Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried out my park assist pilot tonight. I engaged the system, drove past a string of cars, actually passed a gap I believed too small. As we progressed past the system advised me a spot had been found and to proceed forward. As the command came to stop, I halted.

I dutifully engaged reverse and slowly started backing up. It is the weirdest sensation sitting a car with your hands in your lap while the wheel turns in front of you. As it maneuvered into the spot, I felt it was going to touch the bumper of the car in front, but I proceeded really slowly. It got into the spot that I would normally have left alone, and ended up no more than 15 cm from the kerb. I activated drive on command, and then stopped when instructed.

The V40 was parked perfectly, equidistant from the front and rear vehicles, and absolutely straight. Really 10/10 for parking.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Wow, would have loved to have seen that. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
How long does it take to 'get it in' so to speak? Lots of to-ing and fro-ing or pretty much back it in then forward and it's done?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 movement in reverse to get in, and 1 forward movement to straighten out. It goes as slow or as fast as you let it. My car being auto is even easier as I just release the brake and it pretty much does it all itself :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cool - I'll look forward to it when mine comes which on another note I had confirmed by the dealer this morning, has arrived and will be delivered to me on the 2nd :D
Happy days!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It really is brilliant, I had it in my demo vehicle.

Had written it off completely as a no need luxury, however on the day I had the demo there was limited parking near my work and a spot that I thought would be a bit too tight...not according to the pilot though, so I did as instructed with the gears and pedals and it was in. Saved me a further 10 minute drive to the next available parking spaces and the walk back to the office.

Amazing and needless to say it was added straight to my order the next day when I placed it :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
To be honest I've only got it as it's part of the xenium pack and I wouldn't have spec'd it otherwise. Dunno how often I'd use it though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest I've only got it as it's part of the xenium pack and I wouldn't have spec'd it otherwise. Dunno how often I'd use it though.
It's on my car purely as part of the Xenium pack as well, however I thought I would give it a go, and now that I know how it works I may well use it again/more often.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
All this systems is nice and good, but in the long run just make us dumb in driving our cars. Same with computers these days, I can hardly write anymore because of all the typing I do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Used it a couple of times and have to agree. The other good one is adaptive cruise control. Works brilliantly, though once again you need to have a little trust - I found myself 'covering' the break. The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether the car would start moving again by itself when it had come to a stop. Didn't want to have the cars behind waiting while I checked.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Used it a couple of times and have to agree. The other good one is adaptive cruise control. Works brilliantly, though once again you need to have a little trust - I found myself 'covering' the break. The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether the car would start moving again by itself when it had come to a stop. Didn't want to have the cars behind waiting while I checked.
It will do - if it's an auto (queue assist), but it will leave more distance than the average human would, which in some countries will result in a lot of hooting from behind.

I used it in the GOLF7 I test drove, worked very well there too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many years ago my parked car was seriously damaged when a passing driver lost control of his car. I now only ever park on the road as a very last resort, so I'm probably never going to try out the park assist pilot.
I tried it out at the local shops. My car parks on my drive at home, but with the houses being so small and the back of my car literally 1 meter from the edge of the road, there is always the possibility of it getting damaged by a passing car going out of control.

Its a quiet cul-de-sac, but recently a demolition-derby mechanic moved in. His visitors all treat every corner like the race track.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.