Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woohoo, got news today from my dealership that my D3 has arrived, and I got the finance papers (figures on my trade in etc), not to happy with the deposit I am getting out of the deal, but still, I am getting a awesome spec car for cheap cheap. So looking at the situation, I think it is not a bad deal. Paying just a little bit more than what I am currently paying.

Will pop into to dealership to sign the papers and have a look at my new baby, should have it by middle March, as we need to transfer all the mods from the T3, and having tinting done, AGAIN, and some other stuff, but will post that when I have the car.:blush:

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only the CC comes in D4 here, the normal V40 we only get D2 & D3, but going to Polestar later, will first just enjoy the D3 as is.

The T3 manual gearbox is very noisy and terrible in traffic, also fuel consumption is horrible in town.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Only the CC comes in D4 here, the normal V40 we only get D2 & D3, but going to Polestar later, will first just enjoy the D3 as is.

The T3 manual gearbox is very noisy and terrible in traffic, also fuel consumption is horrible in town.
VoodooBOB, what do you mean with "noisy and terrible in traffic"? Also, what is the consumption you get in town traffic? I am waiting for a T4 (with the Polestar tune) and I have to say, your post got me extremely worried!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@UNHACKABLE Everytime you switch gears at slow speeds and low revs, you hear this klonk coming from the engine bay, not just mine doing it, had a T4 manual also for 3 days while they looked at my car, same thing.

Currently getting 11.1 l/100km is what my trip statistics screen is showing me, my Mazda 2.0l naturally aspirated motor also made 110kw, and at worst it gave me 10.4 l/100km in town.

When there is no traffic, and you can take the car up to 4000+ revs every time, then there is nothing wrong with it, even on the highway, very nice to drive, but the driving experience in a geartronic Volvo is just way different, light day and night to me.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Hmm....I've owned a manual T3 for 8 months now and find the gearbox slick and quiet:exclamation:

As for town MPG, its of course down to the way the car is driven but I've got no complaints!

·
Registered
46 Posts

Hmm....I've owned a manual T3 for 8 months now and find the gearbox slick and quiet:exclamation:

As for town MPG, its of course down to the way the car is driven but I've got no complaints!
Jetstar what is your consumption in town?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm averaging around 40MPG (that's a 50/50 mix of motorway driving at decent speeds and town driving)
Oh ok, this is the figure I am expecting to see while driving as economically as I can. This is very good considering the power of the engine and (especially) the weight of the car. If I also put in the picture, the fact that I can’t drop the consumption of the 1.3 Suzuki Swift (92hp) I am currently driving, below 8.1 lt/100km, I will be a very happy man!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm sure you'll be pleased with your car. The T3/T4 engine is of course basically the Ford Ecoboost with a few Volvo tweaks and is capable of good MPG figures combined with excellent refinement and power. Considering the relatively low mileage I do, it was a no-brainer to get the T3.

I'll hopefully go for the T3->T4 Polestar later in the year!:p

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a few other board members who have also brought up the klonking noises from the manual gearbox.

The T3/T4 accelerates very nicely, much quicker than the D3, even on paper it is like 1 or 2 seconds faster, but the torque is just so much nicer to have, plus the smooth gearbox. If I knew this, I would have made some budget cuts and taken a T5 or D3 from the beginning.

But then again, personal choice, I have driven manual cars, and that is why i again went for manual in the Volvo, but only discovered after having the T3, that for me the gearbox isn't as good as VW or BMW, as those are the only other 2 manufacturers we have had in our family. Ok, had 1 Mazda, also wasn't bad.

I am not saying the 1.6l manual is bad, it is just not what I expected. Some other people might be more than 100% happy with it. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
VoodooBOB I do recall your posts about your gearbox "clonking" before I took delivery of my T3. I made 100% sure that the garage tested the car for this issue before I accepted it and needless to say I would take the car straight back at any time I notice anything like this.

Since then, I've not seen any mention of this issue anywhere (including the many owners reviews on the reevoo pages linked to the Volvo UK website:

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/all-cars/volvo-v40/pages/reevoo.aspx

·
Registered
945 Posts
Could the clunk be the noise form the driveshaft same as what effected the 2.5-T5 (we have that on our lasses ST, fords fix is to thread lock the driveshafts to the hub which is not much good if you ever need to swap/remove drifeshafts)?

Another fix could be an upgraded bottom/rear engine mount if the noise is caused by engine movement.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have added new picture in the garage section, but here it is.

I still wanted to paint the rims matt black, and window tinting, but will do that later on my own time.

I must say the car is very nice, still all black inside like my old T3, has sat nav, keyless entry, only 10500km on the clock, the T3 had 9600km, so not to much difference. Had a look at the engine, very nice, and all the bushes, arms etc holding the motor, much better setup than with the 1.6l engine.

Also, the car is much much more quiter than the T3, on the way to work this morning, some areas on the road where I always here noises on the T3's suspension, was dead quiet on the D3. So I am happy so far.

http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/members/5695-voodoobob-albums-vin-diesel-picture273-volvo-d3.jpg

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
VoodooBOB...It really sounds like your T3 was a lemon!:exclamation:
I am telling you, that car drove more like a 3rd hand car, rather than brand new. I always said something was wrong, but no one believed me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.