Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not sure that it would be sensible to have the boot fly open whenever the catch is released. Especially on a hatchback where it could be damaged on walls and in car parks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have been looking for this for some time so thanks to Ryan for finding the site. I contacted them last night and they will ship to the UK.

However, they have referred to 'series 2' V40 from 2012 onwards as the compatible vehicle. I think this is still current but not sure. Grateful if someone could confirm that our current version (66 reg) is a series 2 and that the struts should be the same? ( I appreciate that it may not be possible to be absolutely sure but a good guess would do.)

This is a useful addition for the V40 boot which does not lift at all. For anyone with mobility or strength it is difficult to open as you have to pull up from below the horizontal. Looks like this simply toy strengthens the force from the struts so it will rise. I doubt it will 'fly' open but I guess you would need to be careful where you opened the boot as you approached.

TIA

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'd be interested to see how well this works, could well want to do the same.
Please let us know the overall costs, ease of installation and effectiveness.
And yes, I think the current V40 is what they call series 2. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_V40

Reactions: V40Pete

·
Registered
720 Posts
Looks interesting and easy to fit. Unfortunately my German is non existant, and I haven''t found any info in English

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you go to the link given by the OP and translate the page (I use translate in google chrome-the pop up box comes up for language selection when you open the page)and you can see it all in reasonable English. If you select the V40 option there are then a series of photos showing installation. Looks very simple job with a couple of hand tools.
I will order a set and see how we go.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Grrr! Showing as out of stock at the moment. Have asked for stock available date so may be a while before I report back.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes it is fitted to the existing damper rods. As standard the boot unlocks but does not lift more than an inch so you then need to place your hand underneath the lid and pull/push it to allow it to fully open. The design is said to provide additional force that should lift the boot by a few cms above the tip point so that you do not have to 'lift' the boot after unlocking. Very important if you are limited in strength or mobilitiy.

If you go to the page http://gb-tuning.de/produkte/go-simply-automatische-heckklappe-volvo-v40-05-2012-03-2016 there is a pdf file of installation instructions etc where you can see how they fit and work. (need to scroll down the page to reach the English version of the instructions)

I am waiting for mine to arrive from Germany but will post some more detail after fitting them on how easy or otherwise to fit and how effective they are.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes! Thank you so much, I will try it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqUiuHDmqvE

It is so cool and usefull. One thing, I hope that it is easy to close the boot after installation ^^
I was thinking the same thing. Does the stiffer spring make the boot harder to close?

Pete , looking forward to your review on this as Iam really tempted myself.

Maybe it was me but I can't find the English version of the PDF on their website.
Also did you have to go through the order process in German?

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
@Lingfan. I use Google Chrome as my browser so I can just right click on a webpage and 'translate'. The 'pdf file is a multi language document (like you get in most EU products). You just need to open the .pdf and then scroll thru the document to get top the English version.
Fitting looks no more than a 10 minutes job with a couple of hand tools. I wouldnt worry about closing forces. Given that you pull down, and the weight of the boot lid acts in your favour as well, then you are unlikely to notice any difference with them fitted.
I am still waiting for the components to arrive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very tempted by this, my only two concerns would be is that does it make closing the boot more difficult and would it wear the rods faster?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I notice on the v40 video above the hatch opens fully but on some other cars I've seen on you tube the hatch only opens part way.
I assume a lot depends on the condition of the factory struts. It would be nice if the hatch opens fully though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When the parts actually move from Hamburg (where DHL say they have been since last night!) I will be able to confirm for you. I really don't think there will be a problem either with the rate of lift or hand force to pull down to close. You really don't need that much extra to move the boot lid in either direction as long as the OEM dampers are in good condition.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Parts arrived and fitted this morning.

What arrived is a pair of compression springs of about 150mm length encased in a rubber sheath. One end bears on the inner end of the damper (the section connected to the car body) and the other has a encased washer that bears on the socket part of the ball and socket fitting that connects the damper to the boot. So under compression when the boot is shut they provide an extra force for the first part of opening

Fitting is a doddle as suggested in the video etc. The only point I would add is that on our MY17 model the ball section of the ball and socket is on the boot and not the damper as shown in their pictures. At first I was worried that the socket was a moulded fitting, but, no, it is screwed onto the end of the damper. The only fiddly bit is removing and replacing the small metal circlip that holds the ball and socket in place. I couldn't find my circlip pliers and had to improvise getting the circlip back on. Make sure you have yours as you really do need them.

So, as to operation. It does lift the boot, however------ I think the spring is too strong, maybe a 90/100 mm spring would have been plenty. It could be that it needs to compressed and work for while but I am sceptical about that.

When closing the boot the additional resistance is felt once the boot reaches about horizontal. Then you have to almost slam the boot from that point.

Sad to say that the concerns expressed about the speed and force of opening have proven valid in my view and that is both surprising and disappointing given their German engineering background. On close reading of the instruction they do warn against anyone being close to the boot when opening. If you are not expecting it I could see people or kids being startled. I dont' think it would be a case of being knocked over or suffering direct physical injury from contact; more about an instinctive reaction causing a topple (maybe backwards?). Most importantly, once fitted, I think you should only ever open the boot using the key and make sure you are standing a few feet from the rear of the car.

In the longer term I wonder whether it will lead to excessive wear and tear of the boot locking components.

From a disabled user point of view I have to say that they do overcome the opening issue but introduce an issue with closing the boot. It is my wife who has the issues so I will report back once she has tried to use the modified boot.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Pete.
How do you think it would get on with just the one spring? Would it be enough force to open, easier to close?

I may just experiment with some springs? and black tape?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Haha. I tried that before fitting the second spring. Not enough to open the boot I am afraid which sort of suggests that the springs are not that weighty.

Let's see how it goes after a few weeks/months. They will spend most of their life in compression of course so I am guessing that some 'relaxation' might have been considered in the design??

1 - 20 of 54 Posts