Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my V40 (2013 D2) for a year now really like the car. I bought it from my local Volvo dealer who did an MOT and service before I picked it up. The ‘book maintenance’ sign has just come up on the dash and I can’t decide whether to do it myself. It’s got 60k on the clock and I’m aware that the cam belt will need doing next year which I will take to a garage for. Is a 60k service simply oil and filter change (it has full Volvo history) and if so are there any special tools needed? I have always serviced my own cars before - I had planned to keep this one going with Volvo servicing but trying to arrange a day off work to get this done is difficult.

·
Registered
66Plate V40 D2 Momentum Nav Plus in Mussel Blue
72 Posts
I took the view with my 2016 D2 that previously had full Volvo history that as I intend to keep the car long term I couldn't see any point in wasting money at expensive Volvo main dealers.
I say if you are capable of servicing it and finding solutions to any mechanical issues that will arise in the future I say just do it yourself and have the peace of mind knowing that it has been done correctly and not by some numpty kid in a Volvo dealership!
For just an oil and filter change the only special tool over and above normal socket set is you will need is an oil filter tool that is freely available for just a few pounds on the internet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Unsure which filter tool you need for your particular year V40, the1.6 engine may be different so check.
Below is the one that I bought and used on my 2.0. VEA engine D2 when I did my oil/filter change a couple of months ago:

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
766 Posts
You need the air filter box out of the way on the early (pre'16) 1.6 D2... makes the oil filter easily accessible. Be careful disconnecting the breather pipe clips from the cam cover, they go brittle... And be sure to use the correct A5/B5 spec oil

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe different on a 1.6 or older V40 but certainly not on a VEA engined D2 you don't remove the air cleaner box or anything anywhere near it. Everything is done underneath the car except pouring the new oil in. That is all you do under the bonnet.

The oil filter is accessed from underneath the car after the sump tray is removed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been too busy recently to tackle this but have set time aside on Sunday. I’ve had a look under the bonnet and the air filter housing does need to be removed to access the oil filter. Anybody know what size socket I need to remove the oil filter housing? Trying to see it with the air filter in place it looks to be around 20mm but would like to make sure I have the correct socket before I start the job

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just done oil and filter change - probably the easiest one I’ve ever done. How do you reset the service light/maintenance overdue warning though. Can’t see it in the handbook and a couple of YouTube lessons haven’t done it🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally managed the service indicator reset - took a few attempts.
Also got a question - when I took the old oil filter out which didn’t look like it had been changed for years despite having full Volvo history - I noticed that the replacement one, a Bosch was missing a plastic strip that the old one had. New one had the fitment nipple like the old one and fitted perfectly so I assume that it’s going to be okay?

pics below show old and new:

Digital camera Point-and-shoot camera Reflex camera Camera lens Camera
Fluid Gas Household hardware Auto part Automotive tire
Fluid Gas Household hardware Auto part Automotive tire

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
766 Posts
Im fussy about the fuel and oil filter, always using original from Volvo, TMS charge less online including delivery than collecting over the counter... The air and pollen I use Bosch from 'parts in motion' online

1 - 17 of 17 Posts