Volvo V40 Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
2014 Volvo V40 D4 (5cyl)
Do 16" make for a quiet ride in respect of road noise?
Yes. Not necessarily because of the size but because of the sidewall. Cars with higher sidewalls are almost always quieter than cars with low-profile sidewalls. I can vouch for this as my V40 wears 16" in winter and 17" in summer.
if you are close to your tires running out, try getting a quieter set of tires. Otherwise, if it is really bothering you the 17" are a good downgrade as the tires get cheaper too!

Registered
2014 Volvo V40 D4 (5cyl)
Yes, Volvo fit spacer block to each end of the steering rack to limit its travel, and reprogram the power steering control module with new software that creates a resistance when approaching full lock, to limit the possibility of the spacer blocks damaging the rack. You could call it a cobbled together solution to allow larger wheels and tyres to be fitted than were intended when the car was designed :ROFLMAO:
In Volvo's defense, they aren't the first nor the last to do so. At least they bothered to make sure that the car can take them 馃槄. From my understanding they originaly weren't going to put anything bigger than 17" inces but it seems like the Fashion part of cars had a different idea.

Registered
Yes, all the manufacturers have to follow fashion and consumer demand if they want to sell their cars, or they lose sales to the competition. Just like they offer keyless start and keyless entry, even though they are all aware it is inherently less secure, but consumers are attracted by what they perceive as sexy tech features. Purchasers will spend a small fortune on trinkets, but try getting them to pay a penny more for security features and most aren't interested at all.

Registered
Yes, Volvo fit spacer block to each end of the steering rack to limit its travel, and reprogram the power steering control module with new software that creates a resistance when approaching full lock, to limit the possibility of the spacer blocks damaging the rack. You could call it a cobbled together solution to allow larger wheels and tyres to be fitted than were intended when the car was designed :ROFLMAO:
Or the reality is Volvo realised after launching the V40 how boring and lost the 16" rim looks on the V40 so decided to offer this as a solution along with larger more stylish rims and tyres, for the more modern driver, but still put 16's as standard for the geeky pipe puffers who want a softer ride so that their hemorrhoids dont play up and a bit quieter so that they can tune into the Archers on the radio.:geek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PS,
If you have 16" rims on a V40 no half decent joyrider would want to be seen in it anyway :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Registered
geeky pipe puffers who want a softer ride so that their hemorrhoids dont play up and a bit quieter so that they can tune into the Archers on the radio.:geek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I don't smoke, but apart from that, how did you know? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

PS,
If you have 16" rims on a V40 no half decent joyrider would want to be seen in it anyway :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
One of my primary considerations in buying a Volvo was that (without keyless entry) they are one of the most secure cars on the market, so the additional option of high-security wheels is an added bonus (y):):):)

Registered
I don't smoke, but apart from that, how did you know? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

:oops: it was a wild guess, but why else drive round on 16's :unsure::LOL:

One of my primary considerations in buying a Volvo was that (without keyless entry) they are one of the most secure cars on the market, so the additional option of high-security wheels is an added bonus (y):):):)
Even lowlife scummy joyriders have a certain level they won't come down to, so anything on less than 17's is as secure as the crown jewels 馃槈

Talking of which, if you find your red cherries are playing up on long journeys try sitting on one of those donut cushions, with an ice pack , works for me (y)

Registered
Used to have a V40 (2018) Momentum Nav plus that rode on 205/55 R16 Michelin Primacy 4 tyres. It was a bit noisy on rough roads and motorway speeds, but my only comparison at the time was against a Seat Leon (2013) and Seat Ibiza (2016) riding on 205/55 R16, and 215/40 R17 both on Bridgestones. So compared to those 2, the V40 was marginally quieter. However now I have an Audi A3 on 225/45 R17 on Pirelli P7 C2. A3 is marginally quieter than the V40. I guess if I ended up in a S60 or an Audi A6, might find it quieter still!

Registered
2014 Volvo V4 T5 Cross Country
Can anyone advise me if they have found any improvement with so called quiet tyres. This is my first V40, road noise is my only issue !
I had fitted a set of Michelin PS fitted on the standard 18" rims after I purchased her. We have a lot of coarse chip highways here and the noise levels were not good. After fitting Pirelli P Zeroes (which have been reconfigured to reduce noise) last year the reduction in noise is quite noticeable.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts