Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I am a recent member of the forum but already 4 years owner of a T4 polestar v40 with all the safety goodies (DSP)

Just recently due to an unlucky incident i damaged my 7" screen that needs now to be replaced. All functions of the infotainment system are working fine but the display :(

Going to a brand new screen would cost approx. 1300eur something that i would like to avoid, so i am looking the option of buying a used one over the internet.

My worry on this is mainly on the compatibility / software update , because i read in another thread that the monitors are locked to the vin number and cannot be unlocked to be used in a different car. Is this correct?

I understand that a connection for the software update through VIDA with Volvo needs to happen in order to get the new details for my VIN number but having it lock would block this way.

Has anyone experience in such replacement?

Moreover could you suggest any websites apart from ebay that i could ask for such used spare parts for EU spec cars?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-N910C μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I very much doubt you will be able to use a used part as a replacement I'm afraid. The ICM (Infotainment Control Module - the LCD screen) is connected to both the MOST optical fibre bus used to communicate with the other modules of the media system (IAM, PHM, AUD, DABM) and the CANbus and LINbus used to communicate with the CEM (Central Electronic Module, the main electrical system controller), CCM (Climate Control Module) SWM (Steering Wheel Module) and so on.

When modules are delivered to the factory or to a dealer as a replacement part they are in a 'virgin state with no configuration data in them. The factory software configuration process writes the data into them and a copy is stored on Volvo's vehicle configuration server (called PIE). If a dealer needs to replace a module, they order a 'virgin' part and then use VIDA to download a copy of the data from the PIE into the module when it is fitted into the car. VIDA checks the state of the module before starting the download and will not download to a module that is already configured. There is no official way to return a module to the 'virgin' state other than when it is returned to the factory for repair./remanufacturing.

There are 2 security systems in place. When the car is built in the factory, part of the software configuration process involves copying the serial numbers/IDs of the modules on the CAN and LIN buses into the software configuration of the CEM. When the car is started, the CEM interrogates each of the modules as part of it's self-test process. If it detects a Module ID it doesn't know, it will display an error condition (best case) or prevent that car from starting (worst case).

The other security system is on the MOST bus between the media modules and is called MOST Lock. In this instance, the ICM is the controller of the MOST network, so when it is installed in the factory the IDs of the modules on the MOST network are written into it and it periodically interrogates all the modules. If it gets a Module ID it doesn't know it will shut down the MOST network completely. There is a 'MOST Lock disable' software patch that dealers can download when diagnosing faults in the media system, but they are not allowed to let cars leave the workshop with it loaded, and it wouldn't help regarding the CAN and LIN bus security anyway. Unfortunately the ICM is probably the worst case as it's covered by the security systems on all the data networks.

The idea behind these security systems is to prevent cars being stolen for parts to be used to repair other cars. It also conveniently means you have no option but to go to Volvo for replacement parts as used parts are effectively useless. There are third-party companies like Xemodex, BBA Reman and Volvo Diagnostic that can reprogram some types of modules by cloning the data from the flash chip of your damaged module (or swapping the flash chips over), and in some cases can return modules to the 'virgin' state, but these is mostly for older models - pre-2011 cars before the new S60 introduced the new electrical system and Sensus infotainment system that went on to be used on the V40.

If you are looking for used parts, look at the site Bildelsbasen ( https://www.bildelsbasen.se/ ). it's effectively a network of Scandinavian car breakers, so they have a lot of late-model Volvos. Unfortunately for the ICM you will probably have to go to your dealer I'm afraid

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I very much doubt you will be able to use a used part as a replacement I'm afraid.............................................................Unfortunately for the ICM you will probably have to go to your dealer I'm afraid
Thank you for all the details above.
Both issue and risks of using a used unit are clear now.

Any recommendation of websites located in EU (i would avoid customs) that i could find such parts new in a better price?

Στάλθηκε από το SM-N910C μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
942 Posts
A warm welcome to the forum stepan83 & congrats on V40 ownership!! I hope you are able to find a not too expensive solution for your damaged screen!
That's a real shame... Good Luck!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Depending on how it is damaged, you could just get another unit from a scrapped car and replace the front LCD screen, just as you would replace an iphone screen. It will be connected via a surface mount ribbon to the circuit board of the ICM unit I guess.
It is the circuitry that is uniquely identified, but the raw LCD will be fine to replace from another unit I would guess.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I found this, maybe of interest.... Not exactly the same car but...

http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=31944&hl=icm

OK for anyone who may be interested... I took a gamble and went against the advice of Volvo to replace the ICM - rather than spend £750 to but a new ICM, I went to a volvo breaker and bought it off a scrapped V50. I gave him the VCC Part Number which can be found on a white label on the underside of the ICM unit when it has been removed from the centre console. I plugged in the unit I received and all is working fine - in fact the screen I have now is in better condition than the original, cosmetically.

This saved me £650. I spoke to many Volvo dealers including Volvo UK who all told me categorically that I could not replace this part with a second hand unit - every single person had a different reason (ranging from "the AC and radio wont work" to "the unit needs to be reprogrammed, and you can't re-program a second hand unit". All complete and utter nonsense. The unit, when replaced, did not make any adjustments whatsoever to any of my car settings, radio station memory or AC settings and simply carried on where the old one left off.

Reactions: NightWolf

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That was for the old P2-platform (pre-Sensus) ICM. The security was a lot more lax on those cars - some didn't even have the MOST Lock feature activated from the factory, so if you could get a module with the same part number and from around the same production run there was a chance a used part would still work.

This thread covers a 2011 S60 that has the same Sensus system and 7" screen as the V40
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?221719-Volvo-7-quot-display-replacement
The screen going black shortly after being turned on is the MOST Lock activating. You can demonstrate this yourself by unplugging the MOST fibre connector from the back of the AUD module under the seat (if you have High Performance or Premium Audio) - the ICM detects a missing node on the ring and goes into MOST lock. In that case the Climate/heated seats part of display will still work I think though, as the ICM is still recognised by the CAN security in the CEM. With a 'foreign' ICM the CAN security would probably result in it going totally blank.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I belive it can be done but you probably have to split the lcd panel from the rest and just replace it. its not going to be easy but my friend says its do able the workshop where he works have done similar jobs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
to replace only the lcd panel on ICM 7'' is very simple process. You don't have to unscrew anything.
  • Just gently split the unit in two (front & back side).
  • unplug the 2 ribbon cables.
  • install the new LCD panel.
  • push back gently the front to back side.

the new LCD panel cost me 40 euros (shipping included) from China (2 months delivery time)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts