Volvo V40 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
B4204T11 is the engine type - VEA/Drive-E 4-cylinder petrol T5. 1472609 is the sequential engine number.

Boroscope and/or pressure test is what they should have done from the start. The old-fashioned (practical) way of diagnosing a defect. Back to where we started - if coolant is being lost and nothing is obvious externally, there has to be an issue inside the engine.

And no, it's very unlikely to be a manufacturing defect. Presumably the car hasn't being losing coolant from new? But overheating or poor coolant circulation due to the pump defect is a very likely cause.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Silence......... no response yet from Volvo. :(

·
Registered
307 Posts
That's terrible considering all you have been through and the time it's taken to get this far.
Have you grown to like the XC40 now you have had it for a while?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
Not sure about the XC40 now, when we test drove one at launch it seemed fine, but now it's a bit of a "bus". Rather wallowy on corners, the V40 is a much better drive.
And the one we have has a couple of major issues:
1. It's missing important tech (i.e. options) that we want so is a bit of a PITA to drive. Especially no radar cruise!
2. Updated tech, especially touchscreens, I really really loathe. Keyless entry too.
And SWMBO just finds the driving position is for big people, I'm 6 foot she's 5'4" and the pedals are just wrong. And the boot close buttons are almost out of reach!
Maybe if we tried an R-design version (do they exist?) it would handle better? Though our V40 is a Cross Country it's still quite nimble.

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Silence......... no response yet from Volvo. :(
And nothing yet today, maybe there's some debate within Volvo and/or need for senior approval that is taking time?

Incidentally found out how to adjust the opening limit on the XC40 boot so that SWMBO can reach it more easily.
And it has that trendy "wave your foot under the bumper" opening, though that isn't reliable and doesn't seem to work at night.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·

·
Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
193 Posts
Indeed it will. They've had a week so far and I've heard nothing! :sleep:
Could be good, might just of ordered and be getting of with it without a contribution from you. Would of thought they would be in touch by now to talk money if that was what it needed. I'd imagine it would be a 7k job maybe more.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
They would need my agreement before doing anything like that, even if it was at no cost to me.
I've heard from the dealer today that nothing has been done yet, they are still waiting on a response from Volvo on costs. :sleep:

·
Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
193 Posts
They would need my agreement before doing anything like that, even if it was at no cost to me.
I've heard from the dealer today that nothing has been done yet, they are still waiting on a response from Volvo on costs. :sleep:
At this rate your car will be road tax exempt by the time they are done....

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Tax expires next week so I'm going to SORN it whatever! Should have done that 2 months ago if I'd known.

Reactions: driverjgp

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Well we've had an offer from Volvo:
1. The overall costs are a LOT higher than anyone here has suggested. Not hugely more than I thought, but still pretty eye-watering.
2. The percentage contribution is a lot lower, certainly well short of 100%. It was in line with the offer on the original relatively minor work.
I've responded with several points in addition to the above 2, not least that given the mileage and expected life of modern engines a Volvo contribution of around 90% would be fairer, at which point they might as well pay for it all in the interests of customer service, loyalty and positive publicity.
So the dealer are presumably relaying my comments back to Volvo UK for consideration.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
First response was they won't improve the offer, but try talking to Customer Care (again).

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Only 60% consistently from the start and won't budge. Against their "list" prices as far as I can tell so actually probably not even a loss for them. :mad:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Only 60% consistently from the start and won't budge. Against their "list" prices as far as I can tell so actually probably not even a loss for them. :mad:
Yeah I see what you're saying, sorry to hear that. What's your next move?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I need details in writing I guess, this is all verbal. Breakdown of costs, analysis by Volvo of the faults, what failed, what caused what and how they come to the 60% figure.

Reactions: driverjgp

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Yes I still have the XC40 though it's not ideal as noted earlier. I'd much rather have my V40 back with all its features.
I've requested (by email) a significant amount of information, all of which I think is eminently reasonable, in line with my comment above.
That request has been acknowledged and the key parts of the reply (in summary) are that they are:
"gathering all the information you require and will be in contact as soon as I have this."
I'm particularly interested to see what Volvo think the sequence of events was and why they think 60% is an appropriate contribution.

I'm also assuming that, in common with most other manufacturers, the onboard diagnostics will log error situations along with a time/date stamp. This should surely be checked at the annual service, especially if errors are cleared (if they can be). As such there ought to be data available to show when problems first became apparent (transient low coolant levels was the first I recall) and how/when they developed. I've asked for this, is it accessible to the dealer or Volvo?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Still waiting for an answer from Dealer/Volvo, they do send me emails occasionally saying they're working on it....(answering my questions and explaining the pricing etc. in writing that is)

101 - 120 of 126 Posts