Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if I can upgrade my high performance sound to Premium sound by Harman Kardon I have the 7 inch screen and sensus Nav systemso it shouldnt be too much of an issue right?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Major issue.

The HK has a massive speaker that sits in the top of the dashboard for starters.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm contemplating a sound system upgrade as well. I wonder if just a driver change will affect an improvement, or if it's the amp/driver that would be required. I'm also looking at the boot seeing a great spot for a false floor and slimline sub. I'll probably start with the sub and see what it sounds like.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Volvo dealers don't seem to be very helpful when it comes to stuff like this. The ones I've asked just shrug their shoulders.

I would have thought that the centre channel would be a biggy and not worth the effort (of probably a new dash), but surely they should offer an upgrade kit comprising the drivers, amp modules, then the ability to re-flash the a/v system.

Does anyone know if the stock system has some pre-outs to use for a sub amp? And is the stock amp behind the nav system, or under one of the seats?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah its a pain in the arse when you don't get the customer service I'm willing to pay if it can be done as I want the same quality of sound in my car as I have at home

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Volvo dealers don't seem to be very helpful when it comes to stuff like this. The ones I've asked just shrug their shoulders.

I would have thought that the centre channel would be a biggy and not worth the effort (of probably a new dash), but surely they should offer an upgrade kit comprising the drivers, amp modules, then the ability to re-flash the a/v system.

Does anyone know if the stock system has some pre-outs to use for a sub amp? And is the stock amp behind the nav system, or under one of the seats?
I've managed to get hold of the wiring diagram and the 2 audio systems (Performance and Premium) are very different beasts.

The Performance Audio system has the amplifier built into the Integrated Audio Module (IAM) in the centre console (it has the CD drive in it). The IAM is controlled by the Infotainment Control Module (ICM). The ICM accepts inputs from the controls via CANBus, and then talks to the IAM via the MOST bus over an optical link. As far as I can see, there are no analogue low-level outputs on the IAM, only the speaker outputs.

The Premium (HK) system uses a different IAM and a separate amplifier, the Audio Module (AUD), located under one of the front seats. This drives all the speakers including the centre dash speaker. The IAM transmits the selected audio feed to the AUD module digitally over the MOST bus, and there is no low-level analogue ouput from the AUD module either. There is also a massive amount of extra wiring (e.g. it has 3 antenna inputs compared to the 1 for the Performance system) and extra MOST optical fibre links involved, which is probably only practical to fit at the factory before the interior has been fitted.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So on the stock system, this is under the passenger seat. Would this just be the amplifier module, or something else? Ie can I safely ditch this to put my aftermarket amp under the seat? Would be a more convenient location than the boot...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
So on the stock system, this is under the passenger seat. Would this just be the amplifier module, or something else? Ie can I safely ditch this to put my aftermarket amp under the seat? Would be a more convenient location than the boot...
That is the AUD module. It's not just an amplifier, it does the digital to analogue conversion as well. The connectors from right to left are:
1) Power
2) Primary MOST bus (optic fibre)
3) Speaker outputs
4) Secondary MOST bus (unused)

You can't remove it as the IAM only outputs a digital stream which the AUD then converts to an analogue signal and amplifies. The traffic on the MOST bus is packet-based (like ethernet) and as well as sending the packetised audio the IAM also controls the AUD output via control packets over the MOST datalink (i.e. the volume, balance etc).

If you want to fit a sub, you are going to have to tap in to one of the outputs in the third connector and do high-to-low level conversion to a separate amp (or have a sub amp that accepts high-level inputs).

It's a 16-way connector and the pins for the speaker connections are assigned as follows:
1(Grey/Black) & 9(Green/Black) - Left Front
2(Grey) & 10(Green) - Centre Front
3(Yellow/Black) & 11(Violet/Black) - Right Front
4(Grey/Red) & 12(Green/Red) - Left Rear
5(Yellow/Red) & 13(Violet/Red) - Right Rear

I would tap in to one of the front or the centre speaker connections, as if you have got dolby surround enabled I think it applies some delay processing to the rear channels.

·
452 Posts
@buzby

Is it possible to change from Performance to Premium (or High Performance, as it is named here?). I mean, how can someone acquire - buy the needed items - hardaware and install them in the car. Is it easy?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
@buzby

Is it possible to change from Performance to Premium (or High Performance, as it is named here?). I mean, how can someone acquire - buy the needed items - hardaware and install them in the car. Is it easy?
I outlined the differences between the two systems and why it would be very difficult to upgrade in this post earlier in the thread:
http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/16-volvo-v40-modifications/15657-sound-system-upgrade.html#post134897

Volvo probably don't offer it as a dealer-fit option due to the amount of labour required. You would need to completely remove and reinstall the interior (dashboard, headlining, seats, carpets, door cards, boot trim etc) to install the extra antennae, wiring looms and MOST Bus fibre loops, replace the door speakers, replace the IAM module (and probably the ICM module too) and add the AUD module, then replace/modify the dash for the centre speaker before reinstalling the all the interior.

This would be prohibitively expensive to have done at a dealer, which is probably why it's not offered as a retrofit option. If you have a copy of the Volvo parts database you could probably work out thr part codes of all parts required, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the loom sections in particular are not available as spares.

If you bought a written-off V40 that had the Premium system fitted you could probably work out all the parts you would need and transfer them over you your car yourself, but the IAM and ICM (and possibly the AUD too) are coded to the car's VIN (the CEM checks all the modules against' it's stored VIN when the ignition is turned on) and so would need to be recoded to match the CEM using the VIDA terminal at a dealer.

You would then run into Volvo's build configuration management logic that stops the dealer applying downloads to optional parts the car was not originally built with - if it wasn't built with Premium Audio, then Volvo's server won't allow downloads for any of the components as it's not an option that can be retrofitted.

Part of the VIDA logon process with Volvo's server is to send the car's VIN (which it reads from the CEM), which the server then uses to call up the current build state of the car from it's database. When a dealer-fit accessory is fitted and the software downloaded to enable it, the server updates it's build state to record this. If you try to enable something that's not offered as a dealer fit accessory, the server won't allow it, and will stop the file being downloaded.

I have a similar problem with DAB on my car. MY13 cars were not fitted with DAB as standard, but you could add it as an option or for slightly less money you could specify the 'DAB Prep' option that fitted all the components apart from the DAB Module (which is available as a dealer-fit accessory). My car had neither option specified, so it was built with the lower-spec looms without the required wiring or connectors. I could try and get hold of all the extra parts and loom sections and take the car to pieces to fit them, but the DAB module needs a software download to enable it and the server would probably block this because the car was not originally built with either of the DAB options..

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think I love you Buzby, thank you :)

I'm confident I can get a better outcome for the same upgrade cost of the factory stereo upgrade. The mains are 6.5" splits in a nice enclosure which appears to be sealed. The tweeters simply clip out making aftermarket installation an easy proposition. I'm planning to have a removable sub enclosure for the boot. One will be a small 8" sealed sub if I need boot space, then the other a larger 10" (seeing as I have both sub drivers here from previous installs so may as well try both).

I'll do the driver change first and report back - but thinking this could be a significant upgrade as it is (for all of $560AUD using Alpine DDLinear component 6.5" systems).

Ray - I'll document the install in a different thread should you want to attempt some things. Door panels are 2 screws and they're off. Just a driver change would be a 2hr ordeal if you wanted which is good.

·
452 Posts
I outlined the differences between the two systems and why it would be very difficult to upgrade in this post earlier in the thread:
http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/16-volvo-v40-modifications/15657-sound-system-upgrade.html#post134897

Volvo probably don't offer it as a dealer-fit option due to the amount of labour required. You would need to completely remove and reinstall the interior (dashboard, headlining, seats, carpets, door cards, boot trim etc) to install the extra antennae, wiring looms and MOST Bus fibre loops, replace the door speakers, replace the IAM module (and probably the ICM module too) and add the AUD module, then replace/modify the dash for the centre speaker before reinstalling the all the interior.

This would be prohibitively expensive to have done at a dealer, which is probably why it's not offered as a retrofit option. If you have a copy of the Volvo parts database you could probably work out thr part codes of all parts required, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the loom sections in particular are not available as spares.

If you bought a written-off V40 that had the Premium system fitted you could probably work out all the parts you would need and transfer them over you your car yourself, but the IAM and ICM (and possibly the AUD too) are coded to the car's VIN (the CEM checks all the modules against' it's stored VIN when the ignition is turned on) and so would need to be recoded to match the CEM using the VIDA terminal at a dealer.

You would then run into Volvo's build configuration management logic that stops the dealer applying downloads to optional parts the car was not originally built with - if it wasn't built with Premium Audio, then Volvo's server won't allow downloads for any of the components as it's not an option that can be retrofitted.

Part of the VIDA logon process with Volvo's server is to send the car's VIN (which it reads from the CEM), which the server then uses to call up the current build state of the car from it's database. When a dealer-fit accessory is fitted and the software downloaded to enable it, the server updates it's build state to record this. If you try to enable something that's not offered as a dealer fit accessory, the server won't allow it, and will stop the file being downloaded.

I have a similar problem with DAB on my car. MY13 cars were not fitted with DAB as standard, but you could add it as an option or for slightly less money you could specify the 'DAB Prep' option that fitted all the components apart from the DAB Module (which is available as a dealer-fit accessory). My car had neither option specified, so it was built with the lower-spec looms without the required wiring or connectors. I could try and get hold of all the extra parts and loom sections and take the car to pieces to fit them, but the DAB module needs a software download to enable it and the server would probably block this because the car was not originally built with either of the DAB options..
Thank you very much buzby. Now it's all clear. I have tried many times to convince my dealer to help me with the upgrade, and the person responsible (with who I have established a friendly relationship) refused on vague reasons, which I now understand. The only person to say that the upgrade was possible was a V40 owner from Slovenia or Croatia, who send me a list of (all, according to him) the required components, but his message ended with the phrase "finally, you have to convince your dealer to download to the car the required VIDA software". As I know understand, this is not possible, even if all other procedures and installations (a heavy burden, both in terms of money and work) are succesfully finalized. Thank you once more.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Carpeting done, and wired my Furutech XLR jack ready to install with 12AWG Furutech wire.

Attachments

·
452 Posts
Without being an expert, I think the answer is YES. It has been done in my car. Otherwise, if the final scope is getting rear speakers, you can connect them in parallel to the front ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "buzby, viestit: 135145, jäsen: 20146"]
Katso AUD-moduuleista. Se ei ole tyhjä vahvistin, se muuntaa digitaalisen analogisen. Liittimet oikealta vähmalle ovat:
1) Virta
2) Ensisijainen MOST-väylä (valokuitu)
3) Kaiutinlähdöt
4) Toissijainen MOST-väylä (käyttämätön)

Jos et halua, että IAM tuottaa turhaan digitaalisen virran, AUD voi muuntaa analogisen signaalin ja vahvistaa. MOST-väylän liikenne pakettipohjaista (kuten ethernet) ja pakettiäänen lähettämisen kautta IAM ohjaa myös AUD-lähtöä MOST-datalinkin ohjauspakettien kautta (ts. Äänenvoimakkuus, tasapaino jne.).

Jos haluat sovittaa alaosaan, joudut taputtamaan jonkin kolmannen liittimen ulostuloista ja tekemään korkeasta matalaan muuntamisen erilliseen vahvistimeksi (tai jos alalahvistiin, joka hyväksyy korkeimman tason-tulonin).

Katso 16-suuntainen liitin ja kaiutinliitäntöjen nastat osoitetaan seuraavasti:
1 (harmaa / musta) & 9 (vihreä / musta) - vasen etu
2 (harmaa) ja 10 (vihreä) - keskellä edessä
3 (keltainen / musta) ja 11 (violetti / musta) - oikea etu
4 (harmaa / punainen) ja 12 (vihreä / punainen) - vasen takaosa
5 (keltainen / punainen) ja 13 (violetti / punainen) - oikea takaosa

Napautan jonkin etu- tai keskikaiutinliitäntöistä, kuin jos sitä voidaan käyttää dolby-surround-yhteyden kautta, mielestäni se soveltuu jonkin verran viiveprosessointia takakanaviin.
[/ LAINATA]
kunnossa
[QUOTE = "buzby, viesti: 135145, jäsen: 20146"]
Se on AUD-moduuli. Se ei ole vain vahvistin, se myös muuntaa digitaalisen analogiseksi. Liittimet oikealta vasemmalle ovat:
1) Virta
2) Ensisijainen MOST-väylä (valokuitu)
3) Kaiutinlähdöt
4) Toissijainen MOST-väylä (käyttämätön)

Et voi poistaa sitä, koska IAM tuottaa vain digitaalisen virran, jonka AUD muuntaa sitten analogiseksi signaaliksi ja vahvistaa. MOST-väylän liikenne on pakettipohjaista (kuten ethernet) ja pakettiäänen lähettämisen lisäksi IAM ohjaa myös AUD-lähtöä MOST-datalinkin ohjauspakettien kautta (ts. Äänenvoimakkuus, tasapaino jne.).

Jos haluat sovittaa alaosaan, joudut taputtamaan jonkin kolmannen liittimen ulostuloista ja tekemään korkeasta matalaan muuntaminen erilliseksi vahvistimeksi (tai jos sinulla on alavahvistin, joka hyväksyy korkean tason tulot) ).

Se on 16-suuntainen liitin ja kaiutinliitäntöjen nastat osoitetaan seuraavasti:
1 (harmaa / musta) & 9 (vihreä / musta) - vasen etu
2 (harmaa) ja 10 (vihreä) - keskellä edessä
3 (keltainen / musta) ja 11 (violetti / musta) - oikea etu
4 (harmaa / punainen) ja 12 (vihreä / punainen) - vasen takaosa
5 (keltainen / punainen) ja 13 (violetti / punainen) - oikea takaosa

Napautan jonkin etu- tai keskikaiutinliitäntöistä, kuin jos sinulla on dolby-surround-yhteys käytössä, mielestäni se soveltaa jonkin verran viiveprosessointia takakanaviin.
[/LAINATA]
Hei. 1 harmaa / musta .. onko harmaa + ja musta -signaali?
and 3. Yellow + and black - signal?
That is the AUD module. It's not just an amplifier, it does the digital to analogue conversion as well. The connectors from right to left are:
1) Power
3) Speaker outputs

You can't remove it as the IAM only outputs a digital stream which the AUD then converts to an analogue signal and amplifies. The traffic on the MOST bus is packet-based (like ethernet) and as well as sending the packetised audio the IAM also controls the AUD output via control packets over the MOST datalink (i.e. the volume, balance etc).

If you want to fit a sub, you are going to have to tap in to one of the outputs in the third connector and do high-to-low level conversion to a separate amp (or have a sub amp that accepts high-level inputs).

It's a 16-way connector and the pins for the speaker connections are assigned as follows:
& 9(Green/Black) - Left Front

I would tap in to one of the front or the centre speaker connections, as if you have got dolby surround enabled I think it applies some delay processing to the rear channels.
Hey,
1) Power
3) Speaker outputs

1(Grey/Black) & 9(Green/Black) - Left Front

Hey!
Is the 1. Speaker grey+ and black- signal?
And is the 3. Speaker yellow+ and black- signal?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey,

Hey!
Is the 1. Speaker grey+ and black- signal?
And is the 3. Speaker yellow+ and black- signal?
Hi Rik not sure what you are asking?

Most Subs will have 4 wires (a left and right wire and each of those is carried on 2 wires).

So you will connect one from the Left to the number 1(Grey/Black) & then one to the 9(Green/Black)

Do the same on the 3(Yellow/Black) & 11(Violet/Black)

For the Signal wire/remote to turn the Amp/Sub on that isnt taken from the amp, you need to find somewhere to do this from a source that isnt permanent on, a lot of people do this from the 12v charging ports in the centre console however the lead it SHORT so I found it a problem to splice onto there and didnt want to take the console out.

I was installing a hardwire dashcam kit at the same time so I went off the fuse 85under the glovebox, I had a piggyback connection for the Dashcam so I connected into the same connector on this kit, however you can get one of these very cheap, just google "fuse piggyback kit" this way you arent splicing into another wire in the cabin :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts