Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or can help?

I have had my V40 D2 R design for about three months. Have been really pleased with all aspects of the car. However about a month and a half into ownership I went to start it up one morning and it began to chug and throw smoke out the back??

I contacted volvo who sent an engineer who thought the software required re-coding. This has been done and all was fine for around a month and its just happened again.

Volvo this time have said its an issue with the glow plugs and the temperature they kick in at 15*. So the smoke is unburnt fuel. Apparently if it reoccurs i have to let it run for a few minutes and it should clear. There is no current fix and they are liaising with the factory apparently. I'm a bit disapointed to say the least. Surely there is something else they can do??

Any feedback would be appreciated Cheers Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have had this problem with my D2 now for 5 mths, volvo claim it's within normal spec, I disagree. Mines been in garage a total of 15 days trying to find a cure. Problem is it only happens on first start of the day.

My battle with Volvo HQ continues.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have had no problems with my D2 on startup until this week. Unusually, due to various issues, I let the gauge fall to the red and only filled-up when the distance-to-empty tank reading was --.-- .

Filled up with Shell on Thursday, as opposed to usual supermarket stuff and no more 'chuggyness'. Maybe there is something in this chat about not using cheap petrol.

Not saying that this is always the case but it seems to have worked for mine.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Can it only get better!

hi just to add to your thoughts on this, so far I have only filled up twice mileage now 950, my first fill-up was at asda at 80 mls which gave a mpg of 50.2 mils at 509 my second tank was from esso mpg showing 53.3 and still 2bars left on the gauge, I cant say I am impressed by the mpg, granted the car is an auto due to mobility, but I have a very light right foot and felt a lot of what you say is chuggyness with the first tankfull, the second I have a much smoother drive, But just one and a bit months in to a 3 year contract I can only hope mpg gets better!!!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
..I cant say I am impressed by the mpg, granted the car is an auto due to mobility, but I have a very light right foot and felt a lot of what you say is chuggyness with the first tankfull...
Although a light foot is OK for very new engine, a bit of lead in the foot is actually a good thing. In layman's terms it clears the tubes. Certainly I have noticed an improvement in mpg if I give mine a blast occasionally, without being a boy racer of course. :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
hi yes thank you for the reply, its still early for me to start pushing the pedal, normally I like to run a car in old style, I know that's not what every body goes for these days, but having started my first job in a Volvo,vw, Peugeot, garage in the 60s, it sort of still plays a part in my idea that you land up with a lot more torque, better oil consumption and a better car. I totally agree that a lead foot is good at times, and will get there after 1500 mls in short blasts as you say to blow the pipes out, I feel a bit miffed as the salesman seemed to think after my road test that I should get 65 mpg easy !!!!!! but then they would say that wouldn't they.:s

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or can help?

I have had my V40 D2 R design for about three months. Have been really pleased with all aspects of the car. However about a month and a half into ownership I went to start it up one morning and it began to chug and throw smoke out the back??

I contacted volvo who sent an engineer who thought the software required re-coding. This has been done and all was fine for around a month and its just happened again.

Volvo this time have said its an issue with the glow plugs and the temperature they kick in at 15*. So the smoke is unburnt fuel. Apparently if it reoccurs i have to let it run for a few minutes and it should clear. There is no current fix and they are liaising with the factory apparently. I'm a bit disapointed to say the least. Surely there is something else they can do??

Any feedback would be appreciated Cheers Mark
I have the same it starts up rough and smokes a lot it's been a on going issue with volvo and all they say the software has been updated it's going back in a few days to volvo we will see the out come

·
Registered
62 Posts
White smoke is likely excess diesel. Could be glow plugs not heating up, but could also be a leaky injector dripping diesel in overnight, causing it to have an excess in the cylinder when starting in the morning- thus causing the smoke.

AndyMac - are you sure it is blue? If it is blue, get it checked out by Volvo asap (as you already are). This is in no way good on a car this new and could be bad turbo oil seals or, bad valve guide seals or worse, a bad piston ring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.