Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've had an utter nightmare since taking delivery of a brand new V40 T2 Momentum in the UK last July. I'm now on the second vehicle which has the identical intermittent issue, the original was replaced in September, after I escalated the matter and asked to be switched to another dealer via the HQ. I could not tolerate the non customer attitude of the original supplying dealer.

It's really the most strange sound; when the a/c is on and engine running it will go from normal to a crunching, scratching sound like there are leaves in the system at any flow setting. When the engine auto-cuts out at lights the noise stops then re-starts with the engine. Happens both on auto-climate and manual adjustment. It's loud enough to be noticeable even with audio on so if anyone else has heard of this issue or found a solution please do let me know.

It now essentially feels like I am being told by both the dealer (and the UK HQ) that I'm hearing things, they cannot replicate the fault and won't allow me to reject the vehicle. I actually went for a test drive with an engineer in the car whilst the issue was happening, yet to my face the engineer claimed not to hear it. The finance company finally sent someone to check it out earlier this year but of course the issue wouldn't replicate on the engineers visit and so also are closing their complaint. I'm now being told by them to find an independent garage/mechanic, have them listen to it and put in writing they believe there to be a fault; Circles. Going around in.

I thought Volvo was supposed to be a premium brand but after this episode I can't wait to get out the lease, the experience has been appalling.

Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
Was yours a factory order or it was already at the dealer forecourt? I do wonder, because I always thought V40 ceased production sometime in 2nd Quarter 2019 (I could be wrong). Assuming yours is the manual 2.0 Litre engine?

Myself (touch wood) the only 'annoyance' with my late 2018 (68 plate) V40 T3 Geatronic Momentum Nav + was just the parking ticket holder making squeaky noises when rubbing (only warm weather), and some whilstling sound travelling at 70mph, but this must have been the gap between the rubber seals on the windscreen as once these were filled with dust/dirt, noise disappeared! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was yours a factory order or it was already at the dealer forecourt? I do wonder, because I always thought V40 ceased production sometime in 2nd Quarter 2019 (I could be wrong). Assuming yours is the manual 2.0 Litre engine?

Myself (touch wood) the only 'annoyance' with my late 2018 (68 plate) V40 T3 Geatronic Momentum Nav + was just the parking ticket holder making squeaky noises when rubbing (only warm weather), and some whilstling sound travelling at 70mph, but this must have been the gap between the rubber seals on the windscreen as once these were filled with dust/dirt, noise disappeared! :)
Thanks, both were from production stock I believe, they replaced the first one but both have identical issues. Mine is the 1.4 Auto T2. Sounds like you dodged the bullets I'm experiencing. I'd happily settle what you're going through!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had a few problems with my previous car (not Volvo) where I heard a rattle (it's not consitent), and due to sods law, by the time I got to the dealership, the rattle has gone away, So I used my phone an pressed the record / video when it happened for a good 30 secs. Only then they were happy to start taking trim apart, and they did fix the issue. Regarding your A/C issues, for me, it's not uncommon for me to turn on the AC, few seconds later, there is the 'Darth Vader' breathing sound for couple of secs, but then it doesn't come back until maybe the next time I use the car and use AC. I do run my AC 'regularly' even if just for 5 mins when it's not needed, to keep the gas circulating, seals and stuff good. I wonder if there is a leak or broken hose somewhere. Regarding production stock, I meant, did you place and order with the dealership, waited for 2 months or so, car arrives from Belgium, and then you collected the car, or you went to the dealership, saw a car that you like, that was already there, and bought it. Likewise, when they replaced your car, did you have to wait few months for a next new one to arrive from Belgium or it was just another car sat at the dealership? Yes touch wood mine only had some minor niggles, it was factory built and wait was 2 months.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I have the same issue described here, although a fair bit quieter as I wouldn't notice with music playing, for example.

It very much sounds like there is something stuck in the air system somewhere as the noise disappears when the A/C is off. It's somewhere between a rattling and crackling noise.

Not sure it's annoying enough for me to take it to a dealer but wanted to mention to the OP that they're possibly not alone with the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts