volvo, it is downright dangerous, I struggled to drive a 35 mile journey with the Bosch blade fitted in heavy rain at night, visibility was horrendous!
That is a generalisation. My V40 is now two years old. I haven't had to change the blades. I had a run up the A34 on Saturday in rain and spray. At no time did I have any smearing, or any other problems with the wipers not clearing the screen properly. I don't use anything on the screen other than ensuring it is cleaned properly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It is a generalisation backed up by many on here making similar comments and the fact the Volvo admitted knowing about the issue to me directly over the phone.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I must admit the volvo wipers are shocking. On my second set in six months. Both sets never clear the screen quite right. And after a couple of months use there are lines that are left by both front wipers right in the line of sight. Very annoying. The first set were really lough as already stated on here. Second set are slightly better but no whee near as good as i expected them to be.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It is a generalisation backed up by many on here making similar comments and the fact the Volvo admitted knowing about the issue to me directly over the phone.
I think wizzy is just saying it does not affect every car. So to that extent it is a generalisation? :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think wizzy is just saying it does not affect every car. So to that extent it is a generalisation? :)
Absolutely, there are only a few having problems with their wiper blades, out of the many on this forum.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sorry, it is the G5 on the screen...

I put a Halfords blade on a fortnight ago and so far things are much improved - they don't list one to fit the V40 however the S60 has the same fitting on a Bosch blade so I did some detective work and the FW15 blade fits the V40 fine.

Looking at the two side by side, the Bosch blade has a 2" wide section where the centre of the blade mounts to the arm - the rubber cannot bend in this section, whereas the Halfords blade has ~1/2" wide section. Maybe the Halfords blade can conform to the screen better, I don't know, however it works and for now that is going to be good enough!

Try G1 it is designed more for a clear wipe than as rain repellant, it is really good (on the ST ;0))

·
Registered
229 Posts
I suspect that as many of us have heated front screens and use it to remove ice in winter this can have an impact. The edges of the screen are not heated so 2 strips of spice remain and if you wipe the screen with the wipers they will scrape the ice and make indents in the soft rubber blade. I found this with my ford and always scrape the edges first whilst the bulk of the screen is melting to avoid ruining blades. I would churn through blades until I realised the damage I was doing scraping ice with them.

I maybe wrong but I certainly stretched the life out of blades once I realised!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Never had an issue with the ST, but neither car freeze up much as both live down the drive so reasonably protected from frost

Despite this, I have gone through 5 sets in the Volvo and only done 2 sets (and they were only changed due to age and me being fussy, I change wipers every 3 years regardless as the rubber dries up) on the focus that has done more miles

1 - 20 of 27 Posts