Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, this is my first post, I have just bought a V40 D2 ES and wondered whether or not to upgrade to the sensus module, screen and sat nav?

I have heard its quite pricey.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi All, this is my first post, I have just bought a V40 D2 ES and wondered whether or not to upgrade to the sensus module, screen and sat nav?

I have heard its quite pricey.
I assume that as you have an ES, it has the 'Performance' Infotainment system (Level 0) that has the IAM (the head unit in the dash) with the integrated amp (no AUD amplifier module under the passenger front seat) and only 2 speakers?
This post explains the Infotainment levels and which version of the IAM is used for each one:
http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/14-interior/19874-premium-audio-album-art-2.html#post176226

If so, I'm not sure it can be upgraded. The higher-spec audio systems (Level 1 'High Perfomance' and above) have a completely different wiring and optical fibre setup (due to having the seperate AUD amplifier module) that's integrated into the main body harness of the car and is not available as a retrofit option.

Even on cars with High Performance infotainment (Level 1) or above, there are no dealer-fit upgrades to move between the levels. If the original buyer didn't add the Nav option, then the GPS receiver and the version of the IAM with the GPS interface and HDD would not have been fitted when the car was built.

All of the infotainment system components are linked together on an optical fibre interface called MOST. When the car is built, the Infotainment Control Module (ICM) is loaded with the serial numbers of all the nodes on the MOST network (the screen, IAM head unit, AUD amp module and DAB module), and constantly runs a security check against them. If it detects a node that isn't on it's list (or a node stops reponding), it shuts the MOST network down.

This is done to prevent 'stolen' modules being put into another car. It also prevents people moving second-hand units from one car to another, so you have to pay Volvo a lot of money to buy a replacement module which they then code to the car when it is installed. There is a software download available to disable the MOST security protocol, but dealers are inder instruction from Volvo UK not to let vehicles leave the workshop with MOST security disabled.

The only dealer-fit upgrade offered by Volvo was the Sensus Connected Touch module. This was basically a Car PC made by Parrot that took over some of the functions of the IAM and had it's own WiFi, USB and Bluetooth interfaces to allow web access for streaming services. It also had an optional Navigation application called iGo with it's own GPS receiver. However, It could only be installed on cars built with Infotainment Level 2 (High Performance with 7" screen) or above, so if you have got the Level 0 Performance system that's not an option either I'm afraid.

·
Registered
942 Posts
A warm welcome to the forum Andy & congrats on choosing the V40!!
Great place to be for the daily commute or weekend escape or a bit of both :)

If you have already bought a dealer car then Buzby's answer is the end of the story I'm sorry to say.
We all defer to his knowledge of what can & can't be done to the V40's electronics.

If you mean you have just ordered your car then there is probably time to upgrade your order to include Sensus Connect.
If you already own a reasonably new Tom Tom or similar and you are not that fussed about having it hang off your windscreen then it may be money well saved.

Personally, after experiencing the 5" sensus in my loaner T3 while mine was being serviced... I would definitely try to find the money for the upgrade if I were buying one now.
Better sound, better graphics & no tom tom hanging off the windscreen or cord trailing thru the car.
They way next turn directions are integrated into the TFT dash is also very convenient and I suspect safer.

Is it worth the silly money they ask for it? That's a question only you & your budget can really answer.
I'm sure some members will disagree but it's only my opinion.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the sat nav on the V40 (2014 in mine). It's ok, but if it's something tricky I balance my iPhone plus (which fits quite well) over the screen and use google maps... :)

By all accounts the Sensus isn't the best implementation of a connected car front end..

It's a lot of £££ too for the upgrade... But that's just my tuppence worth..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just to clarify its an ex demonstrator, so stuck with what I have.

I can upgrade the lot, new screen etc etc etc, but its about 1800 all in supplied and fitted.

Hmm maybe a hard wired tom tom I think.

It has level one in.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ouch... $3600 :surprise:
You weren't kidding when you said it's quite pricey were you? :crying:
That is a really tough call Andy...
It also flies in the face of what Buzby thought was possible at a dealer level.
I can only assume that a considerable chunk of what they are quoting would be the dreaded labour costs involved.

To clarify... Are they offering an upgrade to Sensus Connect High Performance or Sensus Connected Touch?
With that much money involved I'd want to be very clear on exactly what you are getting.
To be honest though... Either way that's an awful lot of money just to get a fully integrated system.

There is to my ears at least a noticeable improvement in sound quality from the base 5" Sensus system to the 7" Sensus Connect.
I was so impressed with the 7" HP system I didn't bother spending the $1500 my dealer wanted for the premium system.
Having now experienced the premium unit in the Polestar S60 I drove recently I can attest that it is indeed a fuller, richer sound but I'm not sure it's $1500 dollars better...
That's a very user subjective opinion though & I'm sure many owners feel it is worth every cent!

There is also quite a noticeable improvement in graphics quality quite apart from just the jump from a 5" to a 7" screen.
Having experienced both I'd still struggle handing over THAT much money for it though.
It will really come down to how long you plan on keeping it & how much you enjoy your music while driving given that a reasonably new tom tom can provide the nav side of things.
I certainly don't envy you trying to decide... Best of luck :s

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just to clarify its an ex demonstrator, so stuck with what I have.

I can upgrade the lot, new screen etc etc etc, but its about 1800 all in supplied and fitted.

Hmm maybe a hard wired tom tom I think.

It has level one in.
It's fortunate that someone decided to add the Level 1 Infotainment as an option, otherwise there would be no upgrade path at all.

What year is the car? £1800 is in the ballpark for the 7" screen upgrade and the Sensus Connected Touch module to be installed, which AFAIK is the only way you can get navigation on a car that wasn't built with it, How the SCT's iGo navigation system compares to the factory Navteq system I can's say, maybe one of the few people here who have got it could chip in..

If it is Sensus Connected Touch they are going to install, then if you have a phone that has unlimited data you can tether it to the SCT module and use it for streaming. I'm not sure how much you would use the other features it has like web browsing though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had the SCT installed into my v40, personally found the igo sat nav very good. Some of the menus were a little complicated, did you know you have to pay for the igo software separate think its about £300.

The streaming side of things i love it. Loved having Spotify had a wifi dongle in the car with 20gb of data.

·
Registered
V40 MY13
41 Posts
I have to ask guys, I can buy for ~60 euro navi module with part number: 3135777, I will fix to my V40 MY13??
coding can be done by service

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have to ask guys, I can buy for ~60 euro navi module with part number: 3135777, I will fix to my V40 MY13??
coding can be done by service
The answer is still the same as when you asked in January:
http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/14-interior/21001-sensus-navigation-upgrade-3.html#post277593
The reason used modules are so cheap compared to a Volvo exchange part is because they are next to useless due to the MOST security system. On top of that, you can't fit an IAM 2.1 Level 3 into a car with High Performance audio as the dash loom wiring for the IAM changes between levels.

·
Registered
V40 MY13
41 Posts
I am ready to deal with all of that wires and ask dealer to do the codeing but first I want to gather all needed parts
all I want is get confirmation about that part, nothing more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did u ever figure it out, because i have a 5 inch screen and i have bought a 7inch screen but the wiring is different on the back of the screens so i cant put it in thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts