Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm currently looking to buy my first ever volvo and have decided on the v40. For my budget I'll be getting a 65/66 plate with 40/50k in R design form. My dilemma is do I go sensible and get a D2 for the mpg or go with my heart and opt for the D4 which appears to have similar mpg but with obvious driver benefits. I know its dependent on how hard you push it, but driven sensibly can the D4 get as close to D2 figures as it says? Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome Tuftylfc. Personally I would go with your heart, if you don't you'll always be wondering .. what if!
I have a D2 but cannot comment on the MPG comparison.
Whatever you decide, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Go for the D4, the mpg would only be 2-3mpg difference, but the smile factor would be more than that! If you are just cruising along at 65-70mph, mpg would be marginal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for confirming exactly what I'm thinking, I've decided to go with a D4 and hoping to go shopping tomorrow :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Oh, and put a full 1st and 2nd tank of Shell / Esso's finest diesel (Vpower and Supreme) for their cleaning properties, like descaling a kettle! Oh, and you might want to polish up the exhaust tips!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back to the drawing board ! having test driven a D2 today I can't help thinking its the more sensible choice and certainly didn't seem under powered. Better mpg, and perhaps a year younger for the same money. The one I drove had a great spec including pano roof which stops it feeling as small and dark inside, a big bonus for me. I need to test drive a D4 now, although I expect it will make me reconsider again. The D3 appears to be neither nor to me, its not got the power of the D4 if its speed you want or the economy of the D2 if running costs are your priority. Looks like I'm in for another sleepless night, my heads all over the place !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. I purchased a 66 plate D2 R Design, its got the new Thor LED lights which I think add a bit of class to the front. Its also got full leather, nav, pano roof, leccy seats, auto park and camera. Its not the LUX or SAT version just a basic R design which someone has spent a fortune ungrading. Must admit to being a bit disappointed that a car like this comes with a manual dipping rear view mirror ? would also have expected individual heater controls in the front. Otherwise, loving the car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure it's not got dual climate ? Picture of the dash/heater control's maybe.
Thanks Snowman, thanks to you questioning this I checked the manual (phone app) and saw the picture of the L/R on the temp knob which I hadn't even noticed 🙄 doh !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts