Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just updated the Sat Nav. It's a bit of a slow process, but straight forward enough.:)(y)

·
Registered
458 Posts
There is a thread about it here;
and here;
and here

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just spoken to Volvo about updating the sat nav maps on my 2013 V40 Cross Country. I'd tried downloading the update myself from the volvo website onto a USB stick but when I plugged it into the car it asked me for a pin code. Volvo want £85 to update the sat nav and warned me that there's a risk that they could corrupt the system if they did it. This would cost me an additional £900 for a new unit. I questioned whether they could charge me for their error!! Surely that's not legal?? Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife's 2015 V40 didn't ask for a PIN when I updated the maps. Try another dealer. Most main dealers are full of sh*t though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just spoken to Volvo about updating the sat nav maps on my 2013 V40 Cross Country. I'd tried downloading the update myself from the volvo website onto a USB stick but when I plugged it into the car it asked me for a pin code. Volvo want £85 to update the sat nav and warned me that there's a risk that they could corrupt the system if they did it. This would cost me an additional £900 for a new unit. I questioned whether they could charge me for their error!! Surely that's not legal?? Anyone else had this problem?
Do what I did.
Ring your deaker for a service, ask them their best price, then before you book, say you'll book it with them if they do the sat nav licence key update at the same time.
Result, no extra cost.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My wife's 2015 V40 didn't ask for a PIN when I updated the maps. Try another dealer. Most main dealers are full of sh*t though.
There is a difference between the 2013 model and 2015 model. The 2013 model had to be updated by the dealer (hence the PIN) the 2015 model came with "Maps for Life" which could be downloaded and installed by the owner.

There is an update available from Volvo dealers for the older model that allows owners to install maps themselves, but it needs to be installed by the dealers first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a difference between the 2013 model and 2015 model. The 2013 model had to be updated by the dealer (hence the PIN) the 2015 model came with "Maps for Life" which could be downloaded and installed by the owner.

There is an update available from Volvo dealers for the older model that allows owners to install maps themselves, but it needs to be installed by the dealers first.

So would that mean my 64 D2 could swerve the dealer and I could potentially download and install myself?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do what I did.
Ring your deaker for a service, ask them their best price, then before you book, say you'll book it with them if they do the sat nav licence key update at the same time.
Result, no extra cost.
Thanks, I think that’s a great idea. The cost of a dealer service is EXTORTIONATE though. Double what I’m prepared to pay. I took it in for the first year after I brought the car second hand for a once over and software update. If I take it in again I’ll try this.

·
Registered
383 Posts
So would that mean my 64 D2 could swerve the dealer and I could potentially download and install myself?
If your car has the "globe" button in the central console, then you can download by usb stick.
If you car does not have the "globe button" then the updates were done by a pack of 4CD's, which were supplied free during the first few years of ownership. Volvo then had an update where you could download by USB, but had to pay for some software update. This new update was not the same as the current "globe" update. When you go into the Volvo download area, it shows the various types of download to suit the different ages of the cars.

Reactions: Lumaz052

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an early 2014 car & had the dealer update to allow usb sat nav map downloads done this year.

It can be quite a complex fix to do depending on the car - apparently the dealer had to connect my car to Volvo HQ and delete various software before reinstalling from scratch to get it to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks, I think that’s a great idea. The cost of a dealer service is EXTORTIONATE though. Double what I’m prepared to pay. I took it in for the first year after I brought the car second hand for a once over and software update. If I take it in again I’ll try this.
If you do it for the oil and filter service then it's cheaper.

Be aware that the latest satnav map available for 2013 cars is April 2018.
There was some comment on here that Volvo would issue a last map release for us in 2020, but nothing so far.

EDIT
For the early V40 owners, there's a map update to V30.20.03 just released on 3rd Dec 2020.

Download maps | Volvo Support

·
Registered
2015 (65) V40 D4 R-Design Lux 27000 miles
20 Posts
Just updating my wifes now.

2.5 hrs to download this morning
2 hrs to update in the car but the stereo turns off after 20 mins so keep having to go out there to turn the radio back on.

Latest one for her car is 04/2020

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just updating my wifes now.

2.5 hrs to download this morning
2 hrs to update in the car but the stereo turns off after 20 mins so keep having to go out there to turn the radio back on.

Latest one for her car is 04/2020
Yeah, that's the best way.
Update when driving, when parked up, key out, open door, then switch the unit back on (Hold button down a few seconds).
It will continue for 20-30 minutes, you can lock the car if needed.

Some people leave the car running which is pretty daft..

You can keep coming back and switching on the unit, it will carry on where it left off.

All pre summer 14 cars need a software update to remove the lock.
All post summer 14 cars, it's free updates every 6 months from Volvo, quite easy to download and do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi do
Hi do you have a link where I can download an update for my V40 2014.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your car has the "globe" button in the central console, then you can download by usb stick.
If you car does not have the "globe button" then the updates were done by a pack of 4CD's, which were supplied free during the first few years of ownership. Volvo then had an update where you could download by USB, but had to pay for some software update. This new update was not the same as the current "globe" update. When you go into the Volvo download area, it shows the various types of download to suit the different ages of the cars.
Thanks for that, where do I get the download from? Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks for that, where do I get the download from? Thanks
Type in My Volvo - then open up My Volvo/Volvo Cars UK
click on top right icon (3 bars)
click on Help & Support
click on Download maps, then choose the download to suit your car, and follow all the instructions

1 - 18 of 18 Posts