Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My third brake light is not working however the other two brake lights are working fine. Has anyone had this issue before and managed to resolve it? I'm assuming it's the led which has gone but I could be wrong and maybe it is something else. Any pointers will be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whereabouts are you ?? Don’t know what the issue is but I have a spare spoiler with working brake light you could try if you are local to me ???
Hi mate, I'm down in Somerset, near to Midsomer Norton. I don't suppose you live anywhere near here by any remote chance do you? 😅 Cheers

·
Registered
474 Posts
It would be very unusual for the entire lamp to fail, as it consists of several LEDs and normally they fail individually, so that the lamp still partially illuminates.

I'm not at home ATM, so don't have access to my car handbook or other files, but check whether the third stop lamp is fused separately.

Otherwise, some old fashioned fault tracing may be called for. Disconnect the lamp and use a multimeter. Have you got voltage at the cable end when the brake pedal is depressed? If you supply current to the lamp from a test cable, does it work, etc?

Some diagnostic tools with actuation programming can short cut the testing. E.g. they will activate each stop lamp on command and allow you to test them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be very unusual for the entire lamp to fail, as it consists of several LEDs and normally they fail individually, so that the lamp still partially illuminates.

I'm not at home ATM, so don't have access to my car handbook or other files, but check whether the third stop lamp is fused separately.

Otherwise, some old fashioned fault tracing may be called for. Disconnect the lamp and use a multimeter. Have you got voltage at the cable end when the brake pedal is depressed? If you supply current to the lamp from a test cable, does it work, etc?

Some diagnostic tools with actuation programming can short cut the testing. E.g. they will activate each stop lamp on command and allow you to test them.
Thanks, that's a good point re the LEDs usually failing individually. I'll do some testing as suggested - I have a feeling there isn't a separate fuse for this light but will double check. The only question now is how to actually remove the light fitting from the spoiler. I wonder if the whole spoiler will need to be removed.. If you or anyone else has any advice w around this it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks, that's a good point re the LEDs usually failing individually. I'll do some testing as suggested - I have a feeling there isn't a separate fuse for this light but will double check. The only question now is how to actually remove the light fitting from the spoiler. I wonder if the whole spoiler will need to be removed.. If you or anyone else has any advice w around this it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
As I say, I'm away from home (and the car) but I suspect it is a case of having to remove the spoiler. It will undoubtedly be secured from inside the rear hatch, so probably a case of removing the window surround or upper trim to access the fixings. Plastic trim removal tools are useful for that, although with care and placing masking tape and/or card in appropriate places around the trim edges, it should be possible to prize it off without leaving any marks. If there are any caps over screw heads or similar, they should be obvious, otherwise its usually a case of prizing the panel off of its retaining clips and snapping them back in on replacement.

Someone who has previously removed the spoiler may know better then me though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I say, I'm away from home (and the car) but I suspect it is a case of having to remove the spoiler. It will undoubtedly be secured from inside the rear hatch, so probably a case of removing the window surround or upper trim to access the fixings. Plastic trim removal tools are useful for that, although with care and placing masking tape and/or card in appropriate places around the trim edges, it should be possible to prize it off without leaving any marks. If there are any caps over screw heads or similar, they should be obvious, otherwise its usually a case of prizing the panel off of its retaining clips and snapping them back in on replacement.

Someone who has previously removed the spoiler may know better then me though!
Thank you very much - I appreciate your help. I'm going to give it a go this weekend so hopefully should be able to figure out what's going on. Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts