Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm intrigued by all the posts that report software upgrades being applied to the member's particular vehicle. I can't help but wonder why just certain V40s are deemed to need one of the upgrades mentioned. :s

·
Registered
155 Posts
I guess the dealers/mechanics hope a software update will sort out a problem, much like rebooting your computer when it freezes. ?

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just had a software update for DAB radio and also another for the auto gearbox. Collect the car tomorrow so I will see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
945 Posts
When a car goes in to the main dealer for a fault, the dealer plugs the car in to see if the computer has stored any fault codes (records of any issues it has detected), as part of the check it will check for any upgrades to the software that are available and update them as necessary. A bit like when apple release iOS 7.1.5 etc.

They also do this as part of the standard service work.

I actually found a fault on a software update, the TFT screen it would not display speed in km/h a recall was then sent around for effected cars to go in for the update

·
Registered
395 Posts
Old Croc - can I ask what was the gearbox software upgrade to your V40, I'm having a problem with mine and wondered if a software problem may be causing it
Mine had an intermittent fault when travelling at a static 30 mph for example, the revs would rise to 4k (ie gears changing up) even though the speed remained static. I don't know what this upgrade may have done but I assume it will be a bug-fix for many small niggles. If there were any big issues I am sure there would have been a recall.
When was your last update?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Dennis,

Regarding the early 2013 V40 I have just bought one of these in Ireland. It has just been imported from UK and doesn't have km/h.
Did these recalls definitely happen? I'm in a barney with the dealer who sold me the car. They're not a Volvo dealer.

Nightmare.

thanks very much

Karen

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update

When a car goes in to the main dealer for a fault, the dealer plugs the car in to see if the computer has stored any fault codes (records of any issues it has detected), as part of the check it will check for any upgrades to the software that are available and update them as necessary. A bit like when apple release iOS 7.1.5 etc.

They also do this as part of the standard service work.

I actually found a fault on a software update, the TFT screen it would not display speed in km/h a recall was then sent around for effected cars to go in for the update

Did this recall actually go out?

thanks

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi Dennis,

Regarding the early 2013 V40 I have just bought one of these in Ireland. It has just been imported from UK and doesn't have km/h.
Did these recalls definitely happen? I'm in a barney with the dealer who sold me the car. They're not a Volvo dealer.

Nightmare.

thanks very much

Karen
Hi Karen,

Dennis doesn't post here anymore unfortunately as he sold his V40 a while back.

My Feb 2013-built car also doesn't display the speed in KMH in place of the fuel consumption/miles left in tank display (Active TFT instrument cluster) so I doubt it was actually a proper recall. It's not really an issue for me as it's unlikely my car will leave the UK, but I can see it would be a problem for you iu Ireland.

The original thread on the subject can be found here:
http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/15-engine-technical/2906-speed-km-h.html
It does sound more like a 'update the software if the owner notices' fix rather than an official recall.

Did you know the car was a UK import before you bought it?

If you take the car to a Volvo dealer they may be able to perform a software update on the instrument cluster if the later version that shows the additional KMH display is available. You may also enquire if they can perform the full territory-dependent software update that will change the main display to KMH instead of MPH (the same software configuration a RHD car sold in Ireland would have). I'm not sure if they would be allowed to by Volvo Ireland though (as I suspect one of the reasons they do this is to try and stop grey-market imports) but it would be worth asking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.