Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was driving on the motorway yesterday and a few times the message "Problem communicating with screen. The display will be turned off within 10 seconds" flashed up. Eventually the whole system shut itself down (which wasn't helpful as I was relying on sat nav at the time) and then came back on after a few minutes.

I've not been able to find anything about that in the manual and wondered if anyone had any ideas what might cause that? This is a MY17 car just coming up to 2 months old.

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sure Buzby will be able to provide you with a comprehensive answer regarding the technical reasons why your display malfunctioned. Our amazing Volvo guru...

Surely it's back to the dealer to fix under warranty since your V40 is only a baby? It might never happen again, but maybe the technical department ought to look into it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking it might need to go be looked at too but don't want to waste anyone's time if it's likely to have been a one-off or a loose connection I can get to or something else simple.

Was a bit worrying to see though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Back to the dealer. The fault gets logged with Volvo. If there are more occurrences, especially on other cars, then it will get investigated.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I was thinking it might need to go be looked at too but don't want to waste anyone's time if it's likely to have been a one-off or a loose connection I can get to or something else simple.

Was a bit worrying to see though.
It's possibly a loose connection on the CAN or MOST bus connectors on screen (which is the Infotainment Control Module, or ICM). If it went off completely (including losing the climate info at the bottom of the screen) then it's probably a connection at the back of the screen, which isn't easy to get to (it requires partial dismantling of the dash).

If you still had the climate info bar on the bottom of the screen but the rest was blank then it's most likely gone into MOST Lock, where the optic fibre MOST bus(a ring circuit where the data only travels round from node to node in one direction) shuts down. It's actually a security feature to prevent stolen (or second-hand) audio modules being used - if the ICM detects a node whose serial it doesn't recognise it shuts down the MOST bus. It can also be triggered by a break in the MOST bus ring circuit that stops the modules responding. This sometimes happens due to the MOST connection to the AUD amplifier module (a black rectangular connector with 2 orange-jacketed plastic fibres in it) under the seat not being inserted in the socket fully and then being dislodged by a rear seat passenger's feet. That one is easy enough to check, but would only apply if you could still see the climate info (which is supplied to the ICM screen over the CAN bus connection and isn't affected by the MOST Lock).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks buzby - the screen went completely blank - no climate info, nothing. Then maybe a minute later the Volvo logo appeared and it restarted, with the destination still set in the nav and the same music playing that had been before.

I think if it happens again I'll have a word with the dealer and get them to take a look.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thanks buzby - the screen went completely blank - no climate info, nothing. Then maybe a minute later the Volvo logo appeared and it restarted, with the destination still set in the nav and the same music playing that had been before.
That defintiely sounds like one of the connections going into the back of the ICM then (or possibly a software or hardware issue in the ICM that's caused it to lock up and be rebooted).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the same thing several days ago.
the "Problem communicating with screen. The display will be turned off within 10 seconds" message (or something like that) - I think black screen under this message.

and then reboot ! Volvo logo, "initializing hdd", etc...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I had the same thing several days ago.
the "Problem communicating with screen. The display will be turned off within 10 seconds" message (or something like that) - I think black screen under this message.

and then reboot ! Volvo logo, "initializing hdd", etc...
Hmm, whats the old saying - "once is unfortunate...."
The same thing happening on 2 different cars would suggest a software issue. Both cars have got Nav as well. Have you both recently updated the maps by any chance?

·
Registered
73 Posts
no maps update (I have to do as I haven't the last version).

MY16, but I just bought it as second-hand car, maybe I had a recent update of the software by the dealership.

Only one "in-road" reboot since 2 months I have the car

·
Registered
716 Posts
New map update due any day I suppose (6 months).

I had loads of frustrating screen hangs and reboots for a while which I! traced to the connections to the unit under the passenger seat. Probably kicked by people in the back. Reseated fixed for me...
Car has been faultless this year, and won't be going for a volvo service and software update for it's 3rd year service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's possibly a loose connection on the CAN or MOST bus connectors on screen (which is the Infotainment Control Module, or ICM). If it went off completely (including losing the climate info at the bottom of the screen) then it's probably a connection at the back of the screen, which isn't easy to get to (it requires partial dismantling of the dash).

If you still had the climate info bar on the bottom of the screen but the rest was blank then it's most likely gone into MOST Lock, where the optic fibre MOST bus(a ring circuit where the data only travels round from node to node in one direction) shuts down. It's actually a security feature to prevent stolen (or second-hand) audio modules being used - if the ICM detects a node whose serial it doesn't recognise it shuts down the MOST bus. It can also be triggered by a break in the MOST bus ring circuit that stops the modules responding. This sometimes happens due to the MOST connection to the AUD amplifier module (a black rectangular connector with 2 orange-jacketed plastic fibres in it) under the seat not being inserted in the socket fully and then being dislodged by a rear seat passenger's feet. That one is easy enough to check, but would only apply if you could still see the climate info (which is supplied to the ICM screen over the CAN bus connection and isn't affected by the MOST Lock).
Hey to you all!

I'm having the same problem with my v40 volvo (2013 model) - the display has stopped working (music, phone, menu..), but the climate info works just fine. So i guess it has something to do with the Optic Fiber MOST. (this happened after having the interior cleaned by someone else)

My question is : can i just unplug and then plug the connections into the amplifier module? Or should i let a professional ckeck it out? I have to mention that the closet Volvo Service is 250 km away - but i can go see them, if necessary.

Thanks ! Have a good day!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Interesting. I had this same issue a couple of years ago.
Reseating all the connectors under the passenger seat apparently fixed it..

But, it has just returned..

As described, the screen appears to lock up (I'll double check climate can be adjusted next time), no buttons (Switching between radio, nav, media) work. Stays like this for a minute, then the system shuts down and restarts from scratch with the volvo logo and carries on.

It started again coincidentally after the latest nav and gracenote update that a did a week or so ago.
I'm going to have a look at the seat connections again tonight and will update in a few days.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Had a good reseat in the Amp area last night. Looking at mine from the rear seats.
Far right is the fibre connector (Orange cables), when I unplug this the audio stops, but the track counter continues.
Next is the main power. Two chunky power cables by the looks of things.
Then another block which I assume is speaker outputs?

I do have a far left block which is empty?? What's that for?

It's been fine since, but is very intermittent. I'm sure the head unit is confused after updates, I had previously noticed it more when I'd changed mobile phones/data to the sensus nav.

When it gets stuck and reboots, it is different behavior to when I unplug the Fibre link as it completely locks the display and controls (Music continues for a while) before it just shuts down and comes back on with a the volvo logo.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Ok. Given this a little more time today..

Listening to USB, sound stops, display sticks. No buttons change what happens with the audio system. Just act as if they are not working.
Altering the temperature and fans works in the car, but the display does not change. After about 30 seconds, the system blanks, hard drive spins down, 2 seconds later the Volvo logo appears and it all come back online where it left off.

Had this problem from time to time in its first year, blamed it on connections under the passenger seat (UK). It's been fine for the last 18 months, and is now starting to do it again occasionally.

I'm thinking of taking the centre console out and the head unit to check connections, then I hope to be able to check the connections to the screen without taking the dash apart?? Up from the area of the head unit?

Thoughts on the fault and the plan of action please??

I do have Vida/Dice but when I looked a few months ago there was no logged faults, so assuming the same, although I may look again tonight.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey to you all!

I'm having the same problem with my v40 volvo (2013 model) - the display has stopped working (music, phone, menu..), but the climate info works just fine. So i guess it has something to do with the Optic Fiber MOST. (this happened after having the interior cleaned by someone else)

My question is : can i just unplug and then plug the connections into the amplifier module? Or should i let a professional ckeck it out? I have to mention that the closet Volvo Service is 250 km away - but i can go see them, if necessary.
Yes, that definitely sounds like MOST Lock if the screen is blank other than the climate graphics. As long as the iginition is off is should be relatively safe to disconnent and reconnect the connections on the AUD module under the seat. Just be careful as I think the power connection (the big 2-pole grey connector with thick wires) is constant live. The terminals are pretty well hidden inside the connector shell though, so it's quite safe.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Ok. Given this a little more time today..

Listening to USB, sound stops, display sticks. No buttons change what happens with the audio system. Just act as if they are not working.
Altering the temperature and fans works in the car, but the display does not change. After about 30 seconds, the system blanks, hard drive spins down, 2 seconds later the Volvo logo appears and it all come back online where it left off.

Had this problem from time to time in its first year, blamed it on connections under the passenger seat (UK). It's been fine for the last 18 months, and is now starting to do it again occasionally.

I'm thinking of taking the centre console out and the head unit to check connections, then I hope to be able to check the connections to the screen without taking the dash apart?? Up from the area of the head unit?

Thoughts on the fault and the plan of action please??

I do have Vida/Dice but when I looked a few months ago there was no logged faults, so assuming the same, although I may look again tonight.
That sounds like a firmware lockup to me I'm afraid. Embedded systems usually have a watchdog in them where if the software locks up and don't constantly reset the watchdog flag it times out and resets the unit..

Does it noly happen when you are listening to the USB, or does it affect the radio as well? My headunit locks up sometimes when it encounters MP£ files with tag information it doesn't like.

Either way, if it's reproducible and under warranty take it back and let them sort it out. If it does need the IAM or ICM replacing and they see you have been in there they will take the hump and try to blame you (and try to charge you the full ~£1k for a replacement IAM module).

·
Registered
716 Posts
That sounds like a firmware lockup to me I'm afraid. Embedded systems usually have a watchdog in them where if the software locks up and don't constantly reset the watchdog flag it times out and resets the unit..

Does it noly happen when you are listening to the USB, or does it affect the radio as well? My headunit locks up sometimes when it encounters MP£ files with tag information it doesn't like.

Either way, if it's reproducible and under warranty take it back and let them sort it out. If it does need the IAM or ICM replacing and they see you have been in there they will take the hump and try to blame you (and try to charge you the full ~£1k for a replacement IAM module).
I tend to agree with you, what's annoying is that it has been fine for the last 18 months.

Things that are different..
Different phone connected (BT)
More Music (MP3 - USB and copied to HDD)

It was logged and looked at by the garage but they couldn't find anything in the first year of the car.
The car is now out of warranty, and it is so intermittent, I'm not too bothered in wasting my time with them.

One thing that I've noticed is that since I have taken out the DVD (Video DVD) it is behaving (3 days). Could be heat, vibration related..

Looking at the terrible video, it looks like only two screws to get to the display, so I may just reseat them connectors for now (if it happens again).

3 mins in..

Reactions: MagaDS

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've finally got to the bottom of this problem.

Me, like others, would have a situation where the screen would freeze and would not respond to any button press for about 30-180 seconds. The system would then completely reboot (Volvo logo, HDD spin down) and come back to life.

Had this from the start of owning the car for about 6 months, then disappeared for two years, now back again. Initially put this down to the cables to the amp under the passenger seat (UK).

Anyways, I've solved it!
It was 100% my phone!
Was using a HTC One M8 when I first had the car (Problems), moved to a Samsung (No problems), and back to my HTC One M8.

In the bluetooth settings on the phone after it is connected to the car, I have 4 options which are NOW currently set as.

Phone Audio (Use for Phone Audio) ENABLED
Media Audio (Use for Media Audio) DISABLED
Contact Sharing (Use for Contact Sharing) ENABLED
Message Access (Use for Map) DISABLED

I am 100% sure it is the Media Audio Handshaking that is the problem, even if the car is playing the Radio/USB and the phone is connected, the system would lock up and crash/reboot.

I have these settings like this for the last month or so, and had NO crashes.
I enabled the Media Audio, and Message Access yesterday and the head unit in the car locked up within 2 minutes.

Happy Days, I love my car again!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts