Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I have an early 2014 D2 cross country automatic. It keeps complaining about battery level, even after our (rare but very long drives). So I think the battery is shot.

Funnily, when I put my numberplate in a bunch of websites, they recommend a smaller, lower-capacity battery (760) than what the user guide indicates (800).

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Pattern

Searching manually, I've stumbled across this one:
F21 VARTA START-STOP PLUS AGM CAR BATTERY 12V 80AH (580901080) (110 AGM)

It looks like it respects all the numbers.

Is that right or am I missing something?

Thank you
Yannick

· Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
257 Posts
If you're getting a low battery warning it will be the main battery not the smaller support battery. If you're unsure of the spec of your chosen battery ask Volvo for the correct specification then I believe the battery has to be sync with the car.

· Registered
634 Posts
Thanks - I guess it means they're only connected to half the database... its weird but I guess must be the case!!
These commercial look-up tools all run off data supplied by a limited number of commercial data suppliers. They all buy data from DVLA, and at least one of them mixes that with data obtained from the SMMT, who themselves obtain it from dealers sales data, amongst other sources. They then use the result to try and identify your car, and match it to their parts databases.

I usually take them with a pinch of salt, and prefer to look up information on the part or supplies I need either from the vehicle manufacturer, or in the case of a battery, from the information on the existing battery directly.

The company I buy my oil from always want to sell me 5W30 oil for my V40 is I use their lookup tool. I can't see their correct spec oil for my car unless I go in via the oil by vehicle manufacturer menu: Car/Volvo/Engine Oil/RBS0-2AE.

When I bought my car, a Momentum version, it came up on most of the look-up tools as an Inscription. I found that I kept having the problem when searching for insurance quotes, although a few sites had the correct trim against by registration. I was hitting my head against a brick wall for a couple of years, but then I insured with Saga, and to their credit they went to a lot of effort to investigate, which resulted in my receiving a phone call from someone at one of the data providers. He told me at the time, about 3 years ago now, that there were only three commercial suppliers of the information used by all car look-up tools in the UK, and that he had found that my problem stemmed from the SMMT data used by his company and one other. The third didn't purchase and mix in the SMMT data so was unaffected. In my case, either the SMMT or the dealer that I bought my car from, had ticked a wrong box on the form that they send to SMMT to register the data, resulting in the car being recorded as an Inscription model.

As I had been involved with both DVLA and SMMT in my job, we had quite an interesting chat, and he managed to put everything right. But that is how I came to discover how these things actually work, and why I am generally suspicious of them when it comes to part matching.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I know we're digressing rather from the original question, but I had similar issues insuring my T5 V40. When getting quotes several insurers were insisting it was a diesel model! Actually came out slightly cheaper that way, but I know how insurers will find any excuse to wriggle out of a claim so made sure it was recorded correctly at the one I went with. (They also didn't want much more for the Polestar optimisation when I had that done)

· Registered
634 Posts
I know we're digressing rather from the original question, but I had similar issues insuring my T5 V40. When getting quotes several insurers were insisting it was a diesel model! Actually came out slightly cheaper that way, but I know how insurers will find any excuse to wriggle out of a claim so made sure it was recorded correctly at the one I went with. (They also didn't want much more for the Polestar optimisation when I had that done)
Yes, that was my only concern it getting it corrected. It was such a pain the first two renewals trying to convince the insurer that what they had in front of them was wrong, plus getting online quotes but having to confirm them by phone in case the premium was affected when the trim level was changed :(

· Registered
4 Posts
Hiya,

I have an early 2014 D2 cross country automatic. It keeps complaining about battery level, even after our (rare but very long drives). So I think the battery is shot.

Funnily, when I put my numberplate in a bunch of websites, they recommend a smaller, lower-capacity battery (760) than what the user guide indicates (800).

View attachment 18470

Searching manually, I've stumbled across this one:
F21 VARTA START-STOP PLUS AGM CAR BATTERY 12V 80AH (580901080) (110 AGM)

It looks like it respects all the numbers.

Is that right or am I missing something?

Thank you
Yannick
I can't say anything about this specific brand since I'm from another continent, but specs-wise the battery you linked is the correct one for your vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts