Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to spec out my new V40 and I'm looking at the following:

R-design Lux D3 in Rebel Blue with winter pack, rear parking sensors, tinted rear windows & 5 years servicing.

I'm slightly concerned I should be having the sat nav but as a £1200 option I'm struggling to justify it! Any thoughts on my spec or the addition of sat nav, are there any benefits I hadn't thought of?

Also can anyone tell me how the iPod connection works, what do you get on the screen?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Iphone/Ipod with bluetooth connection shows songname, artist/album.

Ipod through USB shows jack **** :p

·
Registered
718 Posts
I couldn't justify the cost of inbuilt satnav. It rather depends how much you use it. I only use my Garmin occasionally, so I am content to have the cable draped over the bulkhead. Another advantage of my Garmin, apart from the far less cost, is that I have regular, free updates for the life of the unit. I think there are limited updates for the inbuilt one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ditto on the satnav, I could buy a new shiny one every year for 12 years for the price of the built-in version :)

Updates - 2 included I think then you need to pay for subsequent ones.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh, and push them on the servicing price - we initially got offered the 3yr pack FOC, though when we went in to place the order the salesman had forgotten, but still said we could have it - he then offered us the 5yr pack for the price difference of £200 so we went for it. 5 years of servicing for £200 is a bargain!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks, I think you are right about the sat nav! And cheers for the advice on servicing, my quote includes 5yrs FOC worth quite a lot over the years!

·
Registered
196 Posts
FOC is good :) Any other discounts? We got 7.5% off the full price of the car and options, seemingly this is 'standard' but never sure on that comment :)

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FOC is good :) Any other discounts? We got 7.5% off the full price of the car and options, seemingly this is 'standard' but never sure on that comment :)
Hi, thanks for that, not ordered yet was first quote from dealer so no real discount applied and they were very pushy that I had to sign on the dotted line straight away! What car did you get and from which dealer? Also the price they offered for my car as trade in was no better than webuyanycar.com. Any advice, how did you get your discount?

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Iphone/Ipod with bluetooth connection shows songname, artist/album.

Ipod through USB shows jack **** :p
Strange? Because on mine using either Bluetooth or USB (but choosing iPod on media menu) both show Artist, Album, Song info. Only issue I've had on USB is the odd time a song will not start playing?? Just disconnect and reconnect sorts it.

On the original topic, I wouldn't and indeed didnt go for the SATNAV option, far too expensive! Tinted rears look great on the Rebel Blue RDesign, I ordered tinted rears and park assist pilot, although I only wanted front and rear sensors really, just added PAP as a toy, but to be honest, I've never used it..... Sensors yes, all the time, but couldn't recommend PAP.

D.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm trying to spec out my new V40 and I'm looking at the following:

............ tinted rear windows ............

I'm slightly concerned I should be having the sat nav but as a £1200 option I'm struggling to justify it!
Options are totally a personal choice. Tinted rear windows are purely aesthetic, and as such are something I wouldn't pay extra for. Similarly I wouldn't pay extra for metallic paint or for anything else which had no useful function. Satnav is functional, and is therefore something I would be prepared to pay for. I'd sooner pay £1200 for satnav, than £850 for tinted rear windows and metallic paint.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For us, with two kids, tinted rear windows are nothing to do with aesthetics, they are to reduce sun glare and brightness, personally I prefer to not have them since the front side windows cannot be tinted to the same level - and aesthetically I don't like that :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi, thanks for that, not ordered yet was first quote from dealer so no real discount applied and they were very pushy that I had to sign on the dotted line straight away! What car did you get and from which dealer? Also the price they offered for my car as trade in was no better than webuyanycar.com. Any advice, how did you get your discount?

Cheers!
I'll be honest, the discount was offered within minutes of first talking to the salesman, we didn't ask for it :)

Ours is from Lloyds Volvo in Carlisle, Cumbria (UK). Trade-in was as we expected for the car we are looking to trade in. Not tried WeBuyAnyCar, worth a check I guess!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok cheers, well now thinking of using drivethedeal.com offered a discount of £3500 from list price but a bit nervous because of trade in and buying of the Internet. Anyone had any experience with brokers?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went for the satnav. It did take me a while to decide, as it is very very expensive, but the thing that swung it for me was that the satnav also included voice control - and after having that on my current car I really wanted to keep it - it's far better and safer then pressing buttons.
I also really liked the idea of the dvd player. I'm not quite sure how often I'd be able to use it, I can only think of a few times when I'd be sitting in the car and not driving, but I bet I'd find opportunities!
Aesthetically, I also thought that the larger screen of the satnav model did look better.

You get 2 free map updates (one a year), but I can't find out the costs after that, the prices aren't online on their website yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd maybe take that price to your dealer and see what they can do :)
Result, I sent the quote to the dealer jut had a call from them they have beaten it!! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ordered!!! D3 R-design Lux Rebel blue with winter pack, 18" ixio II wheels, rear parking sensors and tinted windows, and all at the drivethedeal.com price from the local dealer, I can't wait!! Cheers for all the help in choosing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts