Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any thoughts on swapping wheels front to back after around 10 - 15 k miles to equalise tyre wear? I don't mean swapping sides so tyres keep the same direction of rotation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did a lot of research into this and it should definitely be done. The first swap regardless of whether they are directional or not should be a left with left, right with right swap.

In the second swap it should be a cross, right back goes to front left, front left to left back and visa versa for the other side. I had a long chat to a Michelin technition about this.

I'm on 8000km so I think I'm going to rotate soon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In the second swap it should be a cross, right back goes to front left, front left to left back and visa versa for the other side. I had a long chat to a Michelin technition about this.
:huh: Not too sure about this, something I would never do.

However, with all my cars, I always do a front to rear swap at about 8000 miles

·
Registered
945 Posts
I do mine on all my cars (not the as the rears are 1" bigger than the fronts).

I swap mine before the fronts get to 4mm then by the time the replaced fronts get down to 3mm the rears will be about the same so I get a new set of matching tyres (I never run tyres with below 3mm of tread) it also means the rears never get to long in the tooth (old rubber can be worse than bold rubber)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Must be some heavy tyre wearer's out there.

Unless damaged I have always managed to run tyres to 20-25k miles or so. The Lovely V has 15k on the clock and the fronts are still showing 6+mm tread depth. At this rate I may not change them before she gets traded, (how callously we treat these beauties).

Next time (unless I go for an S60), I won't be having the low-profile tyres in the hope that I can enjoy a smoother and quieter ride. I'm thinking Lux model may be the choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The cross rotate has always seemed a little strange to me but that what the guys said, only on the second rotate though.

Imafudd, I've got 8000km but I'm going to rotate because I can see some definite wear, I just bought the car as a demo and I can definitely see there were a few fast test drives in it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Front and rear wheels inevitably have different camber angles, and after a while the wear across the tyres corresponds to this. If you swap them front to rear, initially there is less contact with the road. The first time I did a swap I came to grief at the first fast roundabout I came to, so I learnt my lesson and have never done it since.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yellow belly that sounds interesting but it must help in the long run and I'm sure that the difference does equalise eventually.

Everyone recommends it from the tyre manufactures to the car dealers.

I think I'm going to give it a bash on Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I normally find front tyres need replacing at 25-30k, and rears at about 60-70k.

In other words the rears last twice as long, so when I replace the front ones, I put the new tyres on the rear and swop the rears to the front.:thumbup:

This is recognised as the safest way, because it is the rear tyres that shoulder the responsibility of keeping the car stuck to the road when cornering.
(Put worn tyres on the rear and the back will break away when cornering in the wet)

I don't believe in swopping around to achieve even tyre wear: because there will come a time when all four tyres are becoming worn at once (increasing braking times as well as making for unsafe handling) , also you will have the cost of replacing all four at once too.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I only get about 12,000 out of a full set on the st but that is giving out great torque and power and is driven, enthusiastically.

I ran winter tyres last year so can't say how long the v40's have lasted, will be a bit better than the ST.

Re camber, I do not think the Volvo runs much camber so I do not see an big issue here, the lotus on the other hand....I swapped them on the rims side to side, (rotational tread pattern) when I was using it as a daily drive, it lasted about 3days, it was like driving on a knife edge

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gambit, Do you know if there is tyre pressure sensors on the inside of the Hub? If so this will tell you a wrong wheel should you have a deflation.

·
Registered
945 Posts
darren, that is actually a good point, I'm going to think about that actually. Was going to take it tomorrow to get rotated but I will mull it over tonight.
See my post above, get the camber angles first to see what difference there is, chances are the possible slght change and therefore slightly different ware will be a lot less hazardous compared to having old tyres on the back

·
Registered
62 Posts
As Darren says, No matter where the tyre is, you will use the same amount of rubber per mile. All you are doing by moving them around is delaying the first point at which you need to replace a pair. And again as Darren says - always have the newer tyres on the back - safer that way.

Also, swappping left and right tyres may cause instability as they may have worn unevenly in the previously locations, causing them to provide uneven contact pressure on the road - I found this on a previous car and it was terrible!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.