Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if these new solarchargers (fitted via cigar lighter) would be safefor an onle 1.8 2001 volvo v40

I understand there may be an issue with certain types of these chargers and older V40s

anyone help?

David Noble

·
Registered
95 Posts
David, this forum is actually for the newer V40 cars.
I don't actually know the answer, but having owned two older petrol V40's I'm not sure why you'd want to. Both original and eventual replacement batteries last really well without use, and if you're driving at all the car will charge them.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I don't know that model at all, but most cars of that era won't have the sophisticated battery management now common, so a trickle charger is unlikely to cause any problems.
That said, my own experience of solar chargers for maintaining car batteries on the vehicle is that they are completely useless.....
A better solution, if the car is not used for an extended period, is probably a battery isolator, if there's one suitable.

·
Registered
268 Posts
In the absence of an isolator just take the negative battery shoe off, that will do the same job, I always did that when my old C200 MB languished in Helsinki airport car park for weeks on end in winter, I just took all the snow off, reconnected the battery shoe and it started even at minus 30c. I miss the simpler cars, these newer Volvos are a nightmare.I don't think I'd dare do the same with my V40.
I'm finding my AA branded charger is working fine, I am away a lot and always got the low charge message until I hooked this up. A friend with a motor-home recommended it me as he's used one for years.
I just had to experiment where in the car I put it, now it's propped on the rear parcel shelf to get the most of the available sun's rays through the rear window.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm finding my AA branded charger is working fine, I am away a lot and always got the low charge message until I hooked this up. A friend with a motor-home recommended it me as he's used one for years.
That looks bigger and has a better spec than ones I've used in the past, I guess later technology is more efficient. Probably worth a punt at £20 or so if there are any left in stock.....

·
Registered
262 Posts
untrue....and unhelpful!
In what way? You have come to a forum for the modern V40 and asked a question about the vintage model.

A member has given you an honest answer in his opinion and that is your reply.....

ungrateful.... and unwarranted!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well I bought one of those AA solar chargers for my 2002 non-Volvo and it arrived today.
Tested at over 21V and 0.15A in good sun; same inside the car behind a standard-tint windscreen.

Car battery was a bit low as unused for 2 weeks, but it started OK so I ran it for a while then turned off and connected the charger. I'll check the voltage again after a day or two, but with that output it should be adequate to maintain charge. It's connected via the OBD port..

·
Registered
699 Posts
Tried my non-Volvo again today, it started briskly so I ran it for a while until fully warmed up.
Battery voltage seems to be maintained at an acceptable level.

Reactions: hullu

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tried my non-Volvo again today, it started briskly so I ran it for a while until fully warmed up.
Battery voltage seems to be maintained at an acceptable level.
Thanks for that extra research, that does confirm my empirical findings.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Though in retrospect I now wish I'd shelled out a few quid more and bought the larger-capacity 4.8A version as that might be better when the days get shorter.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Though in retrospect I now wish I'd shelled out a few quid more and bought the larger-capacity 4.8A version as that might be better when the days get shorter.
This morning I had to drive my D3. It has been standing for 4 weeks with the AA 2.4 amp solar plugged into the OBD.
Car started first time and to my total surprise the Stop Start worked at the first set of lights , even though the A/C was running. So looks like the charger did its job.
I don't normally use stop start but gave it a try as it's a good indication of good battery charge.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This morning I had to drive my D3. It has been standing for 4 weeks with the AA 2.4 amp solar plugged into the OBD.
Out of interest, where is the OBD port on a V40?
I'm thinking I might buy a second charger, one for the V40 too, as it isn't likely to get used much for a while.

·
Registered
699 Posts
under the dash in the footwell , driver's side on the right.
Thanks, found it easily enough. Seems a very tight fit though, the plug on the charger didn't want to go on any distance, but I checked it had voltage from the battery, so was making contact OK.
Second charger arrived today, the larger 4.8W version, that's on the other car now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks, found it easily enough. Seems a very tight fit though, the plug on the charger didn't want to go on any distance, but I checked it had voltage from the battery, so was making contact OK.
Second charger arrived today, the larger 4.8W version, that's on the other car now.
I found the same, almost scared to apply too much pressure, but it seems ok.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Went out in the V40 today, first time for a while, it fired up very smartly.

Reactions: hullu

·
Registered
699 Posts
Went out in the V40 today, first time for a while, it fired up very smartly.
And the same yesterday, but that was only just over a week anyway which would be fine normally.
I did out of interest check the voltage (pre-drive) at the OBD port without the panel connected and it was around 12.2V which is actually more than my other car. That tends to vary around 12v to 12.1v. Though being a big V8 it does have one heck of a big mother of a battery!

·
Registered
268 Posts
And the same yesterday, but that was only just over a week anyway which would be fine normally.
I did out of interest check the voltage (pre-drive) at the OBD port without the panel connected and it was around 12.2V which is actually more than my other car. That tends to vary around 12v to 12.1v. Though being a big V8 it does have one heck of a big mother of a battery!
I wonder whether that's an indication of voltage from both batteries.

·
Registered
699 Posts
More likely that the Volvo has a much cleverer battery management system (and 2 batteries as you say) so who knows what it's actually measuring?
In contrast the V8 is "old school" apart from a few circuits that hibernate a set time after ignition-off or non-use and it still has radio remote locking ticking over all the time too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts