Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the hunt to try and retrofit as much as I can. So far I have gathered information on retrofitting BLIS and the Park assist Pilot. I'm trying to find out more information on retrofitting the ACC. To my understanding the LIDAR senor in the grille is required and then the different key pad on the steering wheel. Also don't forget about the software. Does anyone have more information on this and if it is possible?

EDIT: I forgot to mention I did find instructions on VIDA thats matched to my VIN number for the Park Assist Pilot. I'm assuming my car should have a pre prep then? I also have the ability to adjust my steering wheel force in the sensus connect.

·
Registered
2016 T2 Ice White R-Design Nav
12 Posts
Hi,

I am also interested in retrofitting BLIS and ACC, the biggest problems are finding the wiring looms. Software can be loaded for far cheaper than the dealer will do if you use VDASH, as the V40 is a P3 Car. (I have posted about using VDASH to upgrade to a nav on my V40 if you want to see the full details of how it works) In vDash you can change any configuration and choose BLIS and ACC and anything else that the car could possibly have come out of the factory with, so I wouldn't worry if you're having software issues!

As for retrofitting BLIS, I know as much as you'll need new door wiring looms, a new rear quarter panel loom and potentially to install new fuses to complete the circuits once it's all fitted. It should work pretty well, but only if you can give the car everything it would have from the factory. Personally, I abandoned my plans for this as it would be too costly, and I couldn't even find the wiring needed for the front LIDAR without buying a whole new bumper at £600.

So basically, it's doable, but it'll be costly af.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I am also interested in retrofitting BLIS and ACC, the biggest problems are finding the wiring looms. Software can be loaded for far cheaper than the dealer will do if you use VDASH, as the V40 is a P3 Car. (I have posted about using VDASH to upgrade to a nav on my V40 if you want to see the full details of how it works) In vDash you can change any configuration and choose BLIS and ACC and anything else that the car could possibly have come out of the factory with, so I wouldn't worry if you're having software issues!

As for retrofitting BLIS, I know as much as you'll need new door wiring looms, a new rear quarter panel loom and potentially to install new fuses to complete the circuits once it's all fitted. It should work pretty well, but only if you can give the car everything it would have from the factory. Personally, I abandoned my plans for this as it would be too costly, and I couldn't even find the wiring needed for the front LIDAR without buying a whole new bumper at £600.

So basically, it's doable, but it'll be costly af.
After months of researching I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth it. You will need both the camera and the radar in the grille. The following parts are required:
  1. Windscreen Camera
  2. New Windscreen to support the camera.
  3. Front Lidar sensor in the grille.
  4. New grille with the radar cover
  5. New brake Vacuum booster with 2 sensors.
  6. The Collison Warning HUD (Optional) (You need to cut a hole in your dash for this but it's not required)
  7. Steering wheel keypad.
The problem with the parts is the following:
  1. You need second hand. Both sensors need to match more or less your Year and they definitely need to match your engine or else it will not be compatible with your ECU. vDash cannot flash it.
  2. The parts required for my 2014 D3 Excel are impossible to find second hand. I've not been able to find one that comes from my sort of car.
  3. They are expensive brand new. They will cost you a arm and a leg. Not to mention they come from the dealership without any firmware. Thats why you need to get them second hand and volvo refuses to flash them.
Wiring:
It's not as simple as just getting a wiring loom. You need to make your own based on the wiring diagram. Some cars have existing looms and wiring with the plugs just hanging but this was not the case for me. Cars knows with existing looms are the XC60s and so on. You need to wire the camera and front radar directly to each other and to the CEM. You will also need to wire the new vacuum booster directly to the BCM. The problem with wiring is that most of the interior needs to be removed.

Conclusion: It's not worth it. This is really difficult to do and you need a good understanding of how Volvo's wiring works. Not to mention the cost.

Is there any upside to actually do this?
Well if you go through with this then you have a bunch of features than just the adaptive cruise. You'll have more or less the following:
  • Adaptive Cruise Gen3 (Stop and follow without you touching the pedals)
  • Lane assist.
  • Collision Warning.
  • Active High Beam Assist. (Depending on your lights they will move out the way or they will turn on and off automatically)
  • Sign recognition.
Still want to try and do it?
You can find a lot more information from the following: Retrofit Adaptive Cruise (Use chrome or the new Microsoft Edge to have page translations)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi!

just to update you and maybe anyone else who is following this thread- I am going ahead with the retrofit of the intellisafe pack (all apart from BLIS!)

I sourced parts and everything else that I can find, the only thing I’m concerned about is the power brake servo sensors - and how you say there needs to be two! I can find the parts, do you know what that second sensor does? As it appears they wire in to exactly the same pins on the same connector!

Cheers,

alex

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi!

just to update you and maybe anyone else who is following this thread- I am going ahead with the retrofit of the intellisafe pack (all apart from BLIS!)

I sourced parts and everything else that I can find, the only thing I’m concerned about is the power brake servo sensors - and how you say there needs to be two! I can find the parts, do you know what that second sensor does? As it appears they wire in to exactly the same pins on the same connector!

Cheers,

alex
They seem to have different plugs. It needs to be wired directly into the BCM.

I'm curious about the parts because that's the only thing stopping me from doing so. I was warned that I needed the FSM matching the engine so that it is compatible with the ecu. What FSM are you using?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that the sensor has exactly the same wiring for variants without ACC (labelled N_ACC and those with labelled ACC_X) so I might give it a try without changing the servo, but also be prepared to do so if it throws up a BCM failure.

as for the FSM matching the car, I’m not sure what you mean? Do you mean the FLR in the grill matching the engine? Or the FSM in the windscreen. I haven’t read much on either of these needing to match anything other than model year - and they will only throw up an error if the car already has one fitted and you swap it out with another. As we’re approaching this without existing hardware, it should be okay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 17591 Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that the sensor has exactly the same wiring for variants without ACC (labelled N_ACC and those with labelled ACC_X) so I might give it a try without changing the servo, but also be prepared to do so if it throws up a BCM failure.

as for the FSM matching the car, I’m not sure what you mean? Do you mean the FLR in the grill matching the engine? Or the FSM in the windscreen. I haven’t read much on either of these needing to match anything other than model year - and they will only throw up an error if the car already has one fitted and you swap it out with another. As we’re approaching this without existing hardware, it should be okay.
I'm curious to if you get this working. Please let me know. I don't really understand wiring diagrams and the guy that was supposed to help me wiring everything in has gone silent on me. Let me know if you ended up getting it to work.

I was talking about the FSM. I was told that it needed to fit the engine of the car otherwise there's ECU compatibility. Please let me know. Also if you would be kind enough to actually make a tutorial or documentation on how to do the wiring it would be much appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts