Volvo V40 Forums banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Back on the main issue I've finally had some communication.
They now "recommend" removal of the cylinder head to investigate further.
The cost to do that is eye-watering......

No indication yet (I've asked) whether the price also includes investigations AND reinstatement, nor any contribution that Volvo will make - I'm expecting 100% given the low mileage, 100% Volvo service history (at the dealer where it is nbow) and contributions already promised for work already done that in reality may not have been needed!

·
Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
193 Posts
Back on the main issue I've finally had some communication.
They now "recommend" removal of the cylinder head to investigate further.
The cost to do that is eye-watering......

No indication yet (I've asked) whether the price also includes investigations AND reinstatement, nor any contribution that Volvo will make - I'm expecting 100% given the low mileage, 100% Volvo service history (at the dealer where it is nbow) and contributions already promised for work already done that in reality may not have been needed!
Sounds like there'll bbe a battle no doubt. Trouble is it's no good to anyone in its current state. I'm amazed it's taken this long to come to this conclusion.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I'm now told that the dealer are awaiting a response from Volvo and that Volvo technical are also involved (again? though I would expect that anyway)

·
Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
193 Posts
I'm now told that the dealer are awaiting a response from Volvo and that Volvo technical are also involved (again? though I would expect that anyway)
Keep hoping I see a message to say it's been repaired but just seems like you're going nowhere fast.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's very much the usual "let's replace all the easy parts first before committing to a proper diagnosis". I suspect the dealer will be trying to charge someone for the parts and labour for the items that weren't actually faulty in due course as well. Let's hope it's Volvo!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
The work done so far was on a "contribution" basis with me paying a portion. Not 100% contribution but not unreasonable if it had worked. Given it didn't work and I've not paid anything yet (and the car isn't fixed either) it's all up for renegotiation obviously.....

Reactions: RS3100

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Todays update. The cylinder head is coming off for investigations.
There are two probable outcomes:
1. Crack in the head, fit a new cylinder head.
2. Crack in the block, fit a whole new engine (not worth getting a short block, too much work to swap everything)
As for which problem came first the technicians wouldn't guess, they thought a crack could cause the other failures but equally a failed thermostat or pump could lead to overheating and a crack.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Todays update. The cylinder head is coming off for investigations.
There are two probable outcomes:
1. Crack in the head, fit a new cylinder head.
2. Crack in the block, fit a whole new engine (not worth getting a short block, too much work to swap everything)
As for which problem came first the technicians wouldn't guess, they thought a crack could cause the other failures but equally a failed thermostat or pump could lead to overheating and a crack.
Wouldn't like to guess a value of the engine. In my case it would be an uneconomical repair. Has to be 7k all in swapped and fitted?

Is that there findings or there expected outcomes?

Jaso

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Probable outcomes. Volvo are also awaiting the results as they won't commit any further support until there's a firm diagnosis.
That said, they've also not said no.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Probable outcomes. Volvo are also awaiting the results as they won't commit any further support until there's a firm diagnosis.
That said, they've also not said no.
Personally I'd expect them to front the entire cost considering you've got a full Volvo history and the milage, don't expect a catastrophic engine failure. Probably one of them things is the why it happened but it's what they do about it that counts. My car is probably only worth about 8k given the 120k it's done although it's a MY17 which would make it an uneconomical repair. These days you'd expect 200k and more from a well maintained vehicle without issues.

Good luck.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
This is progressing at a snails pace. My car is being taken to a larger branch of the dealership for the head removal.
I presume that won't happen until next week now. We're 8 weeks in now! :mad:
I've been told the price for a new head but not (yet) a new engine.

A friend of mine retired from a long career in the motor trade (including working for Volvo for some years) when asked would he bet on gasket, head or block said "Head". But we'll see - eventually.....

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
So we have a diagnosis at last. A boroscope showed that cylinder 2 is leaking through the liner.
New engine required. Over to Volvo.........

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Given I was told this was found with a boroscope I presume they didn't take the head off, just removed the plugs and had a look that way?
Volvo technical involved so they may have advised that as appropriate. It can also be done while the engine is hot so leaks may be more evident.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Given I was told this was found with a boroscope I presume they didn't take the head off, just removed the plugs and had a look that way?
Volvo technical involved so they may have advised that as appropriate. It can also be done while the engine is hot so leaks may be more evident.
Has to be a manufacturer or installation defect, you've certainly got a good claim being unfit for purpose and any court in the land would rule in your favour. I'd expect Volvo to be up all costs up to date and the cost of a new engine given the milage, age and full Volvo service history. You was just plain unlucky with this one. What engine number was it?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Engine B4204T111472609 on the sales invoice. What does that tell us?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Posa
Engine B4204T111472609 on the sales invoice. What does that tell us?
Possibly if others crop up with the same defect with a similar number. So yours fell into the number range that had the piston issue that used oil because the drain holes in the rings where too small? At least if you get a engine replacement you'll have the modified pistons.

·
Registered
193 Posts
B4204T would be the engine type (I think) and engine number would be 111472609 that should be on the V5 as well.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
V5C says 1472609.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts