Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is a general trend for V40s to develop suspension/ ride issues? My 2014 V40 has, for a while now, been giving a terrible ride, with every bump in the road being felt - you can almost feel the tyres spinning around through the drivers seat. it’s only done a modest 57000 miles, and the local dealer in Watford states everything is normal?? I’ve had a front/driver side spring replaced, last year as a creaking noise took the problem up to a new level. not sure I can face keeping it for much longer when it’s so unrelaxing to drive. Didn’t quite expect this from my first Volvo.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have to say, the most disappointing aspect of mine is the suspension. Speed bumps need crawling over, and dont go near a pot hole... Something to do with the Ford Focus mechanicals maybe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to say, the most disappointing aspect of mine is the suspension. Speed bumps need crawling over, and dont go near a pot hole... Something to do with the Ford Focus mechanicals maybe
Thanks for your feedback on this. I also mentioned this issue to my trusted local independant mechanic, and he felt it was due to the low profile design. Wish there was a solution, as I was hoping to keep it a couple more years.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why there are two same posts, one with D3 and second with D4 in the description? What is the size of your tyres, how old are they and what pressure they're on?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine is perfect. V40 CC on 17 inch 225/50 by Continental

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is perfect. V40 CC on 17 inch 225/50 by Continental
That’s interesting. I’m just using the recommended type of tyres that came with it, but had several replaced, due to flats (that’s another story - I’m sure I’ve had more with this car than my previous Golf). Might experiment with tyre pressures, but rather not need to.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm running mine on the slightly higher pressure (high load setting) to improve directional stability.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Replace the front shocks with Bilstein!!! You will smile all the way. I replaced mine around a month ago, as I had the clicking noise when going over cobble stones etc. Going over speed bumps was harsh, and the steering still felt poor. One thing I noticed was that the stabiliser arm connects to the shocks.

So I went for Bilstein shocks, good quality over Volvo. And WOW it's a new car. The clicking is gone, speed bumps - no issue anymore. The drive is so so so much better.
Ii just found one problem with the shocks compared to the originals. The tube does not fully go down into the hub to sit on the collar. There is a 3mm gap, that the originals do not have, but I took 3mm off the stopper, to get the tube to slide in and sit like the originals. So if you go for aftermarket, just beware of this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replace the front shocks with Bilstein!!! You will smile all the way. I replaced mine around a month ago, as I had the clicking noise when going over cobble stones etc. Going over speed bumps was harsh, and the steering still felt poor. One thing I noticed was that the stabiliser arm connects to the shocks.

So I went for Bilstein shocks, good quality over Volvo. And WOW it's a new car. The clicking is gone, speed bumps - no issue anymore. The drive is so so so much better.
Ii just found one problem with the shocks compared to the originals. The tube does not fully go down into the hub to sit on the collar. There is a 3mm gap, that the originals do not have, but I took 3mm off the stopper, to get the tube to slide in and sit like the originals. So if you go for aftermarket, just beware of this.
Thanks - this is worth bearing in mind. I’ve set my tyres at 33psi (as it’s often just me in the car) and that has helped a bit. But if it’s possible to create a much more forgiving ride, then I would gladly look into alternatives.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Can't believe you are recommending Bilstein when they don't even bother to check that it fits. Gives me no confidence on the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Can't believe you are recommending Bilstein when they don't even bother to check that it fits. Gives me no confidence on the manufacturing process.
Well for one the quality is good. Other people will not even look at this when replacing. Other brands like Monroe is a no no, and Volvo is/was too expensive.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We have a different view on 'quality'. If it doesn't fit what is the quality?

·
Registered
797 Posts
You (Chris D) haven't actually said what wheels and tyres (and suspension type) you have..... they are usually the most important things, along with correct geometry for ride/handling issues.

Reactions: Gotcha
1 - 15 of 15 Posts