Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody any views on whether this is worth an extra €500 euro does it make much difference to handling and comfort cant really see myself needing it so planning on leaving it off spec unless someone can give me a valid reason for getting it had a spin in one without sports chassis and seemed like it had good handling

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm no Lewis Hamilton! I find the standard car taut enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You would be better trying the standard car and always fit lowering springs at a later date if needs be. Would still be cheaper than buying the car with sports suspension from volvo.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Except lowered springs are usually stiffer and the shocks from a non-lowered car can leave you with a less than ideal match of comfort/handling...just a thought :)

Sports Pack is a better deal if you want the window tints etc. too...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys ya think I will give it a miss sports pack not available here and 540 for just the suspension !! A lot of my driving will be in towns or motorway so cant really see much value in sports suspension. Think I could find some better spec to spend the money on. Climate control not standard here either which is strange as nearly all cars have that now as standard. standard option here is temperature control so may go for that, also toying with upgrade of the sound system from performance cd to performance dvd but cant find info on what the real difference is between them except playing dvd's,

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would be surprised anyhow if Volvo fit completely different shocks for the sake of a 10-15mm drop or whatever it is, the standard shocks would be me than capable of coping with a slightly less ride height.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have the sport pack on my T3, with the 225/R18/40 Midar on, and the ride is not that hard. Haven't driven one yet with the normal suspension, so not to sure how it feels. Had a big S80 as loan car for a few days, and the suspension was so soft, when I go over speed bumps, the car hits at the bottom. My T3 on the same bumps certainly doesn't feel like a jumping castle.

I prefer a nice sporty suspension, and had the privilege to drive a V40 T5 R yesterday, now that is nice, and the suspension is apparently even harder than the normal sport pack one. I must admit, I liked it more than mine. Both mine and the T5 R has adjustable power steering, so you can decide how much of the road you want to feel. Also, it is only 10mm lower.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have it on my R-d D4 an it is firm but not harsh, how I like it, there again i also have a focus ST and lotus elise so may put up with more bangs and a harsher ride than most. the problem is it still sits too hight, needs lowering yet further to look sporty the gap between the rear arch and tyre is huge.

The adjustable steering in the sports pack is good though you only ever adjust it once it makes the steering nice and taut

·
Registered
196 Posts
Funny, I was thinking that the adjustable steering was one thing I'd actually like now we have the car - the steering is good, but very light and a little lacking on the feedback dept. compared to my own car.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am referring to the user selective steering force settings available via the 'my car' settings rather than the standard, speed sensitive power steering.

I have mine set to high as in 'heavy' steering and it give reasonable feedback, not sure if you could order it separately if not on part of the sports pack

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am referring to the user selective steering force settings available via the 'my car' settings rather than the standard, speed sensitive power steering.

I have mine set to high as in 'heavy' steering and it give reasonable feedback, not sure if you could order it separately if not on part of the sports pack
Yeah I think nry is talking about the same thing as we have discussed previously that the MY14 D2 R-Designs can't be ordered with the sports pack any longer now that the lowered chassis is standard on them. I've ordered both the steering and rear window tints options separately to get the equivalent spec.
On a separate note you have answered something I was wondering, if the high setting gave high assistance(low effort). You saved me the experimentation as i think I'll choose the high(heavy) option same as you prefer.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have to say when mine turned up it went back to the stealers to check it had the right springs as it still sits too high, the front is ok but the back is way too high for my liking.

The steelers did check and I I have since done a 'finger' check and indeed it is a few mm lower than the standard 'off road' esq suspension.

We need to get some decent lower rear springs made for these

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Own a D3 R-design with sports pack , which i specified due to the small cost increase over the tinted windows option.

1. Ride height: I cant easily visually distinguish between the 10mm lower vehicles and standard. ( i think the higher rear end looks cool)

2. Adjustable steering: currently set to high but sometimes i change it to low. i find its not such a noticeable change.

3. Sports Suspension: Not too firm for me. Reviews say even the standard suspension is too firm, however this is not my experience of V40s, - my car has the 18" ixion wheels so i was really worried, but the ride is extra comfy!

these are all subjective and i would advise any prospective buyer to test a vehicle with the spec they intend to purchase if they have any concerns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts