Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, the in built sat nav on my V40 keeps on locking up. It always seems to happen after I've returned to the car after a nipping out of it, usually after filling up, getting a coffee etc. It constantly reads "please wait...", and doesn't unlock until a good few hours after.

When it does eventually restart GPS lock seems to be all over the place for a little while.

Not very good when I'm on a long trip and need to use it when visiting a place I'm not familiar with.

Has anyone had this issue? I've had the car (new) since Sep 2012, and it never happened when I first got it. Only seems to have happened since my first service in May, so I'm not sure if they did something to it.

I've done the first map update and have also done a settings reset. No effect.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
273 Posts
@kjnpbr...I can help, but not really! I have a March 2013 car and at least once a month the car will think it's in central Amsterdam or Paris for about a minute. If it doesn't do that, the Sat Nav will go into launch mode and will then be stuck like that, unless I switch the car off for ten minutes or so...problem is that it also disables the radio, media and car settings. I have also done an update and it had it's first annual service in June. The dealer then said that Volvo were aware of it, but didn't have a fix. The car is going in for it's second annual service on the 1st November and they've been reminded...will post the solution (or not) then! Darren

·
Registered
273 Posts
@kjnpbr...Keith will let you know if they say it's a simple software upgrade or more...cheers Darren

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got an email from the dealer out of the blue this week and on this issue...I can only surmise that it's taken a year for cars with the problematic built in sat nav to finally filter through enough such that the problem has been identified!

I have been told that "Volvo are asking us to carry out some checks on some cabling and to also carry out a software upgrade on one of the units...to then be tested and give feedback".

So in short, you can just call me guinea pig!

·
Registered
2 Posts
John

Just wondering where you got to this? We've only had our V40 for about 3 weeks and the satnav is locked up. It says 'Navigation, please wait...' and nothing happens. I called the dealer and they have not experienced this before.

Thanks John.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wondering where you got to this? We've only had our V40 for about 3 weeks and the satnav is locked up. It says 'Navigation, please wait...' and nothing happens. I called the dealer and they have not experienced this before.

Thanks John.
John, when I had my last service they fixed my issue by updating the satnav software. I haven't had the problem since.

Keith

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got an email from the dealer out of the blue this week and on this issue...I can only surmise that it's taken a year for cars with the problematic built in sat nav to finally filter through enough such that the problem has been identified!

I have been told that "Volvo are asking us to carry out some checks on some cabling and to also carry out a software upgrade on one of the units...to then be tested and give feedback".

So in short, you can just call me guinea pig!
Hi Darren, sorry it took me so long to reply. As you can see from my comment above the service team manage to fix my problem by updating the software. Working perfectly now. (Though if you look at my new thread I have other problems now.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Keith. On my side the saga is continuing. The dealer picked up the car (after I said that I was not going to drive 30 mins to them and get a taxi back...). They have not really said what is wrong, I suspect they don't know. They tried a software update and that did not work. I'm in Sydney and they've ordered an 'IAM', being a 'main module of the infotainment system' from Sweden. By way of example, the voice operation of the system does not work nor does the nav. All they can say is that this has happened on a couple of occasions, including with a Volvo S60 and it seemed to do the trick put a new 'IAM' in. So two months after we bought the car and 6 weeks after the infotainment system failed we are still waiting. In the meantime, there is no compensation for fuel costs and toll road costs each time they pick up the car (and they only pick up if we insist on it). So, overall I'm disappointed in Volvo's after sale service or lack of it. Head office says it's a dealer issue to which I reply it's a brand issue. Other than this issue we are happy with the V40, however, since we rate after-sales care high on the list we are unlikely to buy another Volvo. I'll let you know if the part coming from Sweden works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too have a few problem with the gps of my 2012 V40. The 2D setting is not retained and the unit switch to 3D on his own. This was mentioned during the garanty, but was not fixed. I also have the "navigation please wait" issue. This only occurs when the temperature gets higher in the car, say after a drive or a sunny day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.