Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just got the disks for SatNav update - 5 hours to install!!!! with engine running or battery charger connected?!?! Is this for real?:s
That makes me kinda glad I did not get the Nav edition.

5 hours - but I read on another forum that it resumes if you switch off. the only problem is you cannot use it at all for those 5 hours it seems.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, the update does take five hours; mine actually estimated 5:25 hours at the start of the update process.

This does seem an inordinate amount of time but there are 4 DVD's worth of data to read and install and the Infotainment system isn't a PC so we shouldn't expect PC speeds. Having said that it would no doubt be much quicker to update from USB but then it would also be more expensive…

Whilst you need to have the Infotainment system switched 'on' during the update you don't need to have the engine running. For some of the time I left the Infotainment system running and left the car unlocked on the drive returning to the car every 15 minutes or so to keep the Infotainment system on.

Also, after Disk 2 had installed I was able to use Navigation again; perhaps the UK mapping is on Disk 2 and it lets you use it once the relevant map is installed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Techwatcher.
The update info offers the alternative of charging the battery instead of running the engine; that seems the preference, but does anyone here have experience of doing it that way?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine took 4 days.
put first disk in and drove as normal, when I stopped overnight the install stopped.
When I got back in and drove it carried on from where it left off.
I do a lot of journeys of 40 miles or less and park up the vehicle.
When disk 1 had finished it asked for disk 2 and so on.
Only issue I had was no sat nav until disk 2 completed and could not change radio stations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How up to date is update?

So I got the update installed, but the big disappointment is that it doesn't seem very up to date. I have family living on a new development in Somerset, on a street that has existed for two years, but it's not available on this update. 2 years!!! Mind you, I can't find it on Google, Mapquest and others...

·
Registered
202 Posts
So I got the update installed, but the big disappointment is that it doesn't seem very up to date. I have family living on a new development in Somerset, on a street that has existed for two years, but it's not available on this update. 2 years!!! Mind you, I can't find it on Google, Mapquest and others...
Hmmmm...... Seems the practice of releasing new residential streets to mapping companies hasn't improved. 21 years ago when I moved onto a brand new build housing estate it took 6 years before courier companies could find my street directly and this wasn't a rural area but only 9 miles outside of Manchester city centre. My last move 11 years ago took nearly 4 years before sat-navs and OS maps included it.
I don't know where the hold up is but 2 years doesn't surprise me, still disappointing all the same in this age of instant digital info exchange.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have done it on mine and not really tested it yet.

Does it now include ATM machines as this was a POI that every other system seems to have, thank goodness for pocketgpsworld.com

Out of interest does anyone know how you can adjust the amount of time/warning the system comes before you reach a POI (speed camera)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.