Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving a LHD car in the UK with the speedo in km/h, I was really happy when I read in the manual I could have the speed in mph on the TFT display (according to the manual, the speed measured in units different than the main display should appear in the little box where average speed and range are displayed by rotating the wheel on the left stalk). However, it never worked for me - range and average speed are there, but no mph.

After a month and a half, my Volvo dealer finally came back to me. They say the software can be updated to show the speed in mph in the little box, for little less than 50 pounds. Now, I think it's not too much to pay to drive with a little less hassle (I'm fairly used to recalculate speed automatically, but still).

However, the manual doesn't say this is an additional option - somehow I understood it should have been there all along and I shouldn't have to pay.

Can anybody confirm they have it on their cars already? It should work both for UK cars (main speedo in mph, the small one in km/h) and European speed (main speedo in km/h, the small one in mph).

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam

·
Registered
202 Posts
I too have a km/h display available. Having to pay extra doesn't sound right. I think you may have to remind your dealer of the service promise.
The only reason I can think of them trying to charge is you perhaps due to your car not being UK spec.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I too have a km/h display available. Having to pay extra doesn't sound right. I think you may have to remind your dealer of the service promise.
The only reason I can think of them trying to charge is you perhaps due to your car not being UK spec.
My UK spec MY2014 has the km/h display on one of the displays when you cycle through. Actually find it strange that they can't find a spot for it to be permanently displayed like most other cars do when they have digital displays of sorts.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I sort of agree with @cueba11's answer in that it's not a UK sourced car.

That said, my car was a 13th March delivery and it wasn't until they did the first annual service in late June that they did a software upgrade and hey presto, another option appeared on the stalk rocker and my speed showed in kph...until then I was wondering where on earth it was!

I would say that it's a factory issue and the UK dealer should do it gratis as part of the warranty...the car's all come from the same place after all!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for your answers, I appreciate it. Would also love to hear from someone with EU spec car - I remember a couple of forum members were from the Netherlands and Greece, are you there?

In the meantime, I will definitely talk to the dealer and try to get it treated as warranty claim. After all, if there was part of the car missing, they would replace it, there's no reason to treat software differently.

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a March 2013 Swedish registered V40 w/TFT and it's lacking the MPH option too, when I get to the dealer to sort my paint problem I'll ask about getting a software update. I'm on the monthly Volvo service plan so I can't see that they would refuse or say no to it, even when it's not due for a service yet.

Incidentally I drove over to the UK in a friend's October 2013 V40 without TFT and there was no MPH option there either...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have the analogue display. The main dial is mph and I can select mph, kph, or no display in the numeric digits in the centre of the dial. My car is now 1 year old

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello from Spain, this is my first visit post, I too am having trouble with finding mph, I can get all my averages to come up in miles including the trip but can't get the speed in mph! I am used to driving a lhd in uk in only Km's but would be nice to have mph available.
I have v40 r design d2 in red with panoramic roof, had it for 2 weeks now looks gorgeous, just need more time to play. I have worked out from all other discussions that it's a my13, brought the model out of the showroom which I had looked at since may!
Am guessing that a software update is the way to go to solve speedo issues.
It wasn't standard to have mph on the speedo in Europe as I discovered when I bought first lhd xc70 in 2005.
Look forward to somebody getting the final answer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for chipping in. I contacted my dealer and told them I thought it should be treated as a warranty claim. They said they would contact the factory once again and get back to me.

---------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the analogue display. The main dial is mph and I can select mph, kph, or no display in the numeric digits in the centre of the dial. My car is now 1 year old
Can you tell me how please. I also have an analogue display and found a second menu for the centre dial but I've only managed to find it the once.:confused:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Volvo did a little update to their software at the begining of 2013 and they fogot to put the 2nd speed measurement (km/h on UK cars) on the TFT display, I had a real barney with Volvo UK and as a result all effected UK cars should have been/be getting recalled by the local dealer to update this free of charge.

It sounds like the same issue over in europe, don't pay for it!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for this, I'll press my dealer once again, haven't heard from them in the meantime.

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
273 Posts
@denn1s @Belisarius...whilst I laughed this off in my original thread some months ago, it's amazing the odd "little" thing that gets forgotten about in the various stages of software! I almost wonder sometimes if Volvo were so desperate to get this car ahead of the new Mercedes A Classe that one or two things were aloud to slip such...probably worth a separate thread but it strikes me (as an earlyish lover of this car) that the bumper pain application and a few software issues have caused a few headaches. That said, i'd order the same in two years! Darren

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.