Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Come on boys, springs are only a quid on ebay, we should be able to make these ourselves rather than paying the Germans 40 euro.
Dimensions and length on the spring please?

#brexit

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the update Pete , much appreciated.
It would be great if you could upload a video of the hatch opening if possible.

@ Chiptivo , I would'nt mind having a go at diy first as long as it looked and worked ok.
Can't say I have much of a clue on what springs etc to try though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my view the length of the spring is a fixed measurement. (the length of the compressed rod part of the opener. What will make all the difference is the compression strength of the spring selected. That will determine the exact force needed to open the boot in a more controlled manner.
Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I will see what I can do a re a video. I can take one just not sure how to upload it here.

Polestar is correct re the springs. The design is that the compressive force is used to get the boot above the tipping point not to fully open it. What happens is that the first opening is primarily driven by the added compressed spring extending from say 75mm to its uncompressed length of 140mm and the remainder is by the OEM damper. That first release is not damped at all thus the quick opening at first. Thus a lower compressive force might be the answer but it is just as likely that the supplied springs are the lowest level practicable for the job.

If you go DIY, and I wouldn't be bothered to be honest, you will need to consider bearing parts at each end of the spring to ensure the load sits squarely on either end of the OEM damper components and also a cover for the spring to limit distortion and potential damage to the vehicle. And then it will still open more quickly at first.

The better option would be to have optional dampers available. They are so easy to remove and fit. However, I have come to realise that after market for Volvo is woefully absent. I guess because of Volvo keeping things to themselves or maybe the old view of 'Volvo Driver' persists.

I will monitor how it performs over the coming months and may well contact Go Simply with a query about whether they have built in too great a compressive force.

·
Registered
171 Posts
One video showing opening and the other the pressure required to close the boot. Apologies for the heavy breathing!

Just to mention that the force doesn't feel as strong today. maybe I am just used to it or perhaps some relaxation in the compressed spring is relevant.

https://youtu.be/KmdeXYwLo2M

https://youtu.be/Y2DWGuCw9kM
Thank you for the videos Pete. They do seem really effective and I see what you mean regarding the extra pressure needed to close the last third.
I have bitten the bullet and ordered a set myself as the DIY idea was probably a none starter.
So I will pass my opinions on when Mine Arrive and I fit them.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
One video showing opening and the other the pressure required to close the boot. Apologies for the heavy breathing!

Just to mention that the force doesn't feel as strong today. maybe I am just used to it or perhaps some relaxation in the compressed spring is relevant.

https://youtu.be/KmdeXYwLo2M

https://youtu.be/Y2DWGuCw9kM
Hi Pete

I fitted mine today , easy to fit but mine don't work as well as yours.
My car is a MY2013 so the struts are not as strong.
When I hit the button on the keyfob , the hatch opens like yours but stops at the mid-way point. I assume the older struts don't have enough strength to then punch the hatch to the fully open position.
So I either leave it as it is or buy some new struts which are probably not cheap. (Anyone know how much?)

Also I was surprised at how much force is needed to close the hatch from the mid-way position.
It feels stiffer to close than your video appeared..... but maybe your stronger than me:wink2:

Maybe they will settle in a bit with time. Have you noticed any change to yours yet?

I'll have a think about which way I want to go.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@Lingfan

The first few days saw a marked drop in the performance so give it a day or two to reach what you saw in my videos. The car is my wife's and she is in hospital (routine not serious) at the moment so it hasn't had any use for a week or so. I will report back in a week or two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I contaced with them. they have it on webpage but wont provide anymore.
Oh didn’t realise they don’t provide it anymore. Just seen the text that says not available. Wonder where else we can get these from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 42 Posts