Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to place an order on a v40 this weekend but I'm currently like a child in a sweet shop and I really can't decide what options to pick!

So far, I know I want D3, Cruise Control, TFT Screen, Winter Pack (+ Rain Sensor).

Beyond this is becomes a bit trickier, as I'm working to a budget and I'm near the top of it!

Due to the different standard options on the trim levels, I can either get a R-Design or a SE Nav. I do like how the R-Design looks (especially those alloys and nicer interior) but the techy in me would really like the Nav system with the 7" screen and voice control.

Is the Nav worth it and how good is the voice activation (£1200 is rather pricey)?

Can I control my Bluetooth phone with voice too if I get a Nav (e.g. Say 'Call Mum') and does it read incoming text messages?

Also, I haven't been in a SE, how is the interior in comparison to the R-Design?

I'd appreciate any help at all in deciding, and if you have any other recommendations, please let me know!

·
Registered
196 Posts
We went for things we'd use 99% of the time - as such, £1200 for satnav was pointless, we could buy a handful of better aftermarket units over the time we own the car! I've a feeling seats are the same shape on all models, it's the fabric/leather trimming on the seats which differs. R-Design has the flat screen dials by default, other models may have the standard physical dials. Beyond that, there are a few extra badges inside the R-Design, a different steering wheel and a slightly differently finished centre console if memory serves.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi - I think one of your first questions is whether you want the Lux spec in either variant or not - This gives you LED DRL's, 17 inch alloys (in the case of the SE), full leather and bendy active xenon lights and headlight washing as standard.
Then you can choose NAV and other options after. Lux spec does add to the base price significantly tought

·
Registered
718 Posts
I avoided the Nav option, far too expensive for the little use I have for Satnav. I have a separtate Garmin with lifetime update. Works fine, although I have to tolerate the cable. But I have managed to tidy that awy to some extent. Nor did I bother with the TFT screen. I find the Analogue one adequate, nor am I likely to want to change the screen that often. So I have a virtually standard SE Lux.
Spec your basic car i.e colour and trim, then add those options you can justify.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can I control my Bluetooth phone with voice too if I get a Nav (e.g. Say 'Call Mum') and does it read incoming text messages?
Yes it does Voice Dial. Nowhere have I been able to find the answer to if it can read the messages :(

Also, I haven't been in a SE, how is the interior in comparison to the R-Design?
The seats are slightly different, I prefer the R-Design seats. Both are very comfortable, the R-D seems to have better side bolstering.

So far, I know I want D3, Cruise Control, TFT Screen, Winter Pack (+ Rain Sensor).
Nice, Essential , Very Nice , Essential (in my opinion ;) )

Due to the different standard options on the trim levels, I can either get a R-Design or a SE Nav. I do like how the R-Design looks (especially those alloys and nicer interior) but the techy in me would really like the Nav system with the 7" screen and voice control.

Is the Nav worth it and how good is the voice activation (£1200 is rather pricey)?

The amount of time you use the NAV, I would prefer to have the permanent looks. Get a Garmin for £100-00. Also the 7inch screen is very nice, and can be had as an option for £400. Look into that (comes with a DVD player instead of CD-Player)

·
Registered
191 Posts

Hmm…before having built-in Nav I would have said no, not worth it. Having it on our (ex demo) SE Lux NAV has changed my view a bit; it's really convenient not having to mess with screen holders, chargers, cables and you no longer have to carry the thing about when you're not in the car. The navigation system itself is pretty good; you can view two different map views simultaneously and the system can 'learn' your preferred routes. It has traffic updates (TMC) and you can install custom POIs via USB. I think the voice activation is a bit of a gimmick; it works but it's often quicker to use the standard menus.

·
Registered
945 Posts
TFT, I would not bother unless it was standard (I have it on my RD and it is always set to the normal speedo so a physical dial would have worked just as well I am sure)

RD or SE, the looks of the RD do it for me, I even enhanced it with the extended spoiler.
The SE does not suite my style (I am a boy racer at heart so like the lean towards a hot hatch styling)

I have nav and I have to say it works well, you can easily bulk upload POI's including speed cameras, it also uses full postcodes. The traffic info also has saved me a few hour in traffic, even stopped me from missing my plane on holiday when the route I was going to take was closed.
Is it worth £1200 yes as long as you can afford it and still get all the other options you want, but if it were me it was a choice of lux over nav I would go for lux first for the HID's, leather etc.

The phone does have voice operation but I have not really set it up, I prefer the speed dial you can do. I do not think it will read your text messages though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback and ideas, lots of different opinions in here. Gives me plenty to mull over tomorrow before I head to the dealer on Saturday.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the Nav and have been pretty impressed so far.....The voice integration with the audio system is good and as already mentioned the traffic info is very useful.

I didn't bother with the TFT either.....Too gimmicky for me and the standard speedo with the info screen in the centre looks good and works well in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts