1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
202 Posts
Been looking at this since they announced it back in April.
The 3g/4g dongle goes in a USB port in the front of the device which is installed in the tray in the glove compartment. Or you can tether your own phone via USB/bluetooth dependant upon phone.
It also has Composite video and audio inputs also for dvd players etc.
I've noticed it can now be spec'd on the Volvo UK site in the configurator. It's £1000 without iGO nav and £1300 with as a dealer retrofit option. That's a lot of money for what is essentially a low spec Android computer running an old version of software (2.3 Gingerbread).
I've spent many an hour weighing up whether its worth it and I've decided that for now for me it's not. Here's some of why I don't :-
The touch interface is nice and novel but its only for the SCT interface. The hotspot feature is nice but I can do that now with my mobile (does drain the battery considerably but just USB it to the car to get around that), and that will also need decent data plan to be worthwhile.
Other features like music streaming via Spoitfy and Deezer and the weather app etc are all good but are they really worth a grand? And a further 300 quid for navigation? Just for dashboard integration.
I've also looked at the market place and there's not many apps available. There's multiple navigation apps including TomTom which I own on my Android phone already, but as it's a separate market place I'd have to buy it again, which I'd rather not do.
The hardware is made by Parrot and if you google around you can find their standalone products available for any suitable vehicle. Volvo have just integrated the backend of this system added the infra-red touch interface and approved selected apps from the Parrot marketplace.
One feature I did like is the ability to mirror your Android phone or tablet to your centre screen, but i don't know how effective it'll be i.e is there any lag and I doubt you can control your mobile device from the touch interface meaning you'll have to use the phone/tablet to do any input during the mirroring. Not something you'd want to do while driving. I couldn't find any further info on this so it's just me surmising.

Don't get me wrong - always connected fully interactive media systems are the future as far as I'm concerned, but at the moment I think manufacturers are charging an excessive premium for being first adopters.
Now if someone can figure out how to root it and get access to the Google Play market I 'd be up for it.
The good thing is can be retro-fitted by the dealer to any 7inch equipped V40 so it can always be added anytime in the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

I have a date at the dealer to get this on Monday , i get back later

I have a V40 CC T5 AWD remap to 285 hp, with all in minus sunroof

Regards

Erik, Denmark

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd rather buy a decent expensive tablet mount and a new nexus 7 inch or even a crap-pad before I pay that amount of money. I admit I did opt for the 7 inch screen in case it was something I wanted later on, but really the price is completely over the top. My dealer thought it would be around 400 - 600 if you already had the 7 inch screen.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi

I have a date at the dealer to get this on Monday , i get back later
I'd be very interested to hear your findings when you get it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd be very interested to hear your findings when you get it.

Hi guys,
I have ordered this upgrade with my new t5 R design. Will accept delivery end of september so will let you know what it is like.

regards

Andrew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there

I Got this toy now in my car , and it Works great , but you need to get at dongle for
Internet Works , not good with iphone , have to do on/Off every time you get in and out

I Think the Price is to High for this toy , in Denmark we pay about 1600 euro for std. and
No igo map on, igo cost 450 euro more, and i volvo RTI in, so no need

The spotify are great, and also the email Info

Regards

Erik

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds good.
What's the market place like? Are they many apps available?
Have you investigated rooting it and then sideloading the Google Market Place and other apps thereafter?
As it's an Android system (and and old one) I reckon it's best tethered to Android phones if your provider allows it.
It is very expensive, that's the primary reason I can't justify it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi guys. I took delivery of my V40 t5 r design with sensis touch yesterday. This is the first one to be fitted in Melbourne Australia and the dealer (Melbourne City Volvo) was very excited to play with new device. This version is without IGO which is possibly extra charge. maybe I'll install it later.... The sensis touch is great for me as the DAB radio option is not available in Australia (due to incompatibility with our DAB+) and I do not like our local radio stations. I can now stream radio from internet to my heart's content with great quality. There is spotify as well as a couple of other apps that are great. Not many more apps though. I have connected to my samsung s4 via wireless hotspot and usb too. Both connections work great and I do not need to keep connecting when I switch back on (as reported above with iphone). Also connected easily with home wifi. One thing I have found is that you must have a telco provider with good coverage. I tried one here (optus) with only 3g and dubious coverage and had continual drop outs. I switched to my main 4g provider (telstra) and had only one drop out.
In a country with limited radio stations like Australia I think this system is well worth the money. I also love having a car that google for me lol....

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/00mc6nq03gzi3kd/qa8CDdpuVy

·
Registered
139 Posts
. I have connected to my samsung s4 via wireless hotspot and usb too.
Just to clarify, I connected my samsung s4 in usb mode as well. Have not got a dongle yet.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the feedback andlep :thumbup:
Have you tried the mirror-link app. When you do can you report if it can mirror video played on the phone or is it too laggy and suitable only for apps. Also what control of the app do you have, is it from the phone or can the sensus touch control be used.

Cheers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have you tried the mirror-link app.
Hi Cueball
For the moment Parrot Smartlink is not available on my sensus connect. Not sure if it is an Australian thing or if it applies worldwide. The dealer here has no info yet as this is the only one here in Melbourne, however I am sure volvo australia will update this when the new models with SCT arrive. It will be interesting to see if the mirror function works with the car in motion.....
FYI the only parrot apps available here in Australia are: Tune in Radio, Maps, Spotify, Deezer,Roadtrip, Live Radio and Wikango. If you look at parrot market there are many apps, however once I login (with volvo SCT as my parrot device) the available apps are reduced.
I will try to get IGO through the dealer as soon as it is available (the salesperson who sold me the car is off to volvo australia head office for training and will make enquiries for me).
This system is very new at the moment and I hope in the future more exciting apps are added. I am not sure what volvo's pricing for this system will be, but in my humble opinion it should be standard with the premium audio system.
Hope this helps.

Regards

Andrew

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was sitting in the car the other day, phone in my pocket, and get a whatsapp, would be nice to view your phone on the sensus screen, and not having to take out your phone to view stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i guys, just order my new V40 with Sensus and navigation system(Italy...). just one question. I have to buy a new internet key for that toy. How many Gb to u think i need montly??? just for traffic info, weather forecast and web radio somethimes....
does anyone try waze as navigator? how does it works??
tnx to all...!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
. How many Gb to u think i need montly??? !
Ciao maxmax congratulations on you new car and welcome to the forum.
I have been measuring my usage and find that with radio streaming I am using about 150 megabytes per day(I've only had the car a few days). That's listening to radio for over one and half hours. Without radio it's only about 10 megabytes. I am initially trying a 3gb plan which should be okay for me. I do recommend you get 4g dongle I found it works much better than 3g. Also get a mobile company that has good coverage.
I've had no experience with waze however I am ordering igo so will post my impressions when I get it.

Once again welcome and hope this helps.
Regards
Andrew

Ps don't forget you tube and similar sites really chew up the data. ...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ciao maxmax congratulations on you new car and welcome to the forum.
I have been measuring my usage and find that with radio streaming I am using about 150 megabytes per day(I've only had the car a few days). That's listening to radio for over one and half hours. Without radio it's only about 10 megabytes. I am initially trying a 3gb plan which should be okay for me. I do recommend you get 4g dongle I found it works much better than 3g. Also get a mobile company that has good coverage.
I've had no experience with waze however I am ordering igo so will post my impressions when I get it.

Once again welcome and hope this helps.
Regards
Andrew

Ps don't forget you tube and similar sites really chew up the data. ...
Thank you so much for your info!!! what do you mean with "without radio"? do you need internet connection for traffic info? then i'll try with 5Gb as you suggest. i've order the sensus with navi, so i guess i'll have the IGO system too...i'll post my impression when i get it as you. I was just curious about waze. it works great with my iPhone.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you so much for your info!!! what do you mean with "without radio"? do you need internet connection for traffic info? .
I mean that when I am not streaming "radio stations" (through tunein radio , spotify or orange) the data usage is by email, web browser or wikango. Five gigs should be plenty.
ps: I will dream of Roman gnocchi and gelato tonight lol
regards
Andrew

·
Registered
44 Posts
I mean that when I am not streaming "radio stations" (through tunein radio , spotify or orange) the data usage is by email, web browser or wikango. Five gigs should be plenty.
ps: I will dream of Roman gnocchi and gelato tonight lol
regards
Andrew
Email...??? R u telling me that u can see the incoming mail in the display...??? keep on telling me some tricks of this toy. i'm still wondering why i spent so much for this amenity...(1,800 €)
Honored to offer you a good Gnocchi Romani a gelato and Tiramisù if u come in Rome!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Email...??? R u telling me that u can see the incoming mail in the display...???
There is an email app that notifies you you both by sound and icon of new emails, however you cannot read them while moving.

Honored to offer you a good Gnocchi Romani a gelato and Tiramisù if u come in Rome!!!
:p

keep on telling me some tricks of this toy. i'm still wondering why i spent so much for this amenity...(1,800 €)
!
It also has a calendar, calculator and browser. For a gadget guy I think it's great to have.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts