Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well with the internet at ones finger tips I couldn't help googling reviews of the lovely v40, after I had out my deposit down.

I ended up here, and I wasn't planning to post but felt I should given my experience as others posts have been very helpful to me.

I didn't specify the lowered chassis but as it is standard on the D2 I had no option...

I had driven a xc so totally the opposite! And there were no D2 v40s at my dealership. But had a good enough feel of the engine and as I was upgrading from a 14 yo S40 so there could only be significant improvement!

I was curious to see what people thought of this chassis so read numerous reviews and was bitterly disappointed to read reviews from major indust press who stated;

Crashy ride
Not good on britains roads
Too tough
Go for the standard chassis

What!? Having had the car 3 days I can honestly say its none of the above, yes it is firm but there is no drift, you feel very solid on the road, and the seats certainly provide enough comfort so that it is not back braking (like one review said!).

If anyone is in any doubt, then I would go for it, and embrace it, drive it like you are supposed to. Not like you are constantly looking for a spare space in Tesco. I feel the industry press is giving this chassis a really bad review.

I really enjoy mine and it is surviving some interesting condition country roads no problem.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have the sport suspension on my T3, and after a 2 or 3 weeks you will change your opinion, because then you are settled and use to the car. Very noisy. After you drive another car for a few days and you get back in the Volvo, everything is nice and solid, then after a few days you start hearing all the noises again.

But I have accepted that the sport suspension will make a bit more noise. Otherwise, car is nice

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a March 2013 D2 R-Design which has the Standard Dynamic rather than current Sport Suspension. I am surprised by this move from Volvo as I still have a copy of a three page road test feature that appeared in the "Autocar" magazine around late November 2012. They even went to the trouble of bringing over Volvo technicians and they unanimously agreed that on Britain's road, the larger wheels and sport suspension should be avoided ie stick with the standard 18(?) wheels and dynamic chassis. When I come to replace my car in March 2016 I would consider upgrading to the D3 engine to avoid the Sport chassis or at least have a jolly good test drive in it. An interesting post...I guess we'll see how things evolve. Darren

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.