Volvo V40 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
So finally I have "something" in writing. But Volvo won't move from 60% goodwill contribution, they say they base that on factors such as age, mileage, service history and previous ownership of Volvo cars.
I've had company cars all my working life and Volvos were never an option; the first new (actually ex-demo) car I bought in literally 40 years was this V40 for use in our retirement! I expect that's a typical Volvo demographic group. :ROFLMAO:
I'll probably ask the dealer to go back one more time and ask Volvo to think not only about previous ownership (explaining why there is none) but more about the future and our potential loyalty to their brand.

·
Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
243 Posts
What's that turned into currency? Obviously past work that's been done to no avail has to be taken into consideration too.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I think the servicing dealer has made some adjustments and, given they are really just "piggy in the middle" are not being unreasonable. I've asked them a number of further questions to clarify everything that I now have in writing.
Meanwhile I've also informed and involved the selling dealer on the basis that any formal claim I make is likely to be against them, though none of us really want it to get to that stage. I believe they too will now talk to Volvo, they also advised a further call by me to Volvo customer services.

I'm not entirely happy with the servicing dealer, mainly around the length of time taken to get a diagnosis, but my main dissatisfaction is obviously with the level of responsibility that Volvo are prepared to take, especially as I think the underlying problem has actually been developing for quite a long time.

Reactions: driverjgp

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I'm wondering how my situation compares to those with diesel engine issues?
I get the impression that Volvo are more generous with those, maybe because they're commoner and there's more publicity?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Well Volvo came back a week ago and basically haven't moved.
After taking some advice I authorised (by phone) the work this Monday at the contribution level already agreed by Volvo; further action/claim by me is NOT excluded by doing this. I asked to be kept regularly updated on progress of ordering parts, expected repair schedule and actual progress.
Apart from a brief email Q&A to confirm my approval I've heard nothing at all this week..........

So I've still no idea when I'll get my car back, though I do have an XC40 on loan - far from ideal, but it does for now.

I've also got my other "modern classic" car back from a major overhaul so I'm using that whenever I can, it's much nicer to drive, but only goes to places where it's safe to park, never a supermarket!

Reactions: JCart

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Heard today that the new engine has arrived. Looking at up to 3 weeks from now to do all the work!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Slightly less than 3 weeks, I've been told by email that's it's done but not yet back at the local dealer.
Tried to phone the dealer to discuss checks I need done to make sure it's all OK and arrange return, can't get through to anyone. Left a message that I'd called, no response yet and they definitely have my number!

·
Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
243 Posts
Slightly less than 3 weeks, I've been told by email that's it's done but not yet back at the local dealer.
Tried to phone the dealer to discuss checks I need done to make sure it's all OK and arrange return, can't get through to anyone. Left a message that I'd called, no response yet and they definitely have my number!
Can't believe how you've been treated over this, they couldn't have cared less.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I see in your footer your car has / had 'polestar performance' ensure it still has when you collect it.
It's on my list of things that absolutely must be verified before I'll go anywhere near it!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I've also asked for copies of any images or video from the borescope and for the old engine to be secured as I may wish to appoint an independent expert to look at it.

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've also asked for copies of any images or video from the borescope and for the old engine to be secured as I may wish to appoint an independent expert to look at it.
Good luck with that. Probably long dropped in the skip. Can't even return a phone call let alone save any specific parts.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Borescope didn't record so no joy there. Engine goes back to Volvo so I'll pursue via their Customer Support.
Other things on my checklist the dealer is responding to constructively.
And someone senior has obviously been through the invoices and a few things that I might have queried have sensibly/magically vanished. Still eye-watering but noticeably reduced.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
It has a new MOT and I've taxed it. Just awaiting confirmation that they've thoroughly checked it's all working properly and exactly when/how it will be returned - some time Monday in the sweltering heat!

·
Registered
243 Posts
It has a new MOT and I've taxed it. Just awaiting confirmation that they've thoroughly checked it's all working properly and exactly when/how it will be returned - some time Monday in the sweltering heat!
At least it will be a good test to see if it's cooling correctly, hope to hear of some good news.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Just awaiting confirmation that they've thoroughly checked it's all working properly
8am today an email: "Just waiting the Senior Tech to carry out some final checks", since then silence....

Reactions: driverjgp

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Apparently it needs new batteries, both of them, as the stop-start won't work........... no charge. And no charge.
Might get it back later today, batteries due to arrive mid-afternoon. But why didn't the team that swapped the engine, and presumably road-tested it, find this out?

• Sad
Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
No.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts