Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had a chance to spend some time getting to know my v40. 3825 km to be exact Spain to uk and back again. This is going to cover a few things that are in different threads, sorry!
I found my r design to be very comfortable on a long trip, no shoulder pain like I get in the xc70, the seats are good even though they are manual. My only surprise was not being able to fidget as you are stuck to the nubuck/suede of the r design seats! The windows are higher, it was tricky to get to some of those ticket machines without doing a mischief! My husband who did the return leg in the passenger seat complained that he couldn't get his feet flat on the floor. Other than that inside was great, with no rattles or squeaks.
Obviously I haven't been driving like a nun, my fuel consumption on the return leg was a poor 44.99mpg, but I did enjoy myself. The car handled really well in the atrocious weather of the weekend, driving into a strong head wind seemed like hard work, but didn't feel blown across the road with side winds and lorries. Did get a bit of wind whistle when driving fast, sounded like a very faint extra radio station, easy to ignore.
As I put in another thread there was no road noise until I reached the uk motorways, it's got to be the Tarmac. I have pirelli's.
I didn't see a single v40 in France either way and only spotted 3 during my travels around the uk, you must have all been on holiday!
I was surprised at how dirty my bum..per got, is it because there are no mud flaps?
The annual uk shop all fitted in, I was a bit concerned baring in mind that I can fill an xc70, but it was not a problem.
All in all I love my v40, the red r design certainly turns heads in car parks and is a great drive even with the 1.6 engine there is enough get up and go to cover those French motorways.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You're correct regarding the road surfaces Jobi. If we could stay on Motorways all the time every car in Britain would be quieter and use less fuel I imagine. I'm looking forward to an anti-grav device that floats the car over the pot-holes!

The mucky rump is a feature of many cars with a flat or flat-ish back I'm afraid. I seem to have had a run of these designs and it happens all the time. The air is trapped in a vortex after sliding passed the smooth aero-dynamic styling and this causes a drag effect that allows dirt to be dragged towards the vehicle. If you ride a bike you may have felt the effect as cars go by and you can get dragged along. We used to slip-stream buses on the way to school. Dangerous but fun.

Only car I had that didn't seem to get dirty was an FTO. Once described to me has having "Council House Chic" but I loved it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Jobi
Re mud flaps.
I bought my V40 in November 2012, and so spent the winter cursing the mucky, but shapely, rear end. I fitted Volvo rear mud flap a couple of months ago, and so far can say that, although the situation is now MUCH better, they do not completely eliminate the problem. They are relatively small and imho, do not detract too much from the lovely design.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
@Brigstowe Mind posting some pics of how the mudflaps look on the car, only seen the close up pics from Volvo itself, and doesn't give you good indication of they looks on the car

·
Registered
159 Posts
VoodooBOB
I will try to find some time over the next few days to post some pics. Ive just got the rear ones, but they do make a difference. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Cool, thanks. I don't really care how clean it keeps the car, i want to see how it changes the look of the car, when you stand behind the car, it looks like something is missing, as the bumper comes in very round.

I want to see if the mudflaps gives the car a bit of a fat ass look

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would be interested in seeing an image of the mud flaps too.

My V40 has only been washed 3 times in 14 months. I must be lucky, it's surprisingly clean.
Kev, at the speeds you must be doing to get the fuel consumption you get I would imagine that you dont even cause a spash through the puddles.....:angel:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That explains why mine is so mucky,after being in the uk and the fuel consumption is rubbish, it's the speed you hit the puddles. Looking forward to seeing pics of mudflaps, although in sunny Spain may not be necessary. I have washed more than 3 times in just over 3 months, kev you must be a mucky pup at this time of year!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Mudflap pics? :)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Can you paint them? Wont the paint crack on that plastic?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Still no pics? "crying":)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I went into volvo and asked about mud flaps for my rdesign but was told you cant fit mud flaps to an rdesign due to the sills and bumper shape, without risking the flaps rubbing off paint
What!! Can;t believe that, I know for a fact that if you have the extra styling kit on your car, then you can't have the mudflaps on, as both pices screw into the bumper on the inside. Therefor you can only have the one or the other. The R-design bumper is exactly the same as the normal ones, except for the centre middle piece. I wanted to change the centre middle piece on mine to the R-design, and just deciced to have it sprayed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.